IGNORED

New clubs suggestions...

TN94z
Note:Β This thread is 3012 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I am in the market for a new set of clubs for my almost 14 year old. He still has the Ping Moxie youth set and is about to grow out of them. I want to get him a full set since he will be playing competitive golf next year. What set would you guys suggest? I want to take him to get him fitted as much as he can be.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's good that your son is into the game, if you want to stick with PING they are probably the best for fitting, Pricey, but the best for fitting. If you want to get just a basic Dynamic fit and save some money, just get the specs and get Tour Edge... I would steer clear of the box sets unless you pay $800 and get the Hot Launch... The Hot Launch line Tour Edge's cost effective line, where you can get a combo set for $500, the Driver is $200, Β a Fairway $120, Extra Hybrids are $100.... Also Tour Edge recently changed its policy on iron sets, you now can purchase as few as 4 irons of any in-line set, up to every iron they make in the set... And the individual club rate is the set divide by 8. Though they don't allow substitutions in box sets.Β 

In conclusion, Tour Edge will save you money.

What's in Shane's Bag?Β  Β  Β 

Ball: 2022 :callaway:Β Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8Β° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple DiamondΒ Β H: :callaway:Β Apex Pro 21 20Β°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway:Β Jaws Raw 50Β°, 54Β°, 60Β° UST Recoil 110Β Putter: :odyssey:Β Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Also, at what age should a kid get a full set of clubs? If he needs a full set, then that will be a big jump in price. I don't mind paying it if that's what he needs to be competitive in school, but don't want to pay it if I don't have to....just looking for opinions.

Bryan A

I don't have a specific suggestion on what clubs to get. Β Someone like @iacasΒ would know better, however someone knowledgable would know whether you can find club heads that he likes and then if he grows, re-shafting should be cheaper than buying new clubs depending on his height. Β 

In other words if he outgrows the clubs for length, you can re-shaft them longer. Β Club lengths are relative to hands from the ground so I can't imagine that you would put a length that would un-balance the club. Β If my kids were at this age that is what I would talk about with a golf pro. Β 

Β 

I started playing at 14 and had a regular set at 15. Β 

Edited by imsys0042

β€”Adam

Β 

3 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

I don't have a specific suggestion on what clubs to get. Β Someone like @iacasΒ would know better, however someone knowledgable would know whether you can find club heads that he likes and then if he grows, re-shafting should be cheaper than buying new clubs depending on his height. Β 

In other words if he outgrows the clubs for length, you can re-shaft them longer. Β Club lengths are relative to hands from the ground so I can't imagine that you would put a length that would un-balance the club. Β If my kids were at this age that is what I would talk about with a golf pro. Β 

Β 

I started playing at 14 and had a regular set at 15. Β 

Thanks. I'm really thinking that I should get him a full set. He's probably at the age now to where he could understand and control them enough to benefit from having them. And going into competitive golf, I don't want him in a position where he needs a club that he doesn't have. So maybe typing this out and hearing it in my head has helped make my decision...lol.

Bryan A

Is he taking lessons? What does his instructor say? What is his handicap? What are his distances/gaps with his current clubs?Β  These are the factors I would consider.

What is a full set?

Even many pros no longer play with what was traditionally considered a "full set". He may only need 5-6-7-8-9 irons, a driving club, a hybrid or two, a couple of wedges and a putter. At the end of the day, he needs a set of tools that gets him around the courses he will play.

I am all for quality, though. A better instrument is easier to play.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 SΒ Β Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;Β Β Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts-Β TT AMT Red S300Β ;Β WedgesΒ Vokey SM8Β 56-10DΒ Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5Β Β Ball:Β Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

30 minutes ago, dbuck said:

Is he taking lessons? What does his instructor say? What is his handicap? What are his distances/gaps with his current clubs?Β  These are the factors I would consider.

What is a full set?

Even many pros no longer play with what was traditionally considered a "full set". He may only need 5-6-7-8-9 irons, a driving club, a hybrid or two, a couple of wedges and a putter. At the end of the day, he needs a set of tools that gets him around the courses he will play.

