IGNORED

The Internet is Killing Golf [Chicago Golf Magazine]

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Imho, a lot of things distract/prevent people from playing golf. The internet is just one of them. Once you get hooked, ADD, internet, anti-social, that all goes to the wayside.

In Nicholas Carr’s chilling book, The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to our Brains, he argues that the Internet is rewiring our neural pathways such that we are experiencing the world much differently from our predecessors. Specifically, we’re conditioned to crave instant gratification, distraction, and artificial light. I submit that these pathways are leading us away from golf and into a scary place where silence isn’t golden and nothing is worth waiting for. Yes, golf is hard, it takes time, and it’s costly. But so is a bottle of Scotch. So is a great marriage. So is being a parent. Remember that progress is not always good. So call me old-fashioned…Please.

https://medium.com/@RoryWHughes/the-internet-is-killing-golf-45d75dca2597#.zkbcy45au

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

The only bright side… sunlight causes skin cancer. Technology may eliminate skin cancer because nobody will go outside anymore. :-P

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The internet, like video games and social media can cause addictions.   But as a whole most people can take something for what it is.   Just because golf is not fast and something that you can immerse yourself in, doesn't mean that people won't do it.  

Plenty of people who this article would suggest are affected by this, probably have something that they devote a long time to and have to wait for the pay-off.   There are too many different types of people to make those kinds of generalizations.   

I would say that with more things to do, that golf will be affected.   The fact that it's "too long" for some people might steer people towards other things.   But I doubt that our new fangled tubes and wires are killing golf.

—Adam

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

The internet, like video games and social media can cause addictions.   But as a whole most people can take something for what it is.   Just because golf is not fast and something that you can immerse yourself in, doesn't mean that people won't do it.

But many of the kids and whatnot these days aren't doing it. They try it, aren't instantly decent to good at it, and give it up. Not everyone, of course, but more than ten years ago. I've seen it with my own kid, and other people's kids. She was good enough at a young enough age that she doesn't suck NOW, so she's stuck with it.

5 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

Plenty of people who this article would suggest are affected by this, probably have something that they devote a long time to and have to wait for the pay-off.   There are too many different types of people to make those kinds of generalizations.

I don't think so. I think you can make the generalizations. It doesn't mean it applies to everyone, but that's not what it's saying.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

But many of the kids and whatnot these days aren't doing it. They try it, aren't instantly decent to good at it, and give it up. Not everyone, of course, but more than ten years ago. I've seen it with my own kid, and other people's kids. She was good enough at a young enough age that she doesn't suck NOW, so she's stuck with it.

I don't think so. I think you can make the generalizations. It doesn't mean it applies to everyone, but that's not what it's saying.

I've seen different, I guess.   There are a number of younger people I've played with, who are on their own, and they are far from the constant phone checkers and can handle being a beginner.   I think a lot of how you are going to feel about this is the people you've been exposed to.

What I think is a big difference is that there is just so many more things to do these days.   Video games, social media and the internet are alternatives that weren't there 30+ years ago and it's going to attract a lot more people.  Coupled with the fact that people these days are just busier (again only my own experience).  When I was a kid there would be, on a busy day, 2 things to do or 2 places to go.   Now that seems like a light day for my kids.   Morning activity, afternoon activity, running into people, meeting people for something else...   I never was this busy when I was a kid.  Hard to fit 4-6 hours for golf into that.

—Adam

internet, games and such are time consuming. we know that. new pleasure, new time allocation. games are great !

therefore less time for sports (sports being a not so old time allocation anyway).

This was the case in volley ball 18 years ago. (played in nationals in france and kids started to be, not rare, just a bit less numerous although human population expands like mold on french cheese. so we lost 5% per year net at least).

remember that sports were time consuming to family time, chores and rare holidays and such 100 years ago but there was not much to do for pleasure at that time. sports were the thing. now it's not.

sports just like mass market automobile are not more than 1 century old we can't forget this. even mass soccer date early 1900's 

enven automibile consumed a huge amount of our time. And instead of going faster we just went to live farther and farther from work for cheaper housing and our work did the same and went farther from housing for cheaper installations and reduced taxes. on this point we basically pay more and more and spend more time on work for less work net.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

I've seen different, I guess. There are a number of younger people I've played with, who are on their own, and they are far from the constant phone checkers and can handle being a beginner. I think a lot of how you are going to feel about this is the people you've been exposed to.

Yeah, we can all talk about our own experiences… but mine line up with what the article says, yours do not. So based on things like that, it's more likely that your experiences are the less likely to be an accurate representation of any change(s) we're seeing.

On the other hand (The Internet) also gives "Golfers" the ability to do so much more.

Like Golf Apps, make tee times, shop for items, find sales, learn golf by reading, watching videos, even join a great golf form like "TST" The Internet hinders and helps in many aspects of a daily routine, it's how a user chooses to manage the essentials they choose. Many people are able to play more golf with the ability to take care of business while on a golf course.

