IGNORED

Do you find it easier to plank longer looking or not looking at stopwatch?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It seems most sources say don't look at the time, but I'm weird, I find it easier looking at the time. The only thing that distracts me is really good conversation, but that's hard to come by. Do you find it's easier to plank with or without being cognizant of the time?

Also, planking builds the core, so it should help w/staying in your inclination on the downswing, yes?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

It seems most sources say don't look at the time, but I'm weird, I find it easier looking at the time. The only thing that distracts me is really good conversation, but that's hard to come by. Do you find it's easier to plank with or without being cognizant of the time?

Also, planking builds the core, so it should help w/staying in your inclination on the downswing, yes?

I don't look at a clock. I count one and two and three, which is pretty accurate. I find it easier to do this because I don't need a clock. I calibrate it often. If you focus on the breathing, it distracts from the strain as well.

I think planking is only one exercise to build the core. There are quite a few good other ones including # 4 from this thread below. I've got a few others that I do routinely. I am also doing a core day 1 to 2 days a weeks to focus solely on core exercises.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Do you find it's easier to plank with or without being cognizant of the time?

Without looking at the clock for me. I also haven't done a plank in a while.

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I don't think having a strong core is really an important factor on why you can't stay in your inclination. If you wanted an exercises to help I'd look into doing Romanian deadlifts, stiff legged deadlifts or goblet squats. Something where you're building strength and mobility with the hamstrings, glutes and hips.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 2 weeks later...
On January 13, 2016 at 9:33 AM, nevets88 said:

One variation on this to avoid the time count is to move from high plank (hands on floor) to low plank (elbows on floor). That is one rep. Repeat for 3 sets of 10. No time needed and adds an intersting core workout element moving from one arm to the next.

Dave

15 hours ago, Dave325 said:

One variation on this to avoid the time count is to move from high plank (hands on floor) to low plank (elbows on floor). That is one rep. Repeat for 3 sets of 10. No time needed and adds an intersting core workout element moving from one arm to the next.

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 3 weeks later...

Anytime I have an exercise, or otherwise activity, being able to focus on the negativity of it will stop me faster. In the case of planking, push-ups, whatever exercise, it's when I start focusing on either pain from the exercise, or when I too intently focus on breathing (at which point I start trying to alter my breathing consciously, which gets me out of breath).

Staring at a stopwatch, I've not tried it. The mental act of following/pacing the time might distract me. It might also have me focusing too much on how long I THINK I can do something, and therefore telling myself I won't make it past that point. The best thing for me is to stay distracted. That can be through letting my mind wander a bit, listening to music, or having the TV on in the background. As long as my mind is busy with any task that doesn't focus on stopping the exercise, I find myself able to do it longer.

• 2 months later...
On 1/23/2016 at 5:25 PM, Dave325 said:

I start  my morning with a low plank, 30 seconds. then move to a high plank. 30 seconds. Then some push ups, back to low plank>High plank>push up.

I am up to 2 minutes, has taken me awhile to get there.

I count, 1....2....3....10....30....

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Personally, I also  think that I last longer when I do use a clock. It helps me reach a specific target ( " I'll hold the plank at least until I reach the 2 min mark " or so), whereas without  a clock, I just end my plank if I am bored :)

Anyway, here is another good plank variation: You stay in the low plank, i.e. on your elbows. Now, lift the right elbow off the floor and extend your right arm to your front. So your whole weight will now be on the left elbow. While extending your right arm, make sure that your shoulders do not move, your back has to stay parallel to the ground (one tends to turn to the left side - do not do this). Slowly get your right arm back in and get back onto both elbows. Repeat with the left side now.

• 1 month later...

I hold it better with a clock because I can see how much longer I have, however, for core I usually do a  combination of about 4 or 5 variations of crunches.

Note: This thread is 2879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!