I am all for quality, though. A better instrument is easier to play.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

He has taken lessons in the past but will not start again until February. His future instructor says he for sure needs a full set playing high school golf. He hasn't played consistent enough this year to keep a handicap, so I am not sure on that one. There are gaps. I mean his youth set only came with Dr, 3w, 4i hybrid, 7i, 9i, SW, and putter, so he needs more clubs to fill the gaps for sure.

What I mean by full set, is a full set for that age...not necessarily 14 clubs, but enough to fill the gaps I was mentioning above. Exactly! He needs a set of tools to allow him to be as competitive as possible on any course he plays and that's what I am after. The youth set is nowhere near that point but I don't think he necessarily needs to max amount of clubs either. We will see.

I have scheduled him a fitting tomorrow so we will see how that goes and what we can and can't get away with

Bryan A

Well, we went to the fitting today. Pretty good session. He tried Ping, Titleist, Mizuno, Taylor made, etc...pretty much all the bigger name brands. He ended up hitting the Ping G30 the best overall. I'm going to hate having to buy him a new set now that he has stepped up to adult clubs...haha. It looks like we will end up with the Ping G30 driver and irons 5-SW with graphite shafts, no 3w, Titleist 21* and 25* hybrids, and probably a Ping blade style putter. That combination pretty much filled all of his yardage gaps. The fitter suggested holding of on a set of wedges until his skill level gets a little better. We will see. I haven't decided whether to order these yet or not.

Bryan A

Opinions....should I go ahead and pull the trigger on the setup I mentioned above? It's pretty expensive. Or should I just buy an off the shelf set until his swing has progressed more from working with his teacher? I understand the importance of the fitting and I guess as his swing changes, I can have the lie angles and shafts changed later. But if he is going to play competitively for the school, I don't want the clubs to be what holds him back from being the best he can be.

@mvmac @iacas What are your opinions on this subject?

Bryan A

• Administrator

I don't have an opinion per se because I don't know how serious he is, how you wish to spend your money, etc.

I will only say that playing really ill-fitting equipment is generally not very good for a player's development. That said, if they grip down on some clubs for awhile, they can provide years of "growth potential." Natalie grips down on clubs that are a bit too big for her still.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, TN94z said:

Opinions....should I go ahead and pull the trigger on the setup I mentioned above? It's pretty expensive. Or should I just buy an off the shelf set until his swing has progressed more from working with his teacher? I understand the importance of the fitting and I guess as his swing changes, I can have the lie angles and shafts changed later. But if he is going to play competitively for the school, I don't want the clubs to be what holds him back from being the best he can be.

@mvmac @iacas What are your opinions on this subject?

I can only say that when my 14 yr old started playing high school golf, I bit the bullet and bought a full set. I then bought two more sets as he went through high school.

He was all-district for a couple of years, so somethingΒ worked. He did not want to work at the game after high school, did not build up his body during high school but was highly talented. He did not love the game sufficiently to take it to the next level and lacked focus. Too bad.Β Now 24, married and in the USAF, he says I was right -- he just goofed off too much in hs.

You can only put them in position to win ... what they do with their talent is up to them.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:
15 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't have an opinion per se because I don't know how serious he is, how you wish to spend your money, etc.

I will only say that playing really ill-fitting equipment is generally not very good for a player's development. That said, if they grip down on some clubs for awhile, they can provide years of "growth potential." Natalie grips down on clubs that are a bit too big for her still.

He "seems" serious and I don't mind spending the money if that's what he needs. I was asking you to get an opinion from a teacher's point of view

6 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

I can only say that when my 14 yr old started playing high school golf, I bit the bullet and bought a full set. I then bought two more sets as he went through high school.

He was all-district for a couple of years, so somethingΒ worked. He did not want to work at the game after high school, did not build up his body during high school but was highly talented. He did not love the game sufficiently to take it to the next level and lacked focus. Too bad.Β Now 24, married and in the USAF, he says I was right -- he just goofed off too much in hs.

