IGNORED

Opinions on lofted Hybrids? How lofted is too lofted.

Note: This thread is 3049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello Universe,

This isn't a Shane needs a lofted hybrid question... It's more of a gather some opinions on lofted Hybrids.

First a story about this, I was playing with a friend of mine a couple months ago. We were messing around on the range and he was hitting this hybrid... And it was only going about 160 yards. I asked if he was struggling with distance, and he replied "No" this thing is my magic club, I looked in his bag, and he had FIVE HYBRIDS! everything from a 3-hybrid down to a 7-hybrid. 

Most of you know I'm not super old (I'll be 29 in February), my friend is a couple years older than I, of course I asked the question of why he would need that many Hybrids. He went on to tell me how much better he hits them than irons, and though he hits the 6 and 7-iron well he's more consistent with the Hybrids... I hit his 7-hybrid on the range (31°) and it is a magic club. The one knock I would have had to have is, they seemed long (he had his custom made to be only a smidge longer than than the numbered iron).

So here's a few questions for the universe:

1] Anyone actually playing a high lofted hybrid or two (28° or higher)

2) Is there a limit on this? I mean I've seen Tour Edge have entire sets be iron-woods, and some whole sets be Hybrids on eBay.

3) if you have issues with them, What are they?

I will answer later after the universe responds... It's a good topic, one we really haven't touched upon yet.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Hello Universe,

This isn't a Shane needs a lofted hybrid question... It's more of a gather some opinions on lofted Hybrids.

First a story about this, I was playing with a friend of mine a couple months ago. We were messing around on the range and he was hitting this hybrid... And it was only going about 160 yards. I asked if he was struggling with distance, and he replied "No" this thing is my magic club, I looked in his bag, and he had FIVE HYBRIDS! everything from a 3-hybrid down to a 7-hybrid. 

Most of you know I'm not super old (I'll be 29 in February), my friend is a couple years older than I, of course I asked the question of why he would need that many Hybrids. He went on to tell me how much better he hits them than irons, and though he hits the 6 and 7-iron well he's more consistent with the Hybrids... I hit his 7-hybrid on the range (31°) and it is a magic club. The one knock I would have had to have is, they seemed long (he had his custom made to be only a smidge longer than than the numbered iron).

2) Is there a limit on this? I mean I've seen Tour Edge have entire sets be iron-woods, and some whole sets be Hybrids on eBay.

I will answer later after the universe responds... It's a good topic, one we really haven't touched upon yet.

I always have the 3H in the bag. For the 4, I've used either a hybrid or hybrid iron like the Mizuno Fli Hi. I can hit a 4 iron, but get more height with the 4H, which helps me stick shots on the green. 

I picked up a 5H (Titleist 915) used to see what it would feel like. There is a hole on my league course that it a smidge too long for my 5 iron and the 4H will hit the green, but go off the back. The 5H was the right distance. 

That being said, it wasn't perfect. From the fairway, I was getting better results with my 5 iron, so I switched back. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The basic problem with a hybrid as opposed to a blade type iron is workability.  That being said, you could probably play hybrids till about a 9 iron provided your goal is to play well and smart and not have a need to work the ball like the pro's do.  The wedges obviously cannot be hybrids

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

8 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Hello Universe,

I hit my 5 iron about 185-190, but it's stressful and is probably the hardest club in my bag to hit. I swing plenty hard and should have no issues with being able to hit a 5i on paper, but if you gave me a free 5H, it's going in my bag and I'm swallowing my pride. Hybrids are so much easier to hit and elevate. Do they go too high sometimes? Totally. Worthwhile trade off? Yah. 

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I can hit my 5 iron 175-180, but that's only when I get it high in the air. On average I hit it about 165-170, not much more than my 6 iron. I like having it my bag though for all those punch shots out of the trees, which unfortunately, happen at least 4 or 5 times a round.

When I want to hit 175-180 to the green, I choke up on my 4-hybrid  an inch so, which means I don't have to worry about it going too high if there's a lot of wind.

I am playing a 28 H and have played a 30 H previously. The 28 is my most dependable fun club in the bag - in the summer, it is 160-172, depending on where I grip it. High, drop, stop except on baked greens, where you might see 4-5 yards or so of roll. I find the higher lofted hybrids have a lighter, livelier feel. Once you get to 22 and below, I have found difference in feel/sound - a heavier feel and not as pleasing.

I carry a 3 and 5 wood, sometimes a 7 wood, maybe a 9 wood (new).  When I do not carry the 7 and 9 wds, I go 22, 25, 28 in hybrids although I think going with 22 and 28 may be sufficient.

Do not fear the 28. When you find the right one, it's accurate and dependable - just watch the shaft length. I usually go shorter than standard length for more control and closer to iron length.

I am using the Recoil 460 in the current set - but may eventually tinker with the shaft in the 22 - more play is required.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

10 minutes ago, chspeed said:

I can hit my 5 iron 175-180, but that's only when I get it high in the air. On average I hit it about 165-170, not much more than my 6 iron. I like having it my bag though for all those punch shots out of the trees, which unfortunately, happen at least 4 or 5 times a round.

