IGNORED

What to do with old clubs?

Dave325
Note: This thread is 3024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What do you do with your old clubs? I purchased a complete new set this past summer. My old clubs are very old and just taking up space in my garage. They were a good Ping set with a Nike driver... But they are very old. I don't care to even have them around, since I don't use them. Should I go the craigslist route? Donate them? Throw them out?

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Donate them to a worthy cause. Over the years I have donated alot of golf stuff to the local juvenile diabetes folks. 

I know some folks who have given stuff to local kids in need who want to golf, but have no clubs. Local schools are another possibility. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

If they are Eye 2s or Zings, I think I'd stick them on ebay. There seems to be a bit of a cottage industry these days in buying those models and restoring them, before sticking them back on ebay. Better to make a few bucks than just send them to be recycled.

What do you do with your old clubs?

I don't change my irons very often. I have kept one set - a beautiful set of Ben Sayers Crown Customs I bought when I was 16 and still living in England (pic below); I'll keep those forever (I still play them once in a blue moon). I'll likely change my current set (Tour Edge XCG3s) this fall, for Ping G30s; but I think I'll keep the Tour Edges in a closet for whenever a friend drops by and invariably doesn't bring his clubs (I have a spare bag and a surplus driver, putter, etc). I'm buying the Pings for the long haul, I hope to keep them 15 years, at which point I'll be 53 and probably looking to change to graphite shafts...time will tell...)DSCF1044.jpg

3 hours ago, ScouseJohnny said:

If they are Eye 2s or Zings, I think I'd stick them on ebay. There seems to be a bit of a cottage industry these days in buying those models and restoring them, before sticking them back on ebay. Better to make a few bucks than just send them to be recycled.

I don't change my irons very often. I have kept one set - a beautiful set of Ben Sayers Crown Customs I bought when I was 16 and still living in England (pic below); I'll keep those forever (I still play them once in a blue moon). I'll likely change my current set (Tour Edge XCG3s) this fall, for Ping G30s; but I think I'll keep the Tour Edges in a closet for whenever a friend drops by and invariably doesn't bring his clubs (I have a spare bag and a surplus driver, putter, etc). I'm buying the Pings for the long haul, I hope to keep them 15 years, at which point I'll be 53 and probably looking to change to graphite shafts...time will tell...)DSCF1044.jpg

Ah, yeah... These are not the Eye 2... Just an old set of white dots.

4 hours ago, Patch said:

Donate them to a worthy cause. Over the years I have donated alot of golf stuff to the local juvenile diabetes folks. 

I know some folks who have given stuff to local kids in need who want to golf, but have no clubs. Local schools are another possibility. 

Good thought there... I think I'll take that route and help out some of the kids. Thanks for the insights.

Dave

Over the years, I've donated mine, traded them if they had any value, given them to junior golfers, or given them to my nephews.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

5 hours ago, Plano Golf said:

You could try the First Tee.

This! I've donated clubs to them several times. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I lean them against the wall in our spare bedroom, or bundle them in the slot by my computer in the home office. Ask my wife, she'll tell you all about it. We have a decade-long argument going on. She thinks if I buy a new golf club, I have to get rid or one. In the spare bedroom, you will find:

TM SLDR irons (4-AW) and Nike Vapor Speed irons (4-AW), a couple of drivers, and about a dozen wedges. Counting the three in my bag, I have seven total Cleveland CG14 wedges. Most of the CGs I got in decent shape for $50 or less - they have the old grooves. Plus, assorted demo clubs I keep for scientific purposes.

Also, I have three vintage sets that are in storage room, with period bags: Some Ping Eye 2 clones, MacGregor MT irons and woods, and 1960s-era PowerBilt Woods + Spalding Executive irons.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Keep them.

Come to think of it I still have that antique Ben Hogan 5i that I borrowed from the shop today. :doh:

I'll return it next week or buy it for the $5 they were asking. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Unless you need the money or the additional clubs (people coming over, others in the household who play or might play), give it away to help less fortunate golfers.  Let us do our bit to help others

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

3 hours ago, pganapathy said:

Unless you need the money or the additional clubs (people coming over, others in the household who play or might play), give it away to help less fortunate golfers.  Let us do our bit to help others

Lefties always have a tough time finding clubs, so many of us have resorted to hoarding them. At least the lefties I know. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

30 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Lefties always have a tough time finding clubs, so many of us have resorted to hoarding them. At least the lefties I know. . .

@Lihu, I grant you that lefty clubs are hard to find, but if they are clubs you no longer use, then what purpose does hoarding them serve.  If they are being used (by you, somebody else in the family, visitors a couple of time a year etc) then by all means keep them.  If not, why

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

32 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

@Lihu, I grant you that lefty clubs are hard to find, but if they are clubs you no longer use, then what purpose does hoarding them serve.  If they are being used (by you, somebody else in the family, visitors a couple of time a year etc) then by all means keep them.  If not, why

I have this weird collection habit, I suppose. I used to collect coins, comic books, stamps, guns, etc. It's not like the clubs are going to ever increase in value? I suppose it's better to get rid of the ones I don't use any more. That and I can't help thinking that someday I'll need those X22 with graphite shafts for seniors, and all the other ones for in between. Probably not a really good reason, anyway.

Probably should get rid of them, my wife keeps bugging me about making room in the garage. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

I have this weird collection habit, I suppose. I used to collect coins, comic books, stamps, guns, etc. It's not like the clubs are going to ever increase in value? I suppose it's better to get rid of the ones I don't use any more. That and I can't help thinking that someday I'll need those X22 with graphite shafts for seniors, and all the other ones for in between. Probably not a really good reason, anyway.

Probably should get rid of them, my wife keeps bugging me about making room in the garage. . .

Definitely keep the ones you can potentially use (softer flex than you use now for example works as you get older) but get rid of the rest.  Unless it is something like the Ping Eye2 which have value due to being prior to the banned grooves for example, or something really old so for its antique or historical value, most old clubs have minimal value.  Rather than sell it and get a minimal amount, donate to the more needy and get the additional space.  Also, since it is a left handers set, even more value to the poor lefty who will benefit.

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

3 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

Definitely keep the ones you can potentially use (softer flex than you use now for example works as you get older) but get rid of the rest.  Unless it is something like the Ping Eye2 which have value due to being prior to the banned grooves for example, or something really old so for its antique or historical value, most old clubs have minimal value.  Rather than sell it and get a minimal amount, donate to the more needy and get the additional space.  Also, since it is a left handers set, even more value to the poor lefty who will benefit.

Good point, and this is exactly what I was thinking as I was writing my last post.

I am going to write them off as donations, though. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

1 minute ago, Lihu said:

This is exactly what I was thinking as I wrote the last post.

I am going to write them off as donations, though. . .

:dance::banana:

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

Mine just find a spot in my garage.  I have many bags with old sets of clubs.  I have every set I've ever owned except the first set.  Don't know what happened to them.  A Mason Rudolph signature set.  Man they sucked.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I donate most stuff I no longer need (clubs, bags, old used golf balls) to the bag boys and girls at the course.  And I have given stuff to friends over the years as well.  I still have my Mizuno blades and some backup wedges in the closest.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Note: This thread is 3024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!