IGNORED

Started Playing Golf, Now I Can't Stop

klossy
Note: This thread is 2997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First post here on TST.

I'm 27 years old - I've loved sports for most of my life, played a little in high school and at a small D3 college, and messed around with IM and pick-up sports after college.  To be honest, I've had a couple friends who were big golfers, and I just never understood the fascination with the 'game'.  I wouldn't even call it a sport at that time - I'd say it was an 'expensive hobby'.

Anyway, I recently got married, left my job in Columbus and moved to the Central PA area as my wife is from the area, and I've spent the last 6 months looking for job in a new area, and decided to give golfing a try since I hadn't made many friends in the area.

I had a free hand-me-down set of Wilson Sam Snead blades from the late 1960s that I got from a good friend who was going to throw them out when we were moving out of college 5 years ago. Always the fan of free things, I took them and stored them in my closet.  These were to be my tools for this new golfing adventure. 

I started going to the local driving range, and things were difficult... but every 10 - 15 shots or so, I'd hit a decent shot, higher than 10 ft off the ground, and that would keep me going.  I then played a round with another friend who had been golfing off and on for 10 years (probably a 25 HCP or so though), and realized that my clubs may be making the game more difficult than it had to be after trying one of his clubs.

I then was given another set of knock-off Callaway SGI irons from that same friends's father, as he purchased new Nike irons, and those made a huge difference!  Added 20+ yards to each of my irons.  I was hooked again!

I then bought a used Taylormade Burner driver for $65 and a like-new used Vokey 56* wedge for $35, and I started to actually enjoy golf for the first time.  The feeling when I hit a drive over 200 yards and it stayed in the fairway, or actually got a wedge shot to skip and check up and not roll through the green was euphoric.  My wife started noticing a trend when asking how my day was searching for jobs while she was at work.  If 'it was great', she'd ask 'Did you go golfing again today?'  :)

I then broke a pitching wedge during one of my 9 hole rounds by myself - it simply cracked by the hosel after a decent shot (no, I didn't chunk it), and I had to figure out how to replace it.  I started looking on Craigslist, and found an amateur club builder selling a like-new Adams Idea A1 6-PW set for $65.  I was willing to pay $50 for a new PW, so $65 for a new set of name-brand clubs was a no-brainer for me!

When I purchased the irons, the seller told me they had a 'light' swing weight of C2.  I didn't have a clue what he was talking about, but I assumed a light swing weight would equate to a higher swing speed, and didn't once consider the effects of momentum (weight of the club head) would also have on the ball trajectory and distance.  I did some research online after purchasing the clubs, and realized that lighter did not always mean better.  In fact, lighter clubs were most likely making my tempo issues worse!  I took video of myself swinging at the local range, and I was surprised to see how little control I had over the club head position in the backswing with the lighter clubs...

I then did more research, bought a roll of high-density (read thicker) lead tape from Dick's, and applied tape until I could feel the club head comfortably in my swing.  I haven't measured the SW or the MOI, but each club feels similar to me, and at my low skill level, it's not worth my time to confirm or change the weights to match a common value.

Prior to this realization, I could hit a decent iron shot about one out of every 3-4 swings. They didn't always go straight, and if I tried to 'kill' the ball, I would have a wicked slice. I had a very hard time diagnosing what I was doing wrong, because a great shot felt the same as a shank from a swing perspective.  

Now that I've increased the club head weight via lead tape, my iron play confidence has sky-rocketed.  I've played 3 rounds since added the lead tape, and my GIR has shot up considerably. One of those rounds was played as a 2-man scramble with another player, and we finished only 11 over par.  Granted, that's pretty horrible for a scramble, but I hit some great approach shots - neither of us have a good short game which cost us 4-6 strokes overall).  I'm now disappointed if I miss a green from within 150 yards, when just two month ago, I would be overjoyed to hit an iron shot high enough to stay on the green if I could even hit it!  Each good shot I now hit goes long and high, and lands softly.

I'm also starting to learn how to 'work' the ball with the higher numbered irons; I can hit a controlled hook (15-25 yd right-to-left) to a target, or hit a controlled slice (10-15 yd left-to-right) around a tree to a green when I slice my drive behind a tree.  I'm fairly proficient at this with the lower irons (PW-7i), the longer irons are inconsistent as I don't make consistent contact on the club face with those.  My hooks seem to carry much longer than the slices - I'm not sure if that's normal, maybe you all can comment on that?

