IGNORED

Tipping your head pro

dak4n6
Note: This thread is 3018 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We have a new head pro, and he is very active, providing services that weren't available before like club maintenance and alteration. He also gives lessons. So, he has given lessons to my stepdaughter, he's getting a new longer shaft for her driver (and he did an informal shaft fitting session on the range), and he is re-gripping my clubs. He's a great guy. Question is, is it appropriate, or is it sort of insulting to tip your head pro for these services?

dak4n6

I would not hesitate to tip in any situation where I've found the service to be exemplary. Do it casually and privately, if it's inappropriate he will let you know politely with a, "thanks, but that's really not necessary". 

If he sucks, just give him the ball-flight laws as a tip lol. 

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

29 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

I would not hesitate to tip in any situation where I've found the service to be exemplary. Do it casually and privately, if it's inappropriate he will let you know politely with a, "thanks, but that's really not necessary". 

If he sucks, just give him the ball-flight laws as a tip lol. 

I guess it kind of begs the question of how well off are head pros? My CC is a 36 hole full service resort that gets pretty high volume, although they have been undertaking some cost cutting measures lately.

I think he must be around a +1...I'm guessing he knows already...

dak4n6

If the service warrants it, then by all means a tip is in order. If you think a cash tip might be insulting, then go the gift card route. 

Actually, I think most golf pros expect a tip. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

7 hours ago, dak4n6 said:

Question is, is it appropriate, or is it sort of insulting to tip your head pro for these services?

I do at Christmas just as a thanks for everything he does.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

13 hours ago, dak4n6 said:

We have a new head pro, and he is very active, providing services that weren't available before like club maintenance and alteration. He also gives lessons. So, he has given lessons to my stepdaughter, he's getting a new longer shaft for her driver (and he did an informal shaft fitting session on the range), and he is re-gripping my clubs. He's a great guy. Question is, is it appropriate, or is it sort of insulting to tip your head pro for these services?

I would think it would be kind of insulting, like he's your servant.   I wouldn't tip my lawyer or CPA or doctor.   It just seems to me that tipping your golf pro puts him on the level of waiter or doorman.  

Maybe you could ask some other club members what they do. 

Edited by Marty2019
  • Upvote 1

I don't think I'd tip him for the kinds of services you're talking about.  I think tips are appropriate for servers at restaurants, for instance, because the bill goes to the restaurant, not the server.  Every club has a different system, but at most places the money from lessons and club repair go directly to the pro, not to the club.  Using your pro for those services, instead of going to Golfsmith for club repair or a local driving range for lessons, is enough.  I do think a Christmas tip is appropriate, as a general thanks for the entirety of his service.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Unless a person is a group of people whose income somewhat or significantly depends on tips, I absolutely would not suggest cash tip.

Depending on how much you want to spend, a restaurant gift card has never failed me. It's not too, for lack of a better term, 'overbearing' and it's easily something you would gift to a friend.

Vishal S.

13 hours ago, dak4n6 said:

I guess it kind of begs the question of how well off are head pros? My CC is a 36 hole full service resort that gets pretty high volume, although they have been undertaking some cost cutting measures lately.

I wouldn't tip him but would go out of my way to make sure the people that supply his paycheck know what a good job he has done.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Grumpter said:

I wouldn't tip him but would go out of my way to make sure the people that supply his paycheck know what a good job he has done.

Amen to Grumpter.  I'd also suggest that you spread the word among your fellow-members.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

2 hours ago, Grumpter said:

This ^

The word "professional" comes to mind.

Bill - 

• Administrator

I usually don't tip professionals, but I will say that I got a check (more than two digits, less than four digits) from two of my students this year as thanks for their best year ever playing golf.

It helps that the rates we charge are a fraction of what they pay where they spend their winters. It was appreciated.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If you win a significant amount in golf course betting, it is customary to give the pro shop a tip at my club.   A number of members give them sporting tickets, concert tickets,  etc..   I do several bottles of wine once in a while.

Edited by imsys0042

—Adam

We don't expect tips to do our jobs well, especially if we enjoy doing it anyway.  My boss sometimes gets tipped a bit for re-gripping or re-shafting clubs.  Answer to the OP is that it's not inappropriate or customary.  If you tip, great! If not, no worries!

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I give our a head pro 100.00 at Christmas. I think he does a great job, I don't know if I should or how other members do things I just find it correct for me. I figure we have 300 golf members give or take, if half of them buck up the man gets 15k Christmas bonus. I think it is spot on but to each his own.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Thanks everyone for the good perspectives. I think I'm gonna try to slip him 50 bucks casually and say "For everything you've done, thanks". I think he'll take it. If not, I've been eyeing a good Mendocino pinot noir lately..

dak4n6

Note: This thread is 3018 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!