IGNORED

Split a Ball in Two... I Get to Take a Mulligan?

No Mulligans
Note: This thread is 3048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Didn't play this one right...

110 yard pitching wedge, I thought my swing was good but look up and think, Where did it go?  I then catch sight of it and also catch another object in the corner of my eye.  I hear two objects hit the ground.  I look at my divot to see if I took a real big divot, nope divot looks good.  Long story short, I split the ball in two.  

One half went about 20 yards and the other went about 50 yards. I choose the further ball, dropped a new ball and played from there.

After I got home from the round I look up the rule...

Am I reading the rules right?  ... I get to take a Mulligan!

20151210_072157.jpg

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

You get to take a Mulligan!

That's a helluv a "Slice".  Check with @mvmac maybe he can fix that problem.....:-O

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

What kind of filter do you have on the camera?  The grass looks like light purple.

Also, is that a range ball?  Or what brand of ball were you using.  It looks like a high viz yellow one, whatever it is.

Brian Kuehn

23 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

What kind of filter do you have on the camera?  The grass looks like light purple.

Also, is that a range ball?  Or what brand of ball were you using.  It looks like a high viz yellow one, whatever it is.

Samsung S3 for the camera, no filter.  Really early in the morning, browning kikuyu grass (I think).  Very low maintenance fairways, definitely not wall to wall perfect like a country club.

Tommy Armour ball I found.  I played it because of the yellow, good for the early morning... well not so good as it turns out.

Well I wouldn't fault you, but under the rules you should have played the replacement ball from where you split the ball. Maybe next time (if you're rules-conscious) if in doubt play two balls one from as close as possible to where last played and the other from the forward spot you chose in doubt.

Kevin

• billchao changed the title to Split a Ball in Two... I Get to Take a Mulligan?
28 minutes ago, natureboy said:

Well I wouldn't fault you, but under the rules you should have played the replacement ball from where you split the ball. Maybe next time (if you're rules-conscious) if in doubt play two balls one from as close as possible to where last played and the other from the forward spot you chose in doubt.

What I did, was to play from the further ball and count all my strokes.  That was my best guess at the moment, and resulted in about one more stroke than if I played by the rules.  Ended up playing the hole while violating the rules.  How to score that?  There's a long thread on that already.

5 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

What I did, was to play from the further ball and count all my strokes.  That was my best guess at the moment, and resulted in about one more stroke than if I played by the rules.  Ended up playing the hole while violating the rules.  How to score that?  There's a long thread on that already.

Fair point and probably a bit quicker for the group behind.

Kevin

1 hour ago, No Mulligans said:

You were in breach of Rule 5-3 which says the stroke is cancelled and you must play another ball from the same place as the one that split in two.  The penalty for the breach  is a loss of hole or a 2 stroke penalty.  In stroke play, therefore, discount the cancelled stroke but add on the 2 stroke penalty for your score.

So the way @No Mulligans played it, he gets to add insult to injury. The injury was the ball split in half, and the furthest one went about the distance of a fat sand wedge, then he dropped a fresh ball there and finishes the hole, and gets to add an insult of a 2 stroke penalty to his score. Nice. Maybe I got it wrong. You're making me do math. I suck at math. 

We'll look the other way this time. Stop hitting those shag balls. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

3 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

So the way @No Mulligans played it, he gets to add insult to injury.

Could be worse. At least he wasn't required to play both fragments and tally the scores together.:-P

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

On 12/15/2015 at 11:20 PM, ColinL said:

You were in breach of Rule 5-3 which says the stroke is cancelled and you must play another ball from the same place as the one that split in two.  The penalty for the breach  is a loss of hole or a 2 stroke penalty.  In stroke play, therefore, discount the cancelled stroke but add on the 2 stroke penalty for your score.

@ColinL agree with the 5-3 breach but the OP stated the spot was 50 yards from where the stroke was made - serious breach, perhaps?

A serious breach for hitting the equivalent of a fat sand wedge? lol. I think if I were his competitor I'd let that one fly.

*Penalty for Breach of Rule 5-3:

Match play - Loss of hole; Stroke play - Two strokes.

*If a player incurs the general penalty for a breach of Rule 5-3, there is no additional penalty under this Rule

Julia

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

A serious breach for hitting the equivalent of a fat sand wedge? lol. I think if I were his competitor I'd let that one fly.

*Penalty for Breach of Rule 5-3:

Match play - Loss of hole; Stroke play - Two strokes.

*If a player incurs the general penalty for a breach of Rule 5-3, there is no additional penalty under this Rule

It's not up to you as his fellow competitor.  The committee has the responsibility of determining whether he has committed a serious breach.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

True, but there is no additional penalty according to rule 5-3. Also, face the facts, when most of us play, we are "the committee."

Julia

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

True, but there is no additional penalty according to rule 5-3. Also, face the facts, when most of us play, we are "the committee."

I can tell you this, most committees would consider 50 yards to be a significant advantage, and thus a serious breach.

Rick

34 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

I can tell you this, most committees would consider 50 yards to be a significant advantage, and thus a serious breach.

1 hour ago, Martyn W said:

@ColinL agree with the 5-3 breach but the OP stated the spot was 50 yards from where the stroke was made - serious breach, perhaps?

Help me out on this, I'm probably just not thinking clearly at the moment.

This is a case where the player should have cancelled and replayed.  He did not, and continued with his broken ball, which was advanced albeit with a stroke that he counted and shouldn't have.

It would seem by your ruling that in almost all instances where the player did not cancel and replay there would be a SB, as in most cases the ball would be advanced closer to the hole.  Most times, when a player incurs a SB, it involves dropping/placing a ball closer to the hole than he should have, however an intervening stroke is not involved.  In this case the player did so, but with a stroke added.

Regards,

John

4 minutes ago, Dormie1360 said:

Help me out on this, I'm probably just not thinking clearly at the moment.

This is a case where the player should have cancelled and replayed.  He did not, and continued with his broken ball, which was advanced albeit with a stroke that he counted and shouldn't have.

It would seem by your ruling that in almost all instances where the player did not cancel and replay there would be a SB, as in most cases the ball would be advanced closer to the hole.  Most times, when a player incurs a SB, it involves dropping/placing a ball closer to the hole than he should have, however an intervening stroke is not involved.  In this case the player did so, but with a stroke added.

My impression was that he dropped a ball where the furthest piece of his original ball landed, not continue with the broken ball.  That would almost definitely be a serious breach under Rule 20-7 if he had advanced it 50 yards.

Rick

Note: This thread is 3048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!