IGNORED

My Swing (alienator)

alienator
Note: This thread is 2953 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 1 and 1/2 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 20
My typical ball flight is: Slight Fade
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: high slice and low hook with driver.

Videos: 

Edited by alienator

You go from shallow to steep. That is the primary reason you hit a fade to a slice. If you actually reversed this you would transition to a draw. Ideally you'd want the club to more on the right for the whole swing. Definitely get more upright. 

A3-5.thumb.png.a50913449212e122169061bf9

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hello alienator! 

I recommend putting a face-on view video, as well; that angle can help determine things that DTL can't see. 

From what I can see in the DTL: I would recommend keeping the right arm tighter to the chest as it goes back. Your hands go out and away from you, resulting in an under-plane backswing, and as a result you steepen on the way down to compensate. Keeping that right arm in makes it easier to swing out on the backswing, and hit from the inside, instead of swinging in as you currently do. 

You have a pretty good swing for a 20 handicapper, and you obviously have put in a lot of work and improved rapidly. Get that FO view video up, and we'll be able to see more. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Thanks very much for taking the time to help me out. I have been working on my shallow backswing and this is how far I have gotten. I do what I think is helping video it and notice it changed but so slight that it just makes me giggle. Every time I make a change it feels so extreme and after I video and look it's such a tiny difference. 

I took some face on video as well or at least attempted to but because it was after work and the sun was getting low it was just too hard to make out anything with the sun glaring behind me. We have been lucky to get some decent warm days here and looks like I might be able to hit the range this weekend and try again at a better face on video. 

Ill try try keeping my arm in while I'm there and see how that works for me. It's something I was doing at one time but I tend to be a tinkerer and always working on something and somewhere in the process I have changed to getting my arm away and hadn't even realized it. 

I decided to take a few lessons this winter and decided on a place that had gc2s thinking they might be a little more modern in their teaching. I've taken three lessons now though and the fix I got was to strengthen my grip which in all honesty does tend to help with my bad miss but also takes about ten yards off my peak height and makes every shot like a punch shot. I don't really feel just twisting the club face closed is the answer so I thought I would see what kind of advice I got here. 

Also they like to put me in the kvest to work on posture and turn. I know my hip turn isn't perfect but I didn't feel it was that bad. I also feel I could get my shoulders a little more open at Impact but they just want to work on my posture the entire time and I really don't think it's that bad. 

Edited by alienator
Syntax

A wealth of information in these videos. I know when I first started here, I enjoyed digging through the various videos, organized by "key." At first, I think it's safe to say that most of us focus on keys 1-3: keeping the head relatively steady, shifting weight forward on the downswing, and at impact having the hands in front of the ball so that there is "inline" contact.

With those 3 things understood, that gives you a foundation to review your video on your own to see if you're achieving these commonalities with better players. It's good to know 4 & 5 too, but as I understand it, they're more for fine-tuning contact, and it's difficult to start there if 1-3 aren't in good shape (I could be wrong in that impression!).

The hardest part is figuring out which area to focus on, and for us relative beginners, that is often best left to instructors. There are some talented folks here on TST to help with that, like the 2 gentlemen above. But it doesn't hurt to watch the instruction videos, so that you can get a feel for where the comments you'll get are coming from. There's typically a method to their madness.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

You seem , going by your swing and scores ,past the big move stage.An interesting observation with most of the new "my swing" pages is the ability to maintain a truly straight stiff lead arm on the takeaway.This sets up the other big joint,the wrist, to perform properly but can't provide the grip with the essentials.Your pro was probably right in discussing the grip,but weak vs strong is not specific enough.

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

11 minutes ago, collapse said:

You seem , going by your swing and scores ,past the big move stage.

What does this mean?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, collapse said:

You seem , going by your swing and scores ,past the big move stage.

I've yet to meet a 20-handicapper who is past needing changes to the "big move" stuff.

@alienator, @collapse has a long history here (despite his short time on the forum) and it's advisable to ignore what he has to say, as he's yet to back anything up or answer any direct questions or points raised against the nonsense he posts.

And no, @collapse, this is not an invitation to continue this discussion here, and pollute yet another Member Swing thread.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

I've yet to meet a 20-handicapper who is past needing changes to the "big move" stuff.

ok...maybe an "Are all 20 HC equal" thread is needed. 

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, collapse said:

ok...maybe an "Are all 20 HC equal" thread is needed. 

Nope. Nor did I say anything like that, or implying that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Try to post a face-on video if you can @alienator.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

2 hours ago, Bogeyaah said:

Which camera do you use to capture your videos, if I might ask?

iPhone 6+ I've been very pleased with the 240fps slow mo video it takes. It was a cold day, about 42 degrees so I was wearing all black to soak up some sun to keep warm I know that's not ideal for analyzing nor is the sun position but I wasn't considering posting the videos anywhere when I took them just for personal use.  I'll try to get some better ones up as soon as weather permits. 

OT: I think the video quality is great. I am due a free phone upgrade due to my contract extension and I am planning to get an iPhone 6s+ too to capture proper swing videos. The Sony Action Cam looks good too. Many thanks for your feedback.

So I have been working on taking the club back a little steeper and droping in under on the way back down, the opposite of what I was doing as suggested. The weather has been terrible so I have only been able to hit in my garage so I really cant tell how good the flight is but it "feels" better. Please excuse the video quality as it was inside my garage. I am trying to over exaggerate the move so it sticks when I am not thinking about it. I also captured a face on video while I was practicing.

19 hours ago, alienator said:

So I have been working on taking the club back a little steeper and droping in under on the way back down, the opposite of what I was doing as suggested. The weather has been terrible so I have only been able to hit in my garage so I really cant tell how good the flight is but it "feels" better. Please excuse the video quality as it was inside my garage. I am trying to over exaggerate the move so it sticks when I am not thinking about it. I also captured a face on video while I was practicing.

Looks pretty good. What sort of simulator are you using in the video?

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

2 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Looks pretty good. What sort of simulator are you using in the video?

That's the fitting software for accusport vector pro. Can't wait to get a skytrak cause the vector is so touchy to set up and doesn't seem to be that accurate

Note: This thread is 2953 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!