IGNORED

Am I being a total whiner here?

mahariji_slice
Note: This thread is 3017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

HI gang, 

I don't think I'm a new member to this group, but it's been a while and I can't remember my old user name or anything.  

Anywho, I am a member at a local golf course and while I was on the range one of the employees came up to me and said "sir, if you can, please try to hit the balls back to back so that you don't tear up the turf".  Ok, I know that.  Firstly, the sun was already down and nobody else was going to be hitting.  Secondly, I was trying to find some decent turf so I was moving the ball around.  But, whatever, I said "OK bud." and called it good and hit a few more balls. I thought he had left.

One of the balls pulled left over a berm and the same guy said "sir, when you hit balls over there I have to pick them up manually, please aim to the right".  That was it for me.  I had 20 balls left and I was thinking about this guy on every one of them.

I know I sound like a whiner here, but I'm wondering what your reactions would be if this happened to you, and what you would do if it happened again.  

A lot of this depends on the tone of voice of the employee but my first instinct is to say you're being a bit too sensitive.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's been my expiriance that a lot of folks don't like to be told what to do outside of their own work environment. 

Something similar happened to me many years ago while on the driving range. Since it was no big deal, I did the "yes sir, thank you sir"  deal and let it go. Nothing good ever happens when a person lets others annoy them. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "back to back"?

The range at my course (muni) is pretty rough too.  In over 30 years, no one has ever come up to anyone that I know of.  They probably mentioned it to you because it was close to closing.  I would have said something like "Sorry, I didn't mean to.  I just suck, but I'll try to do better".

I don't think you're whining.  I wouldn't take it personally either.  The poor kid does have to pick those things up.

I know when I'm the last guy or so returning a cart, I leave a few bucks on the steering wheel for them.  I know one of the kids (over 21), so I've left him a cold one on occasion.  For after work of course.

Edited by vangator

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

2 minutes ago, vangator said:

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "back to back"?

Only this

143_Proper_divot_on_range_tee.jpg

I don't think these were things that were too much to ask a person to do on the range. When I am at the range I don't aim towards areas that might have high brush or I don't hit drives past the length of the range.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

6 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

Only this

143_Proper_divot_on_range_tee.jpg

That's impressive.  I've never seen this on any range I've been to.  I mostly hit in a small area, but nothing this anal.  Sorry for the anal comment if this is one of your sessions. :-)

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

3 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I don't think these were things that were too much to ask a person to do on the range. When I am at the range I don't aim towards areas that might have high brush or I don't hit drives past the length of the range.

One more item on the list of things I don't have to worry about. Unfortunately. :-(

Yet.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

4 minutes ago, vangator said:

That's impressive.  I've never seen this on any range I've been to.  I mostly hit in a small area, but nothing this anal.  Sorry for the anal comment if this is one of your sessions. :-)

It's a pretty standard practice. All the pros seem to do it, and it's the best way to keep a range in top condition.

9 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

It's a pretty standard practice. All the pros seem to do it, and it's the best way to keep a range in top condition.

Once you make it a habit, it's automatic. My divot pattern is like this even during a lesson, when focus or at least attempted focus is on the instructor plus making changes to the swing. Some course maintenance guys want strips, some want patches - so will do whatever they prefer to accommodate.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

35 minutes ago, mahariji_slice said:

HI gang, 

I don't think I'm a new member to this group, but it's been a while and I can't remember my old user name or anything.  

Anywho, I am a member at a local golf course and while I was on the range one of the employees came up to me and said "sir, if you can, please try to hit the balls back to back so that you don't tear up the turf".  Ok, I know that.  Firstly, the sun was already down and nobody else was going to be hitting.  Secondly, I was trying to find some decent turf so I was moving the ball around.  But, whatever, I said "OK bud." and called it good and hit a few more balls. I thought he had left.

One of the balls pulled left over a berm and the same guy said "sir, when you hit balls over there I have to pick them up manually, please aim to the right".  That was it for me.  I had 20 balls left and I was thinking about this guy on every one of them.

I know I sound like a whiner here, but I'm wondering what your reactions would be if this happened to you, and what you would do if it happened again.  

Sorry, I just read your original post, and had to laugh! :-D

It's like the ambassador or course marshall that follows you around the course asking you to please hit only one ball and/or keep it on your own fairway. Yes, I try to do both those things. . . :-D

1 minute ago, mahariji_slice said:

Thanks guys.  Maybe the fact that this "kid" is probably 40 years old made it a little more annoying.  It just seemed a little demanding and intrusive.

It's definitely annoying, but he's trying to maximize the use of the course. As a result of there being numerous and random divots, we only have one day a week hitting off grass at my range. It's an issue, but he could have been more polite and explained himself a bit better.

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

43 minutes ago, mahariji_slice said:

HI gang, 

Ummmm, perhaps you should have taken the driver out of your bag and hit him across the face with it. Technically this is against club rules, but you may find it incredibly rewarding !!

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

1 hour ago, mahariji_slice said:

the sun was already down and nobody else was going to be hitting.  

I could be wrong here but do you think the guy was annoyed because you were making him stay late?

I wouldn't have been annoyed with his first request but would have pointed out to him that it was tough finding a decent section of turf. As far as no-one else using it that night that is not the point. It will take more than a few days for the ground to repair and you do less damage going back to back. I have been to ranges where I abandoned the back to back approach as the range was just so beat up.

The second request would have annoyed me. Depending on how bothered I was about being interrupted a second time I would probably come up with some snide remark back to him for that one. During a practice session I don't want to be interrupted.

Thinking about it some more I think HIS best approach would have been to mention it afterwards not during your session. By which time he should have realized you adjusted your targeting after you pulled a shot over the berm (which I assume you would have done).

Both comments would have annoyed me but hell, I get annoyed when the kid comes to collect the bucket while I'm still beating balls (I may want to carry some balls over to the chipping green, dude).  I'd have been polite and I don't think it would have affected my session but I understand why you were peeved.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Why would anyone design a range that requires someone to pick the balls by hand? I try to make nice pretty lines with my range divots, but often you really are just searching for an even piece of ground to hit off. 

I remember as a beginning golfer having a particular ranger follow us around one afternoon for the first three holes. After we holed out on No. 3, we pointed back to the unoccupied first tee and yelled over "don't think we're holding anyone up here." He left us alone after that. 

I'd be a bit annoyed, but wouldn't let it bother me ... same with rangers trying to speed me up when I know I'm not being slow.    Water off a ducks back man ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

The first comment would be ok by me.   If, as your story states, you hit one ball to the left and he says something like that then he's kind of a PITA.   I would just nod and go back to what I was doing.   But seriously?  One ball over there?

—Adam

Note: This thread is 3017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!