For reference, I'm a pretty in-shape guy (5' 10", 185 lbs), but my swing definitely could use improvement.

My average on-course carry distances with a full swing are:

56W: 75-85 yds

PW: 120 yds

9i: 135 yds

8i: 145 yds

7i: 155 yds

6i: 165 yds 

5i: 175 yds

4i:  190 yds

3i: 100 - 150 yds haha, it stays in the bag.  I can't hit it at all, but it works for low punch shots under trees.

3W: 200 - 215 yds

Driver: 220 - 230 yds carry (I've had a couple great ones as far as 250 - 260, but I couldn't call those average)

(I hit the 6i - 4i off a tee or off the fairway, and I'm not a great ball-striker, so the distances will vary a good amount.  The higher number is a solid strike from a tee, the lower numbers are usually off the fairway or an off-center strike).  I'm not a great driver of the golf ball, so I'll tee off with a 5 or 4 iron if the fairway is tight.

To date, my highest score (recorded) this year has been a 119, and my lowest score has been an 88 (both playing by the rules, no mulligans and putt out).  (The 88 was on a wide, forgiving course with very little OB areas, and the same day I discovered the impact of a smooth tempo on my golf swing accuracy, and the slowest greens I've ever played on)

Honestly speaking, the awareness I gained of the importance of swing weight and MOI (moment of inertia) of each golf club with lead tape experimentation has made the biggest difference to my game to date (past 6 months).

I got a gift certificate for golf lessons for Christmas last week, so I'm super excited about 2016 and how much I can improve on my golf game.

So, questions for you all:

1. What has been the biggest 'hurdle(s)' you have discovered in your golf game?

2. How did you discover it (Lessons vs. Self-Realization)?

3. What wisdom or advice would you give me as a very new golfer?

-Mike

p.s. Happy New Year!!

WITB:
TM R580 9.5* Driver /  Adams Tight Lies 16* FW /  Adams 9031 18* 3H / Adams A7 4H 22* / Adams Super S 5-PW / Adams CB3 GW 49* / Pinemeadow AW 52* / Vokey SW 56* / Ping Pal Putter

welcome to golf !     Can't put my finger on it as to why ..., but I have to say it is the most addicting sporting endeavor I've ever participated in.   I just finished my 5th year ... put 95-110 rounds under my belt each year.    For people that tend to obsess at things, golf seems to fit the bill ...

My only advise is check out golfnow.com in your area & begin saving tons of $$ so you can play more.   As for wisdom just post threads here if you have any specific questions - lots of good golfers here to help you ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to TST!!

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

4 hours ago, klossy said:

1. How much dedication it takes to get to scratch. 

2. I am still in the process of getting there ;)

3. Do not read Golf Digest or Golf Magazine. Do not listen to golf announcers. Find a good instructor that does not rehash old myths because it gets them a buck or it's all they know. Find an instructor that works with you and finds the feels that make your swing better. Be open minded. Know how to prioritize your practice to optimize your progress. 652015-practice-ratios-where-to-devote-your-practice-time/. Know that you can do more with less if you practice like mentioned under this thread, simple-specific-slow-short-and-success-the-five-ss-of-great-practice/. Realize that long term success takes time and effort and there is no miracle fix that will get you to play better golf consistently. Realize that it's never the equipment and it's always the golfer. Be patient and manage your expectations. Golf is a hard game, but it's one of the most rewarding and fun games ever created. 

Oh, Welcome to the game ;) 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

4 hours ago, klossy said:

First and foremost ... welcome to the site!  It's a great place to learn about golf, meet some great people, and waste time talking about golf related nonsense. :)  Now, to answer your questions ...

1. My biggest hurdle is simply finding enough time to play - too much family stuff. ;)  My biggest game-related hurdle has been acquiring a swing that can keep my tee shots in play. A couple of wild drives per round are what seems to frequently kill my scores.
  2. Lessons, but more importantly learning (on here) about how important the longer shots are in relation to the green side ones.
  3. Take in all the free info available on this site.  Read about what makes for good practice (search the "Five S's" thread). If and when you are comfortable, start a swing thread on here and get more (free) feedback from knowledgeable people to help you improve.

1. Not being able to get a handle on greens fast enough, that I have never played before. I travel alot and I am always playing (new to me) courses.

