IGNORED

Where are you on the distance issue?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

PGA Tour players hit the ball too far...  

38 members have voted

1. 1. PGA Tour players hit the ball too far...

• Agree
    • Disagree
    • Indifferent

Interesting post from Geoff Shackelford. Where do you stand on the distance issue?

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/12/22/2015-wrap-where-are-we-on-the-distance-issue.html

--Those of us pointing out the issue are no longer treated like lepers for suggesting the ball goes too far. Enough courses across the land have had to deal with safety or function issues. This has meant a much larger audience does not need the issue explained to them. Even better, many more look down on the governing bodies for continuing to work tirelessly not to act.

--A surprising-but-still too-low number of golf fans recognize that distance is relative. This continues to quietly render the real bombers and their occasional 382-yarders less awe-inspiring than they should be. There is also the overall relatability factor, where too many just find pro golf a little less fun to watch because so few can relate to 210-yard 7-irons.

--The PGA Tour driving distance average only went up a yard in 2015. Despite so many obvious signs that players continue to get longer either through equipment, fitting technology or fitness, what gives? Because this last point allows the governing bodies to go back to counting their millions instead of acting. So how is it that the PGA Tour number is not seeing a huge spike even as we see players regularly CARRY the ball 300 yards?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted "disagree" but I have to say I'm not the most informed person on this "issue".  I love watching them hit it far.  I can totally relate to a 200 yard 7iron just like I can relate to a pro football player diving over the line into the endzone.  I can't do these things . . .but I still like to watch them being done. 

I also can see the argument about needing to re-tool golf courses to manage ever increasing distances.  I agree that distance is relative.  You could make some kind of equipment change that shortens everybody's drives by 25% and the game would still be just as exciting. 

I'd like to see it done more with course design, though . .as in tighter fairways and more punishing rough.  Stop raking bunkers.  That sort of thing. 

• Upvote 2

There's a reason why we watch the pros in larger numbers vs the local high schools, we want to see the best that a person in a sport can achieve. I relate to those pro distances by saying "even if I had the perfect fitting clubs with all of the most modern equipment, Im still not as good which speaks to their amazing talents".

I am indifferent and voted as such. The pros, other than putting/chipping, play a totally different game game than I do. They can hit it as far, or short as they want.

Myself, my long game is maxxed out. :-P

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I would need more information. First, is it hurting the game? Is viewership declining because they hit it far? Are people stopping playing themselves because the Pros hit it far? Unless it is really hurting the game, I don't see a real issue with it.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The only reason I watch professional golf is to be amazed by people who can do things I can't.

i don't have a problem with baseball players that can hit a 90 mph breaker either....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

My vote was "indifferent."  The pro game is so totally different than the game I play that it is a different sport.  I rarely watch the PGA Tour anymore, limiting my viewing to majors. 

When the old farts in my club start to shoot even par with 300+ yard drives, I will lead the call to action!  ;-)

Brian Kuehn

I don't mind the distance, but I think the PGA Tour may go to a "Tour Ball" due to the fact there is no more real estate and  the Tour may find its Pros can take advantage of courses too often. If Bomb and Gouge becomes the norm, then the game becomes less interesting. Less interesting can mean less viewership.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

I don't mind the distance, but I think the PGA Tour may go to a "Tour Ball" due to the fact there is no more real estate and  the Tour may find its Pros can take advantage of courses too often. If Bomb and Gouge becomes the norm, then the game becomes less interesting. Less interesting can mean less viewership.

Why?

Average of Top 5 Driving Distance on PGA Tour
2005 - 313.46
2014 - 310.36

Median Driving Distance on PGA Tour
2005 - 288.4
2014 - 289.8

That's a decade right there of no movement toward a "Tour ball." And they'd have to get Titleist, Callaway, etc. to agree to it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

Why?

2005 - 313.46
2014 - 310.36

2005 - 288.4
2014 - 289.8

That's a decade right there of no movement toward a "Tour ball." And they'd have to get Titleist, Callaway, etc. to agree to it.

Great stats.

Just repeating the arguments I've heard for a "Tour" ball to generate discussion.

I wonder if much of the distance these days has to do with more distance from irons and their ability to generate more ballspeed. 

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

42 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Great stats.

Just repeating the arguments I've heard for a "Tour" ball to generate discussion.

I wonder if much of the distance these days has to do with more distance from irons and their ability to generate more ballspeed. 

Are you speaking of distance on the average? Judging from the stats Iacas posted, I don't see much distance difference at all. I personally think there are just some guys out there that have taken the "athletic" portion of the game to another level.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

2 hours ago, TN94z said:

Are you speaking of distance on the average? Judging from the stats Iacas posted, I don't see much distance difference at all. I personally think there are just some guys out there that have taken the "athletic" portion of the game to another level.

Not much distance gain/loss recently on drivers... I don't know about irons, but it seems Touring Pros are hitting irons to great distance or maybe it's what you hear on the television from the bigger hitters.

33 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Not much distance gain/loss recently on drivers... I don't know about irons, but it seems Touring Pros are hitting irons to great distance or maybe it's what you hear on the television from the bigger hitters.

Yeah, I was curious on the average distance for irons today so I did a search. I ran across this table from June 6th, 2014.

pgatourstats.png

I voted indifferent. I'm not 100% sure how I feel about the distance issue yet. I enjoy seeing the long ball hit but don't want the game coming down to bomb and gouge either.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Why?

2005 - 313.46
2014 - 310.36

2005 - 288.4
2014 - 289.8

2 hours ago, TN94z said:

Most of the damage was done in the 1995-2005 span. Titanium, COR, 460cc, Prov1, etc. IMHO I think the game would be better if they had kept the woods made of wood. Would've also saved golfers a lot of cash.

Firefox_Screenshot_2015-12-24T19-01-07.9

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I can't remember the last time I saw a professional consistently over-shooting a green on an approach shot, or consistently missing the fairway by hitting it through and into the rough or a hazard, so I'd say that no, they don't hit it too far.  If they're worried about hitting it too far, they have clubs in their bag that can mitigate this damage (the same reason I rarely hit driver on a par-3).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 3017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!