IGNORED

Cheap Club-Ho in Denial. Need Help!

Note: This thread is 2969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Started playing golf last September.  Since then due to craigslist and ebay, I have changed clubs quite a lot.  Game improvement graphite, to cavity blade, back to game improvement graphite, players cavity back steel- to having a bright idea that good players that I know started out on their grandad's blades which led to the muirfields that I currently have.  Since I have played with a couple of Mizuno Mx series irons but they were eventually sold on ebay.  

I have gone through about 5 different drivers, big and small. off-set and not.  

8 or 9 putters (I wish i was kidding)

Several different shafts and the suggestion of instructor.  By the way he is against all of the changes saying that its hurting my scoring and I think that I am finally about ready to listen to him.  

This being said.  I think I am about ready to start over.  

I picked up a used set of game improvement irons 5-pw, cheapy driver, 3 wood.  Going throw in a 5 wood that I have and the wedges that I currently have with the putter that came with the set. 

I am 5'9-10' WTF is around 32.  I am going to get the cheapy set cut to fit me. 

so the question is, assuming my instructor checks everything out and approves when we do the fitting (even if only static)

HOW LONG DO I MAKE A PROMISE WITH MYSELF TO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING?

Edited by sirhacksalot
add

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You are not unusual and this is not the end of the journey, but just the beginning.  I have six complete sets in my basement.

Here is my advice:

1: Use any driver you like to swing, but just make sure your technique allows you to address the ball with the face pointed at your target.  Some people have limited success using a closed face or open face setup, but it will eventually bite you in the rear.

2: Don't worry about the exact amount of offset in your irons, that won't make or break your game.  Just make sure they are in the normal range of swingweight.  Graphite shafted irons can get pretty light, which I find only works if they are over-length or over-weighted in the head.

3: Learn to align your putter by the perpendicularity of the face to the target.  I you rely too heavily on the line up the flange it can lead to problems due to the overhead perspective.  Or do the line on the ball thing and trust it even if it looks wrong from overhead, although that will make you a slow putter.

2 hours ago, sirhacksalot said:

Started playing golf last September.  Since then due to craigslist and ebay, I have changed clubs quite a lot.  Game improvement graphite, to cavity blade, back to game improvement graphite, players cavity back steel- to having a bright idea that good players that I know started out on their grandad's blades which led to the muirfields that I currently have.  Since I have played with a couple of Mizuno Mx series irons but they were eventually sold on ebay.  

I have gone through about 5 different drivers, big and small. off-set and not.  

Several different shafts and the suggestion of instructor.  By the way he is against all of the changes saying that its hurting my scoring and I think that I am finally about ready to listen to him.  

This being said.  I think I am about ready to start over.  

I picked up a used set of game improvement irons 5-pw, cheapy driver, 3 wood.  Going throw in a 5 wood that I have and the wedges that I currently have with the putter that came with the set. 

I am 5'9-10' WTF is around 32.  I am going to get the cheapy set cut to fit me. 

so the question is, assuming my instructor checks everything out and approves when we do the fitting (even if only static)

HOW LONG DO I MAKE A PROMISE WITH MYSELF TO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING?

Hopefully your instructor isn't selling you this equipment.

Here is a general rule that I have when people ask me about improving their game through equipment. Never spend more than 1/2 of your budget on clubs, most of your money will be better spent on lessons; for the most improvement spend all of it on lessons.

Nobody ever listens to my advice (but they typically do have newer, nicer looking sticks than I do)

Players play, tough players win!

3 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Hopefully your instructor isn't selling you this equipment.

No like I said eBay / craigslist mostly. Only thing ive gotten from him was a couple of shafts.  

How long should I promise myself to not change the current set, assuming fit and approval from my golf coach?

For beginners, and for others who don't play twice a week, switching clubs constantly hurts your game development.

There's a learning curve on figuring out how your equipment works. Every time you switch clubs, you start over again. It takes awhile to see what your irons look like at setup when you have the clubface face square to target. Of course, if a driver or a 3W delivers a big slice no matter what you do on stance and swing, then dump it. But if it pretty much works, learn how to refine it.

Also... avoid eBay purchases your first couple of years. You don't get to test-hit eBay clubs before you buy them. Decent golf shops have lots of trade-in equipment on the shelf, and the staff wants these clubs to go back out the door with a caring golfer:dance: so they can get their $$ back. So, a good shop can help you with used equipment too.

eBay may be OK eventually if you want to get a 5W to match your 3W, or the GW to go with  your SW. But, in such a case you would be buying off eBay after having hit similar clubs in the model.