Golf is also a means to getaway from the Internet.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

35 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

I would say that with more things to do, that golf will be affected.   The fact that it's "too long" for some people might steer people towards other things.   But I doubt that our new fangled tubes and wires are killing golf.

I find that golf is as immersive as Call of Duty for me.  What is harder to achieve is that instant gratification.  Or the ease of just sitting on the couch with a game controller right at hand.  Golf involves expending some effort, and it takes a certain mindset to be willing to commit to that.  Too many kids don't seem to be directed toward sports or other active pursuits, because it's also easier for parents to just buy the kid an Xbox and let them play virtual sports instead.  

In today's world a parent can't totally deprive their children of the electronic world, but they do need to set limits and point the kids toward the door from time to time, take them to soccer or little league, or golf if they show any interest.  When I was working as a starter, there was one guy who almost always brought his son (starting at about 2½ or 3 years old) to ride in the cart with him when he played.  He had the boy all decked out in plus fours and Ivy League style hat, cute as could be, and the kid seemed to have a lot of fun getting to go golfing with Dad and his friends.  Whether that translates into a new player, I don't know, but it at least showed the boy a non-electronic option that seemed to be a lot of fun for his dad.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I do think the internet has changed how our minds are working. I do sense a greater need to constantly be doing something. I can do a decent job at shutting down the internet for myself. Though I grew up half my life with out it. I do find sometimes I will have a hard time putting the phone down. I do find I lack mindfulness form time to time. 

I do think technology is training kids today have shorter attention spans.

I think it was in an Ian Mckellen Nerdist interview where he talked about just being able to be in the present. I think he put it, what if you are on your phone and the love of your life walks right on past you. Instead of noticing that connection you rather be connected to something that has no real significant meaning other than it's interesting. 

I think mindfulness is a big issue because golf is a game of patience. Either on the course or being able to practice the right way (which can be boring). I don't think kids today want to embrace the process of getting good at the game. If they don't see the immediate results or success then they would probably just not even continue it. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I have two kids, both just about to turn five and I can see different sides on this one with them.   One will do something for a long time and the other just can't sit still.   I've taken them both out to ride nine holes multiple times and I can't see which one would more inclined to take the game up.

—Adam

If the internet is killing golf, I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing, for purely selfish reasons.   The courses I play are already crowded enough.   It's fine with me if fewer people decide to play.   Maybe it's bad for people who make money from golf, like golf club manufacturers and golf professionals, and people who own golf courses.  But for me, I'm fine with it. 

Is it wrong for me to think that way?  

While I certainly agree the "internet" age hasn't helped (for the reasons cited in the article), I also believe part of the problem is there are probably just as many kids out there that are way too "over-scheduled" these days.  I have 3 fairly active ones myself and, sadly, between everything else they have going on, there's just not time on any given day for them to take up golf even if the interest was there.  If you have a kid who wants to say play soccer these days, maybe lacrosse, or, god forbid, swim...then they pretty much have to give up any free time for other activities outside of their school work.  A little off-topic, maybe, but sad really.    

2 hours ago, Marty2019 said:

If the internet is killing golf, I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing, for purely selfish reasons.   The courses I play are already crowded enough.   It's fine with me if fewer people decide to play.   Maybe it's bad for people who make money from golf, like golf club manufacturers and golf professionals, and people who own golf courses.  But for me, I'm fine with it. 

Is it wrong for me to think that way?  

That is flawed logic.  Fewer players means courses will go broke, making fewer courses for the players who are left to play, so they'll be just as crowded, but we will have fewer options overall.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

A cool feature our club has added, I can view the tee sheet for open slots on our website. If friends have a time reserved, I can email or call them to see if they have an opening or if there's a game planned and who is playing.

Without the "I", it was a bunch of calls to find a game.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

2 hours ago, Grumpter said:

Meh, video games, cartoons and music were the 'downfall' of my generation. When things go into decline people will invariably blame the wrong things.

I think there is some truth to this. In my generation it was TV, later it was movies on VCR's, then video games, and now cell phones and the internet.

I'm not saying these things didn't/don't have a real impact on outdoor activities, only that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

If nothing else, some of the technology such as simulators and GameGolf may end up enhancing the game. You never know.

Jon

We live in a drive-thru get-it-right away world. Not as a rule (there are always exceptions) but I see a lot less of the younger folks putting in the work and paying the dues, so to speak... Whether it be golf, music, or technology. It doesn't matter (texting is an exception).

Could it be caused by some of the things mentioned earlier... The Internet, cell phones, video games? Probably. But there are a couple characteristics that I defintely see waning over the years...... Passion, Persistence and stick-to-it-iveness. Not that these are completely gone.... Just becoming a bit rare.

Dave

Note: This thread is 2986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!