IGNORED

PING Launches All New G Woods and G Irons for 2016

Note: This thread is 2960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

New G irons. Suppose to be a "slimmed" down version of the G30. Thinner topline and sole with the COR-Eye face.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BASxlbKITM2Mxv6FWIy22oq9aDxOqRXA_-g5m80/?taken-by=johndochety

56908ef3a8498_ScreenShot2016-01-08at8.35

post-404826-0-74154900-1452285394_thumb.post-404826-0-94846000-1452285399_thumb.post-404826-0-42727000-1452285397_thumb.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• mvmac changed the title to 2016 PING G Driver and Irons
12 hours ago, mvmac said:

New G irons. Suppose to be a "slimmed" down version of the G30. Thinner topline and sole with the COR-Eye face.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BASxlbKITM2Mxv6FWIy22oq9aDxOqRXA_-g5m80/?taken-by=johndochety

56908ef3a8498_ScreenShot2016-01-08at8.35

post-404826-0-74154900-1452285394_thumb.post-404826-0-94846000-1452285399_thumb.post-404826-0-42727000-1452285397_thumb.

At least they put in a ferrule this year.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I just read a write up on the drivers on Golfwrx. I'm excited about this driver. It looks like the driver is also a tad more traditional in shape being more pear shaped versus more elongated. 

I think the LS tec is going to be the one I look at. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

5693cecc94d3e_ScreenShot2016-01-11at7.475693cecaba83c_ScreenShot2016-01-11at7.47

5693cf4840440_ScreenShot2016-01-11at7.495693cf490be7a_ScreenShot2016-01-11at7.49

5693d0243ba9f_ScreenShot2016-01-11at7.51

G Drivers (Standard, LS Tec, SF Tec)

A close-up photograph of a dragonfly taken by Solheim was the inspiration for the primary innovation in the driver. Solheim was intrigued by the wing structure and shared the photo with a group of engineers. Inspired by biomimicry, an approach to innovation that emulates nature’s time-tested patterns, they created Dragonfly Technology. The complex exoskeleton design yields PING’s thinnest (0.43 mm) and lightest crown to date, saving eight grams while creating an intricate and stable structure. The weight savings helped drive the center of gravity lower and deeper than any PING driver, increasing dynamic loft and elevating MOI significantly for maximizing distance and forgiveness. 

Researchers also studied the base flaps that minimize large-scale vortex shedding behind
18-wheel semi-trailers and integrated their learnings into the G drivers to improve 
aerodynamics and increase speed. Vortec Technology on the back of the club and 
turbulators on the crown contribute to reducing drag 37% in the impact zone, yielding greater 
clubhead speed and ball velocity for measurable distance gains from all swing speeds. The 
variable-thickness T9S face has a high strength-to-weight ratio, allowing for a thin face to 
increase ball speed. 

Golfers can optimize launch conditions prior to a round by adjusting loft up to +/- 1º with five settings utilizing a lightweight, aerodynamically efficient and high-strength 7075 aluminum hosel sleeve. 

The G SF Tec driver is custom-engineered with weight closer to the heel to produce a right-to-left shot bend (for right-handed golfers) and steer the ball back into the fairway. The G LS Tec driver features a CG that is extremely low (slightly forward of the standard G driver), for the player who desires low, stable spin with forgiveness. 

- Lofts 9° & 10.5° in standard and LS Tec heads, 10° & 12° in SF Tec head. Lofts adjustable +/- 0.6° or 1°.

- Std. Length 45.75", D3, 206g (standard), D4, 207.5g (LS Tec), D1, 203g (SF Tec), 460cc

- Stock graphite shaft: PING Alta 55 (SR, R, S, X); Optional PING shafts ($30 upcharge): Std. length 45.25": Tour 65 & Tour 80 (R, S, X).

