IGNORED

Stubbornness or lack of research?: "Drive for Show, Putt for Dough"

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 2941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Patch said:

Glad you found the article. The 12 or 13 years I spoke about was Molinari starting his long game stats back in 2003, which is in the article. 

I'm not going to belabor the point, but that's neither what you said nor what the article said.

You said: "The idea that the long game is more important than the short game has been around for 12 or 13 years now."

Also, Molinari's stats encompassed everything, but he couldn't make sense of it until 2011.

And… the long game is still important even for golfers who don't hit it very far. You could make the argument that it's almost more important to them: on days when their long game is off they have NO chance, because their short game already has to perform at better-than-typical levels just for them to compete on their "good" long game days.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Could make the argument? No, there is no argument. If one is playing bogey golf and hitting about 4 GIR per round, it puts a ton of pressure on the short game to get up and down. Most of the time we're not getting up and down. There's that two putt and the bogey. For those of us who aren't long hitters who aren't making good contact on a given day, we're dead no matter how well we're chipping and putting. I've seen the doubles start piling up on shorter distance hitters who are having off days with their long game when they normally shoot mid 80s when things are clicking.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

18 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

Could make the argument? No, there is no argument. If one is playing bogey golf and hitting about 4 GIR per round, it puts a ton of pressure on the short game to get up and down. Most of the time we're not getting up and down. There's that two putt and the bogey. For those of us who aren't long hitters who aren't making good contact on a given day, we're dead no matter how well we're chipping and putting. I've seen the doubles start piling up on shorter distance hitters who are having off days with their long game when they normally shoot mid 80s when things are clicking.

Yes. And I'd like to ask Gary that even though a high percentage of shots occur at 100yds in, what a golfer did to GET to 100yds and in is critical. Lying 2 or 3 at 100yds out on a par 4 isn't doing much for your score beneficially speaking. Assuming I've avoided penalties I'd much rather be hitting wedge from the rough than 7i from the fairway.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Okay, since I am new here, and apparently this conversation has been going on for some time, I am going to sit back and follow along, but I would appreciate it if someone would do me a favor and tell me, when the question is asked, what is most important, the short game or the long game, what is meant by "more important?"   More important in what way, and more important to whom?   How do you define whether something is more important?  Thanks in advance for responding.  

It seems to me that distance is an advantage.   Being able to chip and putt well is also an advantage.   What makes one more of an advantage than the other?   Is this like arguing over what is more important to a car- the engine or the wheels?   The steering wheel or the gas pedal?  

The hackers I play with (including myself) need a lot more work on their short game than their long game, that's for sure.  We can all reach the green, or thereabouts, in regulation, but we chip and putt like crap.  

28 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

Okay, since I am new here, and apparently this conversation has been going on for some time, I am going to sit back and follow along, but I would appreciate it if someone would do me a favor and tell me, when the question is asked, what is most important, the short game or the long game, what is meant by "more important?"   More important in what way, and more important to whom?   How do you define whether something is more important?  Thanks in advance for responding.  

It seems to me that distance is an advantage.   Being able to chip and putt well is also an advantage.   What makes one more of an advantage than the other?   Is this like arguing over what is more important to a car- the engine or the wheels?   The steering wheel or the gas pedal?  

The hackers I play with (including myself) need a lot more work on their short game than their long game, that's for sure.  We can all reach the green, or thereabouts, in regulation, but we chip and putt like crap.  

First, welcome. Second, I seriously do not mean to peddle the book here but you really need to read "Lowest Score Wins (LSW). Everything you just asked is very clearly explained as well many other concepts you'll find very helpful. It's the best golf book I've ever read. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Marty2019 said:

Welcome @Marty2019.

Improving the short game and long game are both important. No one here will tell you not to practice the short game. What they will tell you is that the conventional philosophy of working more on the short game is wrong. They back this up with statistics in the book @Vinsk referenced - Lowest Score Wins.

Learning proper technique for a pitch, chip or flop, took me much less time to improve on than a full swing has. My putting is still terrible and I consider that a glaring weakness, but I don't lose as many strokes from missed putts as I do from OOB full swings.

Also, not everyone is the same. There are going to be those who get to a pretty good level with the full swing, only to lose strokes around the green. When that's the case, more time should be devoted to that weakness. But according to statistics (and personal experience), that is not typical. If you are reaching near or on the green on most holes, then perhaps you are an exception.

