IGNORED

Rule Prohibiting Caddies/Partners from Lining up Players

iacas
Note: This thread is 2991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Caddies/Partners Lining up Players  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support a rules change that would prohibit a caddie or partner from lining up a player?

• Yes
    • No

• Administrator

The poll above asks it pretty plainly, and to it I will say "yes." I voted yes.

I support prohibiting a caddie or partner from being on the extension of the line after the player has taken his (or her) stance.

Rule 14-2b currently says:

b. Positioning of Caddie or Partner Behind Ball 

A player must not make a stroke with his caddie, his partner or his partner's caddie positioned on or close to an extension of the line of play or line of putt behind the ball. 

Exception: There is no penalty if the player's caddie, his partner or his partner's caddie is inadvertently located on or close to an extension of the line of play or line of putt behind the ball.

I would modify it to say:

b. Positioning of Caddie or Partner Behind Ball 

A player must not take his stance with his caddie, his partner or his partner's caddie positioned on or close to an extension of the line of play or line of putt behind the ball. 

Exception: There is no penalty if the player's caddie, his partner or his partner's caddie is inadvertently located on or close to an extension of the line of play or line of putt behind the ball.

It doesn't prevent a caddie from pointing at a spot on the green, or standing near the top of a hill so the player can see where to aim, etc.

If you support the idea but don't like the way I wrote it up, please put forth your own idea.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted "no" before I read the part about taking their stance. In my opinion I can help someone read a putt, but once they address the ball it's all on them. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I voted yes. Aiming your body for your shots is part of the game and players should do that themselves.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The player should have to to the playing, including the aiming.  

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I voted "yes", but am not really sure how much difference it will actually make?

If they take their stance and get that "help" from a caddie or partner, but have not made their stroke yet it seems like the caddie or partner would have to move before they make their stroke anyway and this is potentially detracting from any of the "help" they got aligning the putt? Basically, anyone needing help with that kind of gross alignment is more likely to miss the putt anyway?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I voted no.  I think it's an unnecessary rule.  I just don't think there is any benefit in having someone help you line up unless you're a beginner.  Certainly PGA pros don't really benefit from being helped.  No need to make a rule where one is not needed.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I voted "yes", but am not really sure how much difference it will actually make?

If they take their stance and get that "help" from a caddie or partner, but have not made their stroke yet it seems like the caddie or partner would have to move before they make their stroke anyway and this is potentially detracting from any of the "help" they got aligning the putt?

As it stands now, the caddie or partner can stand behind the player, help the player align their feet and/or clubface, and is only required to step away before the player makes a stroke, and that seems to be what you're describing.  What @iacas is proposing is that the caddie must not stand behind the player while the player is aligning him(or her)self, the player must accomplish that alignment all on their own.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I voted no, and basically for the same reasons as @No Mulligans.  It doesn't seem necessary.  I don't believe that many (any?) of the pros whose caddies we see doing this are actually relying on them to line them up, but rather just as one extra little bit of psychological assistance.  I'll admit, I'd prefer they didn't resort to that, but I'd rather that than some rinky dink penalty being applied because some player was a little too quick to place his putter behind the ball for a crucial putt at the end of a major - he got nervous and forgot to wait until his caddy sidestepped 12" and lost his chance at the US Open because of it.

FWIW, I have seen this on the PGA Tour as well and not just LPGA.

Scott

My Swing Thread

2 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

FWIW, I have seen this on the PGA Tour as well and not just LPGA.

Yup ... Rickie Fowler is the most prominent player I've seen doing this.

It looks a little lame, but whats worse?  Seeing his caddy stand behind him for a half a second before he pulls the trigger, or watching Phils caddy line up every putt from every angle, including standing over it with a wedge in his hand like he's about to hit it sometimes?

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

Yup ... Rickie Fowler is the most prominent player I've seen doing this.

It looks a little lame, but whats worse?  Seeing his caddy stand behind him for a half a second before he pulls the trigger, or watching Phils caddy line up every putt from every angle, including standing over it with a wedge in his hand like he's about to hit it sometimes?

I get your point. The only difference though is caddy is not lining up the putter and players feet in that case. On the course, the caddy is still advising where to aim, which is like reading a putt.

Scott

My Swing Thread

10 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I get your point. The only difference though is caddy is not lining up the putter and players feet in that case. On the course, the caddy is still advising where to aim, which is like reading a putt.

Agreed - but I don't believe the caddy is actually lining them up anyway.  I've never seen or heard them adjust the player - just nod or go "good" and step aside.  (Not saying it doesn't happen, but I haven't noticed it)  That's why I think it's just another of those silly psychological things that these "fragile" ;) players are asking their caddies to do.

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

I voted no, and basically for the same reasons as @No Mulligans.  It doesn't seem necessary.  I don't believe that many (any?) of the pros whose caddies we see doing this are actually relying on them to line them up, but rather just as one extra little bit of psychological assistance.  I'll admit, I'd prefer they didn't resort to that, but I'd rather that than some rinky dink penalty being applied because some player was a little too quick to place his putter behind the ball for a crucial putt at the end of a major - he got nervous and forgot to wait until his caddy sidestepped 12" and lost his chance at the US Open because of it.

I voted Yes and I think the exception protects against @Golfingdad's scenario. Although, I'd hate to see nit-picky debates about "inadvertently". 

Could wreak havoc on a Bradley-Jimenez pairing!

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

No.  I think that's a slippery slope.  

The caddie is acknowledged as the equivalent of the player in too many aspects of the rules.  I see no reason to break out that one particular aspect of the team....

• Upvote 2
  • Informative 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I voted no because there are already too many rules in the game of golf.

Besides, the player, on their own still has to make the stroke to hole out. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Not sure what existing problem your proposal would remedy.

Get a load of this, however:

14-2/1 Player Aligns Partner's Club Before Stroke

Q. A player aligns his partner's putter and then moves away before his partner plays. Is this permissible?

A. Yes. Rule 14-2 (Assistance) does not apply prior to making a stroke.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

22 minutes ago, David in FL said:

No.  I think that's a slippery slope.  

The caddie is acknowledged as the equivalent of the player in too many aspects of the rules.  I see no reason to break out that one particular aspect of the team....

Well put. Of all the things the pro caddies do for their players this one is pretty far down the list in terms of effecting how the player plays. No need to outlaw it simply because it looks lame.

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Note: This thread is 2991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!