IGNORED

Real Feel (tm) golf mats on the "cheap"

Note: This thread is 3005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not exactly a novel idea, but wanting to try out the Country Club Elite/Real Feel golf mats, I have ordered their "mini" hitting strip which is 10 x 18. The plan is to cut out a rectangle of my 36 x 60 All turf Monster Mat and make an inlay. Mostly to see if there is any real difference (pardon the pun) without causing significant damage to my mat (which has held up very well by the way). Got it on ebay (best offer) for $29 and free shipping.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

follow up:  I received the Real Feel hitting strip. The turf is about the same as the Monster Mat (All Turf) but has a lot more poly backing and is not quite as soft. It lays rather "stiff". I may or may not cut out the rectangle in the larger mat (have not decided yet). The real feel is a bit more realistic feeling. In  the event I decide to make it an inlay, it would permit me to remove and take with me to the range. So for $29 a good investment.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

22 hours ago, Hacker James said:

follow up:  I received the Real Feel hitting strip. The turf is about the same as the Monster Mat (All Turf) but has a lot more poly backing and is not quite as soft. It lays rather "stiff". I may or may not cut out the rectangle in the larger mat (have not decided yet). The real feel is a bit more realistic feeling. In  the event I decide to make it an inlay, it would permit me to remove and take with me to the range. So for $29 a good investment.

A little strip of mat is really hard to tell from. Since, American Golf has switched to the really good mats, you could go and try them at one of the ranges in our area.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 4 weeks later...

Dose anyone ever use a "sod" for a hittiting surface when not at the range?  While using their own DIY home practice are? Gardening stores will have their supplies for sale pretty soon. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

(edited)
1 hour ago, Patch said:

Dose anyone ever use a "sod" for a hittiting surface when not at the range?  While using their own DIY home practice are? Gardening stores will have their supplies for sale pretty soon. 

doesn't sound like a bad idea. Not sure how long it would last or even hold up, provided you can even purchase one rectangle. I think it is sold in rolls. I may have mentioned before, Home Depot sells a driving mat (on line only) for less than $25 and it is every bit as good as the Real Feel, or Monster Mats.  You might even ask the greens keeper at your local course. I bet he/she would let you have one.  Heck, I have even hit off the artificial turf I layed in my back yard. No damage to the turf, but there are no divots, and feels a little "slick". Good for flop shots though.  (see photos on my prior post "Improved practice area",  under "balls, assessories" forum.)

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

For chips and pitches a piece of sod would last me a few weeks as long as I kept it watered. Full iron shots just a few days due to divots.   I use to pay $1.79 for a 2 X 3 foot piece from Home Depot, or Lowes.  That was several years ago. Biggest draw back I found was it was seasonal item. 

In My Bag:

3 hours ago, Patch said:

For chips and pitches a piece of sod would last me a few weeks as long as I kept it watered. Full iron shots just a few days due to divots.   I use to pay $1.79 for a 2 X 3 foot piece from Home Depot, or Lowes.  That was several years ago. Biggest draw back I found was it was seasonal item. 

why not just grade out a small area of land and actually plant it?

"James"

46 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

why not just grade out a small area of land and actually plant it?

Actually what I did was build a frame to fit the sod into. When it became torn up from too many bouts with my clubs, I would pull it up, and put in a new piece. I don't do this anymore, since we travel so much. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:

Note: This thread is 3005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!