G Irons

The G iron utilizes revolutionary COR-Eye Technology (introduced in the GMax irons), which activates the sole, face and top rail in flexing for consistently faster ball speeds across the hotter face. The entire G set is heat treated using a specialized process that creates Hyper 17-4 alloy, which is 40% stronger than traditional 17-4 stainless steel. Metallurgical advancements combined with COR-Eye Technology provide four times the face flexing with improved stability. “The results are big distance gains and a higher peak trajectory for better stopping power so you can hit and hold the green,” Solheim said. “One benefit of that is a player might be able to club up and hit a 7-iron, for example, instead of a 6-iron.” 

Weight saved from the face was allocated to the low toe and perimeter, creating a high MOI for extreme forgiveness. Connecting the Custom Tuning Port to the sole creates a deeper CG that helps elevate the launch angle while increasing MOI. At address, the iron’s refined look is created by a thin top rail, satin-blast finish and appropriate offset. An enlarged multi-material damping badge joined to the cavity works with COR-Eye Technology to provide exceptional sound and feel.

New AWT 2.0 shaft (Manufactured by Nippon)

Contributing to the improved performance of the G iron are PING’s proprietary Ascending Weight Technology shafts, an optimal combination of physics and feel. The shafts get lighter as they progress from the short irons and pitching wedge to the long irons. Lighter long-iron shafts help square the clubface to increase clubhead speed and optimize flight for distance and accuracy. Heavier short iron shafts improve trajectory control and feel.

- Available 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW

- Stock steel shaft: PING AWT 2.0 (R, S, X)

- After-market stock shaft options (no upcharge): Dynamic Gold S300, X100; Project X 5.0, 6.0; XP 95 (R, S), N.S. Pro Modus3 105 (S, X)

- Stock graphite shaft: PING CFS Graphite (65 SR, 70 R, 80 S)

- U.S. MSRP: $110 per club w/steel shaft; $125 per club w/graphite shaft

Crossover

PING created a new category – the Crossover – to combine the precision, workability and 

control of an iron with the ball speed and forgiveness of a hybrid. “People love the look and feel of the Crossover because they haven’t seen anything like it,” Solheim said. “It shouldn’t be confused with a driving iron; it’s higher-launching and much more forgiving, and offers a lot of versatility. Our extensive player testing has revealed this to be a very attractive option.” The high-strength Carpenter 455® steel face is precision machined to an optimal thickness for greater face flexing, faster ball speeds and longer results. The flat face, narrow top rail and appropriate offset deliver iron-like accuracy and workability. An innovative cascading internal sole engages the entire face, sole and top rail in flexing to maximize distance. Extreme heel-toe weighting helps locate the center of gravity low-back and expands the perimeter weighting to create a high MOI for maximizing forgiveness.

- Available 3 (18°), 4 (21°), 5 (24°)

- Stock graphite shaft: PING Alta 70 (SR, R, S, X); No upcharge optional PING shaft: 

AWT 2.0 steel (R, S, X); Optional PING shaft with $30 upcharge: Tour 90 (R, S, X) 

- U.S. MSRP $247.50

Mike McLoughlin

So when are they coming out with the iron set that matches this? Downright gorgeous looking.

5693cf4840440_ScreenShot2016-01-11at7.49

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

56 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

So when are they coming out with the iron set that matches this? Downright gorgeous looking.

5693cf4840440_ScreenShot2016-01-11at7.49

That looks like an interesting club. I would like to see how it performs off the tee and fairway. Something between a hybrid and a long iron interest me. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Regarding the hosel adapter, yes, the G30 adapters will work. The newer adapters that are on the G drivers are redesigned to hopefully minimize the amount of shaft breaks at the hosel that has become a serious issue with adjustable PING drivers. The high balance point shafts with minimal material down in the tip have a tendency to break right at the hosel. This design offers a small amount of strength to the tip. 

On 1/11/2016 at 10:34 AM, saevel25 said:

That looks like an interesting club. I would like to see how it performs off the tee and fairway. Something between a hybrid and a long iron interest me. 