When I want to hit 175-180 to the green, I choke up on my 4-hybrid  an inch so, which means I don't have to worry about it going too high if there's a lot of wind.

I have two hybrids, both Adams.  One is the 19 degree 3H that has more of a fairway wood head, great from the fairway or if ball is sitting up in the tall stuff.  I also have an Adams Speedline 5H which came with my set that has more of the classic hybrid head shape (little smaller and more abbreviated like half of a fairway wood head).  I absolutely love that club, it is my club to swing when all else is failing on higher end of the bag.  It does good in all situations and especially like you said, for those punch shots, I have gotten very good at using it in that fashion.  I usually hit it about 160 yards but have on occassion really gotten hold of it.  One shot at Tarpon Springs I swear I hit it almost 200 yards when it was sitting up nicely in the rough.

11 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Hello Universe,

Not even what I consider "old", actually even 40 is considered very young in my world! :-P

In answer to your question, 5 hybrids sounds a little bit much for a 31-ish year old. Most of the people I know who carry that many hybrids are old enough that we would need to combine our ages together and still potentially be younger! :-D

No issues, as I've seen younger people than me carrying that many hybrids when they are starting out, or if they're my age and still want that same distance they had when they were 29 years old again. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

12 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Hello Universe,

I'm probably one of the lower handicappers (5.0) you will see using high lofted hybrids.  I have 5 hybrids (Callaway X2-Hot through the 6 and a Callaway Big Bertha for the 7)); 2 (16 degree), 4 (23 degree), 5 (25 degree), 6 (28 degree), & 7 (32 degree) hybrids.  I'd have an 8 hybrid if they made one that I liked (They don't), however I read somewhere that the benefit past the seven is supposedly not that much.  I just hit them more consistent then irons.  I think many players believe they need to shape their shots more than they really do.  I hit the hybrids higher than my irons and thus don't have to worry that much about fading them or drawing them (which I can do just like my irons) but the added height gets them to stop on a dime.  And the object is to get the ball on the green, you'd like to be as close as possible, but GIR's are King and nGIR's are Queen. So I love them, the only issue I have is that the lofts between the clubs is not consistent, as you can see with my set.   I may get rid of the 4 and go with a three just to get more separation.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

And FWIW, Bobby Jones (Jesse Ortiz Design) has a 35H - and they ran out of them when his new clubs were intro'd in 2014. I wanted to try one. I can hit a 5 and 6i but the Hybrid has more consistency. 

What's interesting is what will happen now that I am getting my arms unstuck, and picking up more speed and consistency. Think I will stick with the 28, and my 6i is 30, so it may hit the gap to go 6-PW and eliminate a lower hybrid. Interesting game.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I said I would respond after the universe did, So here it goes.

I do not play a lofted hybrid the most lofted hybrid I own is 23°, I do not believe that there is a limit to how far you can go, except maybe to stay out of the wedges.

My issue is for me, they are too long for the Club they are trying to replace. My friend was smart and had his trimmed down to ¾” longer than a standard 7-iron, because he plays ¾” longer than standard clubs. That being said the standard length of the 7-hybrid (Wilson D100) is the same length as the D100 4-iron. So if he didn't have his Hybrids/irons custom fit, he'd have a 2" length difference between his 7h and 8i... That's my issue.

But what ever gets the ball in the hole.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I picked up a Lovett Gap Wedge at the local thrift store for $3.  I don't play it.  I just couldn't pass it up.

Looks to be about 60* or so.

http://www.golftheunitedstates.com/images/stories/full/ea151a58c611db30b50990b1f1464ef2.jpg

Edited by vangator

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

1 minute ago, vangator said:

I picked up a Lovett Gap Wedge at the local thrift store for $3.  I don't play it.  I just couldn't pass it up.

Looks to be about 60* or so.

http://www.golftheunitedstates.com/images/stories/full/ea151a58c611db30b50990b1f1464ef2.jpg

I've specifically gone to thrift stores to look for golf clubs after all you guys talk about finding deals there. Never found so much as a headcover in any of these stores, much less clubs. You guys have better thrift stores haha

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

The past few years I've played Cleveland Hibores (hybrid iron set) and Adams A12OS (3H thru 7H), and really enjoyed the idea of playing hybrids in the mid-iron lengths ... today, I have Cobra Baffler XL hybrids (4H thru 7H) in my set, and feel these best perform for me and my game.  BTW, I'm a 55-year old lefty who needs all the help I can get equipment-wise ...

Mike   

On 12/9/2015 at 1:03 AM, onthehunt526 said:

Hello Universe,

Most of you know I'm not super old (I'll be 29 in February),

Now that's funny to this 67 year old duffer

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 2:12 PM, dkolo said:

I've specifically gone to thrift stores to look for golf clubs after all you guys talk about finding deals there. Never found so much as a headcover in any of these stores, much less clubs. You guys have better thrift stores haha

This Christmas break I'll be making the rounds to the local shops.  My wife knows where they all are.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Note: This thread is 3049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!