Yes, it would be nice to be able to pitch to within 3ft of the pin on every missed green. But, it would be nicer to hit that green more often, or not have to punch out from behind a tree (or take a penalty) after an errant tee shot, or leave yourself a long iron approach instead of a wedge because you didn't have confidence with a driver or wood on the previous shot.

Hopefully that explains what is meant by "more important".

Jon

1 hour ago, Marty2019 said:

It seems to me that distance is an advantage.   What makes one more of an advantage than the other?   Is this like arguing over what is more important to a car- the engine or the wheels?   The steering wheel or the gas pedal?  Being able to chip and putt well is also an advantage.  

Well, consider the difference in this way. Consider a Big Break style competition between two players: A- 5 HC and B- 18/20 HCP.

1. 10 shot attempts of 20 feet putt:

Player A will take appx. 18-19 shots (mostly 2 putt and maybe holing out couple of times, Player B will take 21-22 putts.

Player A wins by 3 shots over 10 tries.

2. 10 attempts of 40 feet chip:

A will get up and down 4/10, B will get up and down 0/10, and even flub twice. Even on the rest. Player A wins by 6 shots over 10 tries.

3. 10 attempts from 400 yards:

This is a DOUBLE whammy. Typical Player A is longer AND more accurate. Player A will get GIR/nGIR: 5-6/10. Player B 1/10. But he will also accumulate 'others' to the order of 7-8 shots additionally since he will hit many sub 200 yard drives, OBs, handcuffed behind trees etc, which will automatically cost him an additional attempts at nGIR/GIR.

Player A will win by 13-14 shots over 10 tries. That is being generous. I see this everyday.

Of course this is just an example and people can point out flaws in it here and there but it is typical and the point is that there not just a difference but it is or can be substantial. Everybody has exceptional days but above would be more typical. Long game is where you actually loose the lion's share of overall score difference.

The difference between scratch and pro is another comparison people love to make. The difference could be less between those two but it is still heavily weighted towards the long game. Of course as a few posters pointed out, LSW is a great read but there are also other threads on the topic on the site. I would encourage to read with an open unbiased mind. It is a fascinating study.

• Upvote 3

Vishal S.

When comparing pros, where their "short" games are similar, 40 yards off the tee is huge.  There are tournaments where a Pavin or Toms (relative shorter hitters) win a major, but most of the time, the guys driving the ball long and accurate win these things,

I watched the interview on the Golf Channel.  I believe GP's context was with what he calls "members" or average joe or jane.

We can make "stats" look like anything we want.  A simple example.  On a 400 yard par 4, player A hits a 250 yard drive and scores a 5.  Player B hits a 200 yard drive and scores an 8.  Was the difference in score because of the 50 yards?

Should player B spend their time getting a few more yards off the tee or work on the part of their game where they spent 7 strokes.

PS. I posted before your long post above.  My head still hurts.  Not to be facetious, but I think I may be better from 20 yards out than the longest putt on a green.

Edited by vangator

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, vangator said:

We can make "stats" look like anything we want.  A simple example.  On a 400 yard par 4, player A hits a 250 yard drive and scores a 5.  Player B hits a 200 yard drive and scores an 8.  Was the difference in score because of the 50 yards?

No, you can't make the stats look like anything you want. Yes, over a small enough sample size, like your one example, you can. But not over a large enough sample. At that point, the truth is exposed.

We're well past the small sample sizes in golf, at all levels of play.

17 minutes ago, vangator said:

Should player B spend their time getting a few more yards off the tee or work on the part of their game where they spent 7 strokes.

Once again that's not what this is about. It's not just about hitting the ball farther. And you're misleading by saying "where they spent 7 strokes." You're completely downplaying that a short drive, or a crooked drive, or a missed green, is "where they spent strokes" too.

15 minutes ago, vangator said:

PS. I posted before your long post above.  My head still hurts.  Not to be facetious, but I think I may be better from 20 yards out than the longest putt on a green.

Then you have a glaring weakness (putting), or you play on ridiculously large greens or something. Either way, you'd be an outlier.

At every level of play, the golfer is more likely to average fewer putts than getting up and down, and that's even true with the stipulation that I assign the longest putt possible while randomly choosing a short game shot location. Sometimes people take multiple shots just to escape a bunker…

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think that when someone has 9 major wins, 24 tour wins, and more than a hundred other worldwide wins, he is entitled to his misconceptions.  