They designed these as a full set, but decided to only offer them in the long iron category. They feel a bit strange, kind of tough to describe, but they are legit. A little spinny for my tastes, but very forgiving as you would expect from PING. 

The G irons themselves are easily the best version they have ever made. Very long, forgiving, and they also feel pretty good. Turf interaction is improved. There is a lot going on in the cavity, but it is all there for a good reason. The new "stock standard" of yellow color code is because the engineers looked at the stats of all of the fittings over the last few years and realized that the majority of people are fitting into a more upright lie angle than the black color code. 

Although not out yet they do have demo clubs in Golfsmith. My friend hit them and ordered the driver, 3W and 5W on the spot. I'll wait to see but I think they will appeal to a lot of people. Just have to get over the sticker shock.

I tried out the driver today. Given I am in the middle of a swing change and it's winter in ohio. 

LS-Tec: 110 club head speed, 160 mph ball speed, 13.6 launch, 2000 rpm spin, 295 carry
Normal: I was a bit wild with this one. Not sure what it was but i couldn't get consistent hits. I found the overall spin to be about 300 more. I was hitting a 10.5 degree versus a 9.5 in the LS-Tec. If I had the choice I would flip flop that. LS tec in 10.5 and the normal in 9.5. 

Overall I really liked how the club set up behind the ball. 

This is on the top of my list for new drivers this year :) 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 2 weeks later...

PING is rolling out new clubs in every category this year, all united under the G family name

IMG_0579_zpswodbwfua.jpg

PING G driver

address_illus.png&w=655&h=380&sft=png&pareviewhero.jpg

The first striking thing about the new G driver is the look of the crown. Dragonfly technology (the recessed panels behind the turbulators) reduces total weight in the crown by a whopping 8 grams, that weight is re-positioned low and deep for greater forgiveness. Vortex technology works in conjunction with the turbulators for PING's fastest clubhead to date. The G driver are also offered in LS and SF Tec models for those you need lower spin or draw bias.

sandtrap.com interview w/ PING engineer Marty Jertson on PING G driver

PING G fairways

The most exciting thing for me about this years new fairways is just how low they sit to the ground. The sole was redesigned  putting the leading edge closer to the ground, making the G fairway playable from a greater variety of lies. No more waiting for that perfect lie in the fairway to be confident going for that par 5 in two. And for player's who need that little extra push on those long holes PING's new Stretch 3 wood closes that gap. A strong lofted fairway wood that is just as playable from the turf as the tee. The G fairways are also offered in LS and SF Tec models for those you need lower spin or draw bias (with the exception of the Stretch).

IMG_0575_zps7nypfh5f.jpg?t=1453815514hqdefault.jpg

sandtrap.com interview w/ PING engineer Marty Jertson on PING fairways

PING G Hybrids

PING has two new hybrids out this year, the G hybrid and the G Crossover hybrid. The G hybrid incorporates all the technologies of the G woods turbulators and an ultra thin crown to deliver maximum forgiveness and ballspeed. The G Crossover is a hybrid of a hybrid and a long iron for those you want to get the increased ball speed of a hybrid but the lowered spin of a long iron.

IMG_0563_zpsqf3as1b3.jpgaddress.png&w=1310&h=760&pad=40

sandtrap.com interview w/ PING engineer Marty Jertson on PING hybrids

PING G irons

The PING G irons have a much more traditional aesthetic than the G30s. Thinner top lines and compact heads create a sleeker look than can be appreciated by players of all handicaps, but it's want you don't see that makes this iron a true game improver. COR eye technology behind the clubface allows the face to flex foutr times more than it's predecessors, resulting in more ballspeed across the entire face. Stronger materials in the clubface save weight that is move d low and back for increased launch and forgiveness.

sandtrap.com interview w/ PING engineer Marty Jertson on PING G irons

Return of the Anser, the TR 1966

50 years after the introduction of the Anser, it and the many copies that followed are still ubiquitous among tour players and amateurs bags alike. For the 50th anniversary PING introduces the the TR 1966 which companies the classic body shape of the original Anser with extra perimeter weighting hidden on the inside and TR grooves for improved roll and consistency on the greens. The TR 1966 has a finish designed to mimic the original maganese bronze without the tarnish or need for polishing with age.