2. Not sure what you mean, but since I was never big on lessons, I will go with self realization. 

3. Get your self a pocket note book, and jot down information that pretains to your own game. I dont think it's possible for a golfer to remember everything they learn about their game during their golfing journey. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

@klossy. Welcome to TST and Happy New Year back at you.....

The first two questions you asked go hand in hand.

Everyone starts out as a beginner and soon discovers "golf is hard"  Learning golf is a great experience for most, yet frustrating to many.

My personnel hurdle was consistency in the beginning stages. I drove the ball well hitting a majority of fairways, hit greens often, but always seemed to make bogey too often in some manner on too many holes to score well. (70's) I practiced, took lessons, became friends with many in the golf biz. Sat for hours on bar stools discussing golf, equipment, courses, practice, rules, etc.with friends. I became a student of the game and lived life golf like many.

The discovery occurs over a long period of time as you push yourself to become better. Becoming better at golf happens usually in stages pending on time a person has to devote to practice, playing and lessons through these stages. Everyone has jobs, family, other interests and commitments which limits ones recreations, like golf. Just when you feel your making progress, the season ends, an injury occurs, stuff happens and there no time for golf. After a winter layoff or other reasons, the advancement of level achieved requires the same old thing. The swing feels different, the play is different (course conditions change) There's so many aspects to becoming better for one to achieve their expectations.

Wisdom is experience. You can learn from mistakes and from those who you associate with. This forum has a great number of people who live, learn and discuss golf.

Any questions you ask, try to be specific and not so general. ;-)

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 4:28 PM, klossy said:

First post here on TST...

3i: 100 - 150 yds haha, it stays in the bag.  I can't hit it at all, but it works for low punch shots under trees.

Welcome.

If the 3i is fairly useless to you might consider a 3 hybrid which is much more forgiving. A 4i works almost just as well for those low punch shots IMO.

My advice would be to remember to stop and just enjoy the game every once in a while. Improving ones game definitely makes one more excited about the game but there will be days, weeks, months maybe even years where things just won't click. Sometimes you may just need to step back and find enjoyment about the other aspects of the game. IMO you should already be enjoying those other aspects. There is plenty to enjoy about golf even when you aren't playing up to your potential.

My biggest hurdle when I started playing golf was being able to afford it.  I was a couple years younger than you with a wife and a baby.  I played baseball all my youth and was playing semi-pro industrial league baseball (for a little extra money) when I started playing golf.  Golf was addicting.  As I would tell people in later years, I could hit a 95mph fastball.  I could hit a curve ball.  But this stupid little white ball sitting dead still was causing me grief.  I am super competitive and not being able to put up respectable scores (70s or 80s) was driving me nuts. I found a place where I could hit balls with anything up to a 6 iron and I went there several times a week.  

So, my biggest hurdle was being able to afford to play and it was self realization (just no money).

What wisdom...(1) practice as much as you can...and good practice. (2) If you do not do so not, learn to hit a draw and make it your natural shot.  (3) practice hitting draws and fades with driver thru 8 iron. Practice that till you can do it consistently. (4) when you can, invest in good quality set of irons.  They can be used but make sure they are a reputable brand and that they are all matched (shafts and swing weight).  (4) develop a touch for chipping/pitching/putting.  You are typically not going to hit every green in regulation so learn how to get up and down.  (5) do not get discouraged.  Golf is hard.  But, when you hit THAT shot (you will know it) and you will feel great.  When you score a personal best...you will want to play even more. (6) learn to play the game by the Rules of Golf.  Golf is a game of honor.  Respect the game.

I wish you all the best and if you are ever down in Texas, give me a shout and we will tee it up together.  

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

when you get your job taken care and develop some spending to money to really fuel your addiction some thoughts to remember...

- there are limited amounts of good shots in any iron set, when they run out replace with something new and exciting...sometimes after a break in the garage a set will develop more good shots in them but it is rare! Be prepared to replace every 2 years or so.

- Drivers are evil beasts, they need to be replaced yearly, occasionally you will get a bad one and it doesn't last for the season!

- putters are like women, if you want them to function properly they need some attention...never cheat on your putter it quite possibly will be the only long term relationship in your bag!

- wedges are made to be replaced sometimes they don't last more then a month...design flaws are common

- just because a simulator says you hit your current clubs as far as new ones don't believe it, obviously it is not calibrated correctly

- when you start thinking to yourself should I join a club, yes is the correct thought! lay proper ground work with the boss in advance and she may think it was her idea!!

