IGNORED

Best Municipals?

Note: This thread is 3909 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I heard that Gannon GC in Lynn Ma which is about 10 minutes from me has a national reputation as a good muni. I learn something new everyday.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being from Memphis, I can't say that I've played the Davey Crockett course, but I think I have heard of it. It's the one off of Hollywood Ave, correct?

Anywho... as for the best/hardest municipal course, I'd have to say that belongs to the Memphis Athletic Ministries course on Ball Road. There may be longer or prettier city courses here in Memphis, but none that I've played are more unforgiving than the MAM course.

Just my opinion.

Clubs in my Army-issued duffel-bag...

DTR Irons : 2-9
DCI Wedges : PW 48* & SW 56*
Driver : Mid-Size TP System2 9.5* Metalwood (5) 23*

• 4 weeks later...
Already mentioned by others but to agree two of my favorites were the Black course (Bethpage) and Crandon in Miami also.

Blog: http://emergencynine.com/

In my bag you'll find lots of left-handed clubs like these:
Driver: G10 9* TFC (stock) S
3 wood: G5 Aldila NV SIrons 4 thru P: MX-20 TTDG RWedges: MP T Series Chrome, Forged - 52/56/60Putter: CallieBall: B330Bag (carry): Tour Stand; (cart): 9" Staff Tour

There are a few good municipals in my area within 20 mins, but my favorite would be Cypress Creek. Challenging, yet fair, with a very tough finish(15-17). Fees range from $29 to $55, including cart. Best bang for your buck in the area.

http://cypresscreekgolfersclub.com/c...e_overview.php
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

• 2 weeks later...
You gotta love Harding Park. Being a junior and a SF resident, I can play there for $15-20. Another really good muni is Callippe Preserve, about 45 min east of SF.

905R 10.5* Aldila NV 65
904F 15* Graphite Design YS-6+
NVG2 UT 17* Fujikura Triple Action
755 3-PW Trispec steel
52/08, 58/08 rac TP Wicked putter (model 1)

There is a great new muni in Northern VA called Laurel Hills(Lorton, VA). Owned by Fairfax County parks assn. It was built on an old prison ground. Unfortunately it doesn't charge muni prices (89 bucks a pop). But it is worth it.

The best muni I've played in the Denver area is Riverdale Dunes, a Dye Designs links-style course in Brighton, CO. $43 on the weekends for non-residents. They also have a pretty solid parkland style course called Riverdale Knolls that's only $26 on the weekends.

I think I'm going to be joining the Men's club there this season. http://www.riverdalegolf.com

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

i'd add chaska town course in minnesota to the list as well.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

I haven't played a ton of places...and clearly Bethpage and the other famous ones are better than what I'll list. But my favorites have been West Seattle in Seattle (incredible views), Lions Municipal in Austin and Ali Wai in Honolulu.

When I was in high school in Memphis, TN the nearest course to my home was a new course in a extremely hilly area of NE Frayser called Davy Crockett. It had some of just about everything (except Country club manicuring) - elevated tees, target landing areas, elevated greens, doglegs that wrapped around hills that had no level lies, blind shots, lots of water, killer rough (10 yards off the fairway was usually lost), etc. To this day remains one of the toughest golf courses I have ever played and I have played a lot of great courses, including over half of the PGA tour courses. You would have a much better chance at shooting par your first time at Sawgrass in Ponte Vedre (with the famous island green at 17) than at Davy Crockett. I wonder what it is like today some 40 years later?

It's been a few years, but I liked Fred Enke in Tucson.

What is the definition of a "Muni" course? Does it have to be city/gov't owned?

G15 9* w/Aldila Serrano 63S
FT 4 wood w/ Aldila NVS 75S
i15 20* hybrid w/UST Mamiya Avix Core Tour Red 84S
4-PW MP-57 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 (+0.5")
52, 56 and 60 degree MP-10 Satin w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge FlexStudio Stock #4, BB25, Fastback 1.5 or Backstryke Blade..... @ 34"P...

• 7 months later...
Davy Crockett is one tough course and I love it! Not too much in the way of water hazards, but the rough is just as unforgiving and the trees and undergrowth seem to be giving the narrow fairways a bear-hug. They almost closed it down last year but decided not to and have been giving the course better funding. The course is improving drastically as a result. Right now they're running specials to build the customer base back up, and 18 holes with a cart is only $21. Additional rounds are $12 for the cart fee only.

Ciao,

Bob

Bob Huddleston
Always looking for people to golf with in Memphis

In My Bag - Gigagolf
Driver/Woods: GX Squared Ti 10.5 -- 3W: GX Squared Fairway 15

Hybrids/Irons

3 HY: GX920 Hybrid 20 -- 4 HY: GX920 Hybrid 23 -- 5-9: GX920 Irons

Wedges

Pw: GX920 46 -- Aw: GX920 51 -- Sw: GX920 56 -- Lw: GX920 60

What is the definition of a "Muni" course? Does it have to be city/gov't owned?

Been a while since this question was asked, but as this thread was revived and I saw that no one ever answered:

From: About.com Definition: A golf course owned by a city (municipality, hence the term). County-owned courses are also referred to as municipals. A city may contract out the day-to-day operations of the course to a golf-course management company, but as long as it is owned by the city (or county), it is called a municipal.
Any municpal discussion has to include Pacific Grove.

+1 on that; I just played it a couple of weeks ago. Great experience.

My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

If it has not been mentioned already, Los Verdes in Palos Verdes, Ca.

Where I play: Mission Viejo CC and
long Beach Skylinks

In My Red Cleveland Club Count Bag Today;
Hibore XLS 11.5* w/ Diamana Redboard Flowerband 63 S 2009 Launcher 3WD HT 17* w/ Graffalloy Epic 87g S Hibore XLS Hybrid 22* w/ Graffalloy Epic S and 25* w/ Project X 6.0 CG2 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0 HL...

Eisenhower Red Course is pretty good. They host a Champions Tour event there every year.

And of course Bethpage.
In the Bag:
Driver: Callaway FT-5
3 Wood: Ping G10
Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue TP(3)
Irons: Mizuno MX25(3-PW)Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin-Milled 54 and 60Putter: Odyssey Black Series #1

If it has not been mentioned already, Los Verdes in Palos Verdes, Ca.

Is it still a really long round? I remember it being in the 6 hour range.

Exodus bag
R7 Dual Driver, R7 3w
CGB Rescue 3
CGB max 4-PW
CG11 Black Pearl 52* Vokey Spin Milled 56/14 CG11 Black Pearl 60* Black Series 1

Of the ones I've played, Chambers Bay is the best by a wide margin.

In the normal price range, Ancil Hoffman in Sacramento, CA is my favorite. I try to play it whenever we visit family down there.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

going with the other posts... the bethpage black is in my opinion the best municipal . i live only 20 minutes away from the park, and i find it really enjoyable.

Note: This thread is 3909 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!