IMG_0560_zps3islhdrv.jpg?t=1453815188

So whatever you are looking to replace in the bag this year, you can't go wrong with some PINGs.

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I think the crossover looks really cool. It looks to be an updated version of the Rapture DI from a couple years back.

Also those putters are super nice looking. I want a regular Anser please:)

Nice job @SavvySwede!

PING prides itself on taking more of an engineering first approach (rather than marketing) and I think that's fairly evident when you watch Marty talk about their products.

Mike McLoughlin

• mvmac changed the title to PING Launches All New G Woods and G Irons for 2016

Demoed the G30, G and G-Max irons at Golfsmith last week. After hitting 7-irons with three heads, different shafts and dialing in the correct lie, I ordered 6-9 irons, PW, UW G series (new) irons.  Ended up with R-flex graphite shafts and Yellow dot (1.5 degree upright, IIRC) configuration.  Ordered Thursday last week.  Two week order-to-delivery cycle time.

Whatever type launch monitor Golfsmith uses, the difference between my current TM Rocketbladez 7-iron and the best fit G series 7-iron was significant.  I'm 56, and not much on distance anymore.  My current 7-iron ranged from 134 on heel or toe hits (also don't hit 'em in the middle much, either) to about 145 on center-face strikes.

After working through the 3 Ping models, the new G series 7-iron shots (once fitted and optimized) were launching much higher and rolling out consistently 152-158 yards.  Dispersion pattern was also very tight with my usual R to L iron flight.

The G30 was a bit less forgiving on mishits, and the G-Max was just too 'over the top' for me.  Ball got up quickly with the G-Max but didn't produce distance anything like the new G-series iron.

Next up, (and when the bank account can afford it) maybe a couple new G fairway woods if they work for me.  We'll see.  One major purchase at a time.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

On January 6, 2016 at 10:19 AM, saevel25 said:

It would be pretty spiffy if Ping let you do some color options :) 

I think you are on to something here. I remember Callaway did this a while back, but I hardly ever see people with a driver that was customized. Maybe because people just want to get it right away.

Michael

I tried this club out at Golfsmith. I tried this club out versus Cobra F6, Taylormade M2, & Callaway Big Bertha. 

I was hitting the Ping G 9.0 degree LS Tec 65 gram Tour Shaft Stiff Flex. The Ping beat these four drivers. It was routinely longer. Just the spin and launch profile was a much better for me. It just feels really stable and powerful. My least favorite was the Cobra F6. If the performance of the Big Bertha was up it actually looks and feels slightly better than the Ping G. Overall I was hitting the ball farther with the Ping G. The feel and looks were not that much better for me to warrant the Big Bertha over it. 

The closest in performance is the Taylormade M2. I just do not like the look or feel of that driver. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 2 weeks later...

I tried out a 4 crossover and a 3W on the range today (both regular shaft)  

I really struggled with the crossover - just couldn't hit it at all.  It felt very light and the entire shaft seemed to be really vibrating when I hit the ball, so much so that I had to stop after 5 attempts because it was hurting my hands!  This was a bit of a disappointment as I thought that perhaps this was going to be a good option for me.

The 3w was quite easy to hit off both the ground and the tee.  It did feel like it was sitting quite snugly against the ground which gave confidence off the deck.  I spent an hour hitting the callaway XR 16 fairways yesterday on a GC2 launch monitor so was able to compare at least the look and feel.  Pings felt a bit sleeker and flatter than the XR16s but very similar. 

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

Note: This thread is 2960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!