Good luck!!!

• Upvote 1

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

On 1/2/2016 at 4:28 PM, klossy said:

-Mike

p.s. Happy New Year!!

first off welcome to the forum. i have found this site very useful in my own golf endeavors.

reading your short blurb  had me feeling like i was reading a biography of myself. With aquiring clubs, and then buying based on breaking certain clubs and so on, up to moving to central PA and becoming addicted to this sport and addicted to getting better. 

1. Biggest hurdle has been giving the club its due in my swing and trusting the club. too often i try to control my swing and the club to much and i need to allow the club to do its job and format my swing around that. 

2. i discover it each time i let the club "go" (so to speak) and i hit the best shots i ever hit. shortly thereafter i keep trying to get more and more out of the club and i lose that feeling. so i guess you could say that it was more of a self-realization. 

3. I am a new golfer myself so i am also looking for the same advice. i think the best advice i have gotten and it has really helped when i actually use it, but to be confident, no matter what, in every shot you picture in your mind before the shot, as well as to be completely confident in every shot you step up to. one person i have heard on this issue talked about our mental capacities when we are completely confident as opposed to having certain amounts of doubt and how we perform under those circumstances and it is astonishing how much better people perform when they are completely confident in the actions.  

"Swing with a Purpose" 

What's In The Bag:
Woods: Driver: RBZ stage 2 10* 3 wood: RBZ 15* 5 wood: NIke vapor speed 19*
Irons/ wedges: Rbladez tour 4-PW; Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 56*, CG11 60*
Putter: Odyssey White ice #9

On 1/2/2016 at 9:28 PM, klossy said:

First post here on TST.

I'm 27 years old - I've loved sports for most of my life, played a little in high school and at a small D3 college, and messed around with IM and pick-up sports after college.  To be honest, I've had a couple friends who were big golfers, and I just never understood the fascination with the 'game'.  I wouldn't even call it a sport at that time - I'd say it was an 'expensive hobby'.

Anyway, I recently got married, left my job in Columbus and moved to the Central PA area as my wife is from the area, and I've spent the last 6 months looking for job in a new area, and decided to give golfing a try since I hadn't made many friends in the area.

I had a free hand-me-down set of Wilson Sam Snead blades from the late 1960s that I got from a good friend who was going to throw them out when we were moving out of college 5 years ago. Always the fan of free things, I took them and stored them in my closet.  These were to be my tools for this new golfing adventure. 

I started going to the local driving range, and things were difficult... but every 10 - 15 shots or so, I'd hit a decent shot, higher than 10 ft off the ground, and that would keep me going.  I then played a round with another friend who had been golfing off and on for 10 years (probably a 25 HCP or so though), and realized that my clubs may be making the game more difficult than it had to be after trying one of his clubs.

I then was given another set of knock-off Callaway SGI irons from that same friends's father, as he purchased new Nike irons, and those made a huge difference!  Added 20+ yards to each of my irons.  I was hooked again!

I then bought a used Taylormade Burner driver for $65 and a like-new used Vokey 56* wedge for $35, and I started to actually enjoy golf for the first time.  The feeling when I hit a drive over 200 yards and it stayed in the fairway, or actually got a wedge shot to skip and check up and not roll through the green was euphoric.  My wife started noticing a trend when asking how my day was searching for jobs while she was at work.  If 'it was great', she'd ask 'Did you go golfing again today?'  :)

I then broke a pitching wedge during one of my 9 hole rounds by myself - it simply cracked by the hosel after a decent shot (no, I didn't chunk it), and I had to figure out how to replace it.  I started looking on Craigslist, and found an amateur club builder selling a like-new Adams Idea A1 6-PW set for $65.  I was willing to pay $50 for a new PW, so $65 for a new set of name-brand clubs was a no-brainer for me!

When I purchased the irons, the seller told me they had a 'light' swing weight of C2.  I didn't have a clue what he was talking about, but I assumed a light swing weight would equate to a higher swing speed, and didn't once consider the effects of momentum (weight of the club head) would also have on the ball trajectory and distance.  I did some research online after purchasing the clubs, and realized that lighter did not always mean better.  In fact, lighter clubs were most likely making my tempo issues worse!  I took video of myself swinging at the local range, and I was surprised to see how little control I had over the club head position in the backswing with the lighter clubs...