You can only put them in position to win ... what they do with their talent is up to them.

Β 

Thanks. Good to hear the opinion from someone that has been in this exact situation.

Bryan A

I agree with @iacasΒ that playing ill-fitted equipment is typically not a good thing. Yes it is expensive and it would suck to spend the money when he might grow out of his clubs in a year. CoupleΒ options come to mind:

1. Get used set and adjusted the length and lie angleΒ to what he was fit for.
1b. Since he'll be growing, just adjust the lie angle (get it "close enough") and just have him grip down.

2. Buy the new clubs and have him re-fit in two years (or whenever he has a big growth spurt). You can always send them back to PING to add length, put in new shafts.Β adjust the lie angle, and adjust the swing weight. This is what I did with my son. I would also consider not going withΒ graphite shafts in his irons. PING makes lighter steel shafts that are really good, it'll save you some money and I think that's a better way to go for his development.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

13 minutes ago, mvmac said:

I agree with @iacasΒ that playing ill-fitted equipment is typically not a good thing. Yes it is expensive and it would suck to spend the money when he might grow out of his clubs in a year. CoupleΒ options come to mind:

1. Get used set and adjusted the length and lie angleΒ to what he was fit for.
1b. Since he'll be growing, just adjust the lie angle (get it "close enough") and just have him grip down.

2. Buy the new clubs and have him re-fit in two years (or whenever he has a big growth spurt). You can always send them back to PING to add length, put in new shafts.Β adjust the lie angle, and adjust the swing weight. This is what I did with my son. I would also consider not going withΒ graphite shafts in his irons. PING makes lighter steel shafts that are really good, it'll save you some money and I think that's a better way to go for his development.

Thanks for the reply. I was surprised when the club fitter said the graphite shafts would work best. I knew once he said that, the price was going to be a good bit higher. My thinking with the graphite shafts is that they would need to be replaced sooner than later. I mean, he has descent swing speed now and is only 14. If he was right handed, I wouldn't worry as much because I have some friend's who have RH sons a little younger that I could resell to. But Jacob is left handed and I only have one friend with a kid that's a lefty. He wouldn't buy them as he's not into golf as much.Β 

Well, I may just bite the bullet. If he's as serious as he says he is, I don't want him to be taking lessons and playing with ill fitting clubs. Thanks guys. I think I've made my decision.

Bryan A

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the clubs for him. I requested we go with a comparable steel shaft though. I want him to be the best he can be and having these new fitted clubs are the first step. I figure they should be here within 2 weeks.

Bryan A

8 minutes ago, TN94z said:

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the clubs for him. I requested we go with a comparable steel shaft though. I want him to be the best he can be and having these new fitted clubs are the first step. I figure they should be here within 2 weeks.

I think you will be happy with your decision.

My son turned 14 in August and my wife and I along with my parents got him as new set for his birthday. Sounds like a similar thought process you are going through. He works with a pro (who only coaches, doesn't work in a shop), so we consulted with him, and then had him fit with a different pro who I have bought my clubs off of for the past 10 years (he was named top Ping Clubfitter in Canada once, and several times for the province). We tried Ping, Titleist, Taylormade and Cobra, and ended going with the new Ping i irons for him, in 5-GW, and then got him a Glide SW, and a G30 22˚ hybrid. We got the irons in steel shaft too. 

He/we have been very happy with them. They are forgiving enough for him now, and he won't outgrow the set based on ability. One of the other key factors for us going with Ping is as mentionedΒ they will take them and adjust themΒ at no charge as he grows. He is about 5'10" now and has grown a lot over the last year, so as he keeps growing will be taking him back to the pro to have them checked out. If they need to be adjusted, we will send them down in the winter as he also plays hockey and doesn't get a much golf in during the winter.Having this option really took away my apprehension of dropping the cash on them; it is hard enough forking out $ for skates that he keeps outgrowing, so with the Ping clubs I know he will be set with them for a while.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blueΒ dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34"Β 

Note:Β This thread is 3012 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!