Better than eBay in many cases is the pre-owned online sectors of Callaway and TaylorMade. Check out what they offer.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

14 minutes ago, sirhacksalot said:

So a year?

You have a golf chip in your head that's developing your sense of the game. Your golf chip will tell you when it's time. :-O

Seriously, you'll figure it out. Going to some golf demo days will help you get an idea of what's out there, without having to buy it first.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Once you get a set of clubs that fit you, stick with them for a while.  I switch clubs generally every 5-8 years or so.  I build all of mine except the woods now.  I think I'm on my 8th set of irons and I've been playing 40+ years, but I'm on my 2nd set of Pinhawks in 2 years.   I doubt I've spent $3000 on equipment in my lifetime.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

2 hours ago, vangator said:

Once you get a set of clubs that fit you, stick with them for a while.  

So like I said once fit and approved by golf coach. A personal pact to not buy anymore time length would be a year, 18 mo, 2? I understand that to some this maybe a feel issue.  But its too easy to place a $30 bid at 1 am when I can't sleep. Trying to be a stupid monkey here.

9 minutes ago, sirhacksalot said:

So like I said once fit and approved by golf coach. A personal pact to not buy anymore time length would be a year, 18 mo, 2? I understand that to some this maybe a feel issue.  But its too easy to place a $30 bid at 1 am when I can't sleep. Trying to be a stupid monkey here.

Irons- at least 5 years

Wedges- whenever the grooves wear out

Fairways/hybrids- the 3 wood is often the oldest club in a pros bag for a reason

Driver-2 years

Putter- whenever

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

• iacas changed the title to Cheap Club-Ho in Denial. Need Help!

Golf is one of the most ho'ing sports around. Tennis also.Let me make a fishing analogy. I love getting a new outfit. A nice shiny new casting reel on a beautiful carbon stick. but guess what, it takes a while for me to cast exactly to my target and reel in at exactly the right depth and speed that I intend, but after a while I start to learn the properties of the new outfit. Same with golf clubs, if you keep switching, you are going to be guessing too much. Find a set that seems agreeable to you, and stick with it for some time while you learn things like ball flight laws, Then, when you settle down, ho away!

dak4n6

I've been back in golf almost 4 years and have bought or traded for roughly 15 sets of irons, 2 dozen drivers, 2 dozen fairway woods, a dozen hybrids, 15 putters, and about 12 wedges. I have 50 dozen golf balls, 6 golf bags, 5 pairs of golf shoes, 2 rangefinders, and 1 gps unit. Yeah, it's a sickness. You will never BUY a golf game. Trust me on this, I know. Recently I bought a nice golf mat and net for the garage to work on my game in the winter. I go to a local range and practice when the weather permits. I play as much golf as the weather and my work allows. The best things that will help your golf game are lessons, getting equipment fit to you, sticking with the same equipment, and practice with a purpose. Don't just show up and whack balls. Pick a spot on the range and try to work the ball left and right, high and low, etc. Try to hit different yardages with the same club. But mostly work on your short game and putting. Yeah, it's nice to poke the long ball out there, but scoring is more about the short game.

I have said this before but ---- first full set 1967 --- second full set 1991 ---- third set 2014 ----putters three total ----- misc. woods and wedges 6-8 total -- that is  it for me

• Upvote 1

Playing the same clubs all the time is boring. You sir are a rookie when it comes to changing clubs. If i told you the number of irons, putters and drivers I've played in the past 10 years....you wouldn't believe me. I shoot the same scores regardless of what they are or how they're built.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Played my 714 ap2's since end of 2014.  Just bought the 716 ap2's.  One round and the 714's are back in the bag.  Only thing I ever change is the putter. Still playing the 913 D2 10.5 x-stiff driver  and fairway as well.  Hate to change clubs.  Putters, different story.  As long as its a trisole, I'll roll it.   All mental I know, but that's 1/2 of this crazy game. Have a buddy that has a different set in the bag almost everytime out, and he shots 2-3 over no matter what.  But he hasn't changed putters in 4 years ?  Different strokes for different folks.

On 1/7/2016 at 9:48 AM, sirhacksalot said:

I understand all those other temptations to switch  but not the putter.

I played fine with some cheap ass 1970 putter I got with my first Craigslist purchase. My golf buddy plays with something that looks like a skinny brass blade from the 40's maybe.

Putting is the simplest science of all right?A piece of straight metal hits the ball at slow speeds.

I think it's best to learn to love what you have.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Note: This thread is 2969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!