I then did more research, bought a roll of high-density (read thicker) lead tape from Dick's, and applied tape until I could feel the club head comfortably in my swing.  I haven't measured the SW or the MOI, but each club feels similar to me, and at my low skill level, it's not worth my time to confirm or change the weights to match a common value.

Prior to this realization, I could hit a decent iron shot about one out of every 3-4 swings. They didn't always go straight, and if I tried to 'kill' the ball, I would have a wicked slice. I had a very hard time diagnosing what I was doing wrong, because a great shot felt the same as a shank from a swing perspective.  

Now that I've increased the club head weight via lead tape, my iron play confidence has sky-rocketed.  I've played 3 rounds since added the lead tape, and my GIR has shot up considerably. One of those rounds was played as a 2-man scramble with another player, and we finished only 11 over par.  Granted, that's pretty horrible for a scramble, but I hit some great approach shots - neither of us have a good short game which cost us 4-6 strokes overall).  I'm now disappointed if I miss a green from within 150 yards, when just two month ago, I would be overjoyed to hit an iron shot high enough to stay on the green if I could even hit it!  Each good shot I now hit goes long and high, and lands softly.

I'm also starting to learn how to 'work' the ball with the higher numbered irons; I can hit a controlled hook (15-25 yd right-to-left) to a target, or hit a controlled slice (10-15 yd left-to-right) around a tree to a green when I slice my drive behind a tree.  I'm fairly proficient at this with the lower irons (PW-7i), the longer irons are inconsistent as I don't make consistent contact on the club face with those.  My hooks seem to carry much longer than the slices - I'm not sure if that's normal, maybe you all can comment on that?

For reference, I'm a pretty in-shape guy (5' 10", 185 lbs), but my swing definitely could use improvement.

My average on-course carry distances with a full swing are:

56W: 75-85 yds

PW: 120 yds

9i: 135 yds

8i: 145 yds

7i: 155 yds

6i: 165 yds 

5i: 175 yds

4i:  190 yds

3W: 200 - 215 yds

Driver: 220 - 230 yds carry (I've had a couple great ones as far as 250 - 260, but I couldn't call those average)

(I hit the 6i - 4i off a tee or off the fairway, and I'm not a great ball-striker, so the distances will vary a good amount.  The higher number is a solid strike from a tee, the lower numbers are usually off the fairway or an off-center strike).  I'm not a great driver of the golf ball, so I'll tee off with a 5 or 4 iron if the fairway is tight.

To date, my highest score (recorded) this year has been a 119, and my lowest score has been an 88 (both playing by the rules, no mulligans and putt out).  (The 88 was on a wide, forgiving course with very little OB areas, and the same day I discovered the impact of a smooth tempo on my golf swing accuracy, and the slowest greens I've ever played on)

Honestly speaking, the awareness I gained of the importance of swing weight and MOI (moment of inertia) of each golf club with lead tape experimentation has made the biggest difference to my game to date (past 6 months).

I got a gift certificate for golf lessons for Christmas last week, so I'm super excited about 2016 and how much I can improve on my golf game.

-Mike

p.s. Happy New Year!!

I am 58 years old, and over the years I have played many sports. As a child I was a county champion table tennis player, and have always been good at all racket sports. I was a decent footballer as a kid (soccer in the USA), and excelled in the martial arts world in my late twenties/early thirties. I have been lucky enough to retire at an early age, and  always promised myself I would take up golf at such a time. I only started playing 4 months ago, and my friend (a golf pro) gave me some lessons. I am now playing off of 28, and although this isn't great, I am informed it's OK considering the time I have been playing, and especially because of my age (58). That said, I  have found my introduction to golf extremely difficult. I still top the ball a frustrating amount of times, I still hack chunks of turf out of the ground, and I have a habit of finding really rubbish balls, and losing good ones. It is a horribly addictive game, and I constantly find myself practicing my swing in the strangest of places. 

I have given the sport a great deal of thought, and come up with some conclusions. Unless you actually believe that you may make a living out of golf you have to do what works for you (within reason). I have recently improved a little by standing almost bolt upright and pushing my shoulders back, and at the same time standing nearer the ball. This has stopped me lifting my body when taking a swing, and surprisingly enough I now hit the ball further. What must be remembered is that the worlds top gofers have different swings, so what exactly is right, and what exactly is wrong ?