And as a practical matter, while I have the utmost respect for the book, somehow I doubt that if he had read it in 1955 his career would have been more impressive.  It is a pretty hard sell to say that he didn't get as much or more out of his talent as anyone in golf history.

He probably doesn't understand the ball flight laws either.

But if I had to bet on a) someone who understands the ball flight laws perfectly, and b) someone who could play golf like Player did, I'm betting on the latter every time.  Knowledge is important.  But it gets trumped by skill.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• Administrator
1 minute ago, turtleback said:

And as a practical matter, while I have the utmost respect for the book, somehow I doubt that if he had read it in 1955 his career would have been more impressive.  It is a pretty hard sell to say that he didn't get as much or more out of his talent as anyone in golf history.

I don't think anyone's saying that.

They're just saying he would have better understood why he was good, or why Jack was good. Or Arnie, or Lee. They hit a lot more greens, and often hit it closer than others. They used their short games less often than other players.

He probably doesn't understand the ball flight laws either.

Many pros didn't. Many still don't.

But if I had to bet on a) someone who understands the ball flight laws perfectly, and b) someone who could play golf like Player did, I'm betting on the latter every time.  Knowledge is important.  But it gets trumped by skill.

Nobody's saying anything differently.

Insert my second paragraph here again. :-)

The fact is that longevity on the PGA Tour is measured in ball striking and distance. The best players of every era had a distance advantage. Snead, Nicklaus, Norman, Tiger.

In the end the long game is substantially more important. If you hit greens you have chance for birdies and pretty much take bogey out of play. 

What would you take,

option A- Bogey 33%, Par 62%, Birdie 3%

option B- Bogey 5%, Par 90%, Birdie 5%

option A is missing the green, option B is hitting the green. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

What would you take,

option A- Bogey 33%, Par 62%, Birdie 3%

option B- Bogey 5%, Par 90%, Birdie 5%

option A is missing the green, option B is hitting the green. 

Is the missing 2% in Option A scoring -16 on the hole? Because if so, I'll take that.

:-D

0.33 * 5 + 0.62 + 4 * 0.03 * 3 + 0.02 * -12 = 3.98

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't think anyone's saying that.

They're just saying he would have better understood why he was good, or why Jack was good. Or Arnie, or Lee. They hit a lot more greens, and often hit it closer than others. They used their short games less often than other players.

Many pros didn't. Many still don't.

Nobody's saying anything differently.

Insert my second paragraph here again. :-)

I was just trying to counter a little attitude of superiority I sensed in the thread (not from you) because people knew things Player didn't know, and I wanted to redress the balance by pointing out that doing always beats knowing.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

4 hours ago, Marty2019 said:

It seems to me that distance is an advantage.   Being able to chip and putt well is also an advantage.  

As @iacas is saying, "long game" isn't about distance, it's about full shots. Hackers aren't proficient from tee to green and that's where they're really costing themselves the most strokes. 

59 minutes ago, vangator said:

PS. I posted before your long post above.  My head still hurts.  

How would you answer the hypothetical questions? 

10 minutes ago, turtleback said:

I think that when someone has 9 major wins, 24 tour wins, and more than a hundred other worldwide wins, he is entitled to his misconceptions.  

Right and it's fine for him to say anything he wants as long as golfers understand what he's saying is a misconception.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

1 hour ago, turtleback said:

I was just trying to counter a little attitude of superiority I sensed in the thread (not from you) because people knew things Player didn't know, and I wanted to redress the balance by pointing out that doing always beats knowing.

I doubt anyone on this site feels any sense of superiority over a legend such as Gary Player (I don't know a damned thing about how to play good golf). If my post came off that way it wasn't the intention.

I'll only say that even Nicklaus has stated some of what he believed decades ago, he no longer believes is correct. I'd guess that's uncommon among professional athletes.

Jon

All I know is that, if I had the choice of magically obtaining a pro level long game or a pro level short game, I'd take the long game and live with my short game (which is infinitely easier to improve anyway).  

I mean really, imagine being able to consistently hit driver at the pro level, or being able to use a 9 iron on a 150y approach instead of a 7 iron! HUGE advantage. That's where a lot of people miss the point, it's not just about the 280-300 yard drives, it's about using a shorter iron on EVERY shot. 

Look at it this way:

Player A needs a 7 iron to reach the green from 150y. 

Player B needs a hard PW or an easy 9 iron. 

They hit 10 shots each and whoever has the closest average wins, who are you betting on?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 2941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!