The most important thing is that we should all enjoy playing golf, and even when playing badly (as I do most of the time) what else would you rather be doing. It gets you out in the open, it gives you exercise, it makes you friends, gets you away from the wife, and most importantly on a sunny day you can crack open a few beers on the back nine. 

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

On 1/5/2016 at 0:37 PM, Lefty-Golfer said:

when you get your job taken care and develop some spending to money to really fuel your addiction some thoughts to remember...

- there are limited amounts of good shots in any iron set, when they run out replace with something new and exciting...sometimes after a break in the garage a set will develop more good shots in them but it is rare! Be prepared to replace every 2 years or so.

- Drivers are evil beasts, they need to be replaced yearly, occasionally you will get a bad one and it doesn't last for the season!

- putters are like women, if you want them to function properly they need some attention...never cheat on your putter it quite possibly will be the only long term relationship in your bag!

- wedges are made to be replaced sometimes they don't last more then a month...design flaws are common

- just because a simulator says you hit your current clubs as far as new ones don't believe it, obviously it is not calibrated correctly

- when you start thinking to yourself should I join a club, yes is the correct thought! lay proper ground work with the boss in advance and she may think it was her idea!!

Good luck!!!

By any chance are you a golf retailer, because I don't agree with anything you just said. 

• Like 1

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

1 hour ago, paininthenuts said:

By any chance are you a golf retailer, because I don't agree with anything you just said. 

you are listed as a 28 handicap, obviously you don't understand...you probably think you are making a bad swing when the ball goes off line - please rookie mistake, it is an obvious warning the club is running out of quality shots!

Simulators are never right, every year club manufactures make better and longer clubs...why else would anyone buy them if they didn't?? plus they have a full amount of good shots left in them which is a bonus!

let me guess, you think lessons are going to treat you better in the long run then a new adjustable driver with 57 settings - please stop that is toooo funny, don't buy it some pro is just using you to make a living.

I see on your sig you are a newbie, stick around we will learn you something about how to better - oh and ball flight laws lol don't even get me started on those!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Ha you guys are too funny...

I still have alot to learn - I was out earlier this morning and walked 18 holes.  I shot a 99, which isn't too bad for me considering I pulled 2 drives into the woods, overshot a green into the woods, and whiffed on two more balls.

I had another realization today though: the position of right elbow has a profound impact on the contact and downswing.  Case in point - when I rush the downswing, my right elbow tends to flare and I come over the top, typically hitting the ball thin and off target.  When I pace (tempo) the downswing, my right elbow stays in , and I feel as if I'm swinging along a grooved plane rather than out in space.  

Have you all seen similar things in your progress with this game of golf?

-Mike

WITB:
TM R580 9.5* Driver /  Adams Tight Lies 16* FW /  Adams 9031 18* 3H / Adams A7 4H 22* / Adams Super S 5-PW / Adams CB3 GW 49* / Pinemeadow AW 52* / Vokey SW 56* / Ping Pal Putter

I have been playing for 50 years. My father was a GC supt and i grew up on golf courses. I could play for free and used to caddy. Everything is self taught with my swing and i navigated through HS golf and a work league where I was very competitive. I am now 59 and my best move was to purchase a membership all inclusive at my muni course. This includes cart locker green fees free range and usga handicap. I played as reccently as last saturday 35 degrees and wet and through our so far mild winter including christmas and NY Day when the course was closed. ( the pro gave me my own cart key so I can take a cart even when the course is closed) I would play every day if the weather would permit and will certainly get my moneys worth (40 times last year) and a complete 2016 season all inclusive. My game has sharpened up and my goal is to break 80 by spring. My low round is 3 rounds of 84 last month. I have my eye on the club championship and our statewide keystone senior games. I am very excited about this coming year and the snow last night was very dissapointing. I played in low 30's with the ground so hard i had to use a fairway wood or iron off every tee and this wasnt a bad thing. I could concentrate on ball striking. Every shot had to be 30 yards short so it could bounce onto the green giving me lots of putting practice. I have recently discovered some "secrets" reading about hogans swing and pronation and supination. My ball path is low rising with lots of roll and stops almost dead on the green. My game really improved when my basement flooded and my insurance covered new irons for the clubs lost in the basement. I purchased a set of G30s after being fitted twice by two club fitters. I bought a range finder at an auction and use sky golf to record my stats and scores. This was also a big help. I cant wait for the weather to change and i can get back out there again..  

I understand the sickness...

Dan

Note: This thread is 2997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!