IGNORED

Myrtle Beach in Early March

iacas
Note: This thread is 2989 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

A few days ago we booked our spring break trip for Penn-State Behrend (I'm the men's and women's golf coach).

Six team members and myself are going. @NCGolfer may join for a round or two (he's an alum).

We're playing…

GOLF ITINERARY
12:04 12:12    Barefoot Norman
10:04 10:12    Barefoot Love
10:04 10:12    Barefoot Dye
08:00 08:10    Caledonia
01:30 01:40    True Blue
10:04 10:12    Barefoot Fazio

Caledona and True Blue are on the same day.

Looking forward to it! I've played most of the Barefoot courses, but haven't yet been to C/TB.

Which Barefoot course does anyone here like most? Who here has played Caledonia/True Blue?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Caledonia is a fun course. Not too long, some tricky greens. I played the day before Easter several years ago, and all the big azaleas were in bloom. It was the most beautiful course I have seen except for Augusta. Lots of live oaks with Spanish moss, and if it sunny, the gators will probably be laying on the banks of the ponds. The porch of the clubhouse overlooks the 18th green, and is a nice place to have a post round beverage, and watch groups finish. I've seen True Blue, but haven't played it. A lot of folks really like it, but it doesn't catch my eye like Caledonia.

I've played both Caledonia and True Blue, I think you're going to love them.  I think Caledonia was Mike Strantz's first design.  Its pretty traditional looking with some lovely holes.  True Blue is a little more "avant-garde", maybe a little closer to a Pete Dye look,without the railroad ties.  I remember at least a couple of really big, severely sloped greens there.  I wish I could remember more details, but its been at least 12 or 15 years since I played either one.  Have fun!

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, caniac6 said:

Check out Caledonia's Facebook page for a nice drone flyover.

Doing that now. Thanks! You've played there?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yes, I have played there. It has been a long time since I played there, but I was very impressed by the beauty of the course. Not very long, but greens have some features that require good distance control on approach shots. I've played Tobacco Road ( I liked), and Tot Hill Farms ( I didn't like), and like Dave said in a previous post, Caedonia is a much more player friendly course.

• 2 weeks later...
On January 14, 2016 at 2:41 PM, iacas said:

A few days ago we booked our spring break trip for Penn-State Behrend (I'm the men's and women's golf coach).

Six team members and myself are going. @NCGolfer may join for a round or two (he's an alum).

We're playing…

GOLF ITINERARY

Looking forward to it! I've played most of the Barefoot courses, but haven't yet been to C/TB.

Which Barefoot course does anyone here like most? Who here has played Caledonia/True Blue?

On January 14, 2016 at 2:41 PM, iacas said:

We're playing…

GOLF ITINERARY

Hey iacas,

I can't comment on the Barefoot courses.  I played on the True Blue course in October. This is one of my favorite courses to play in all off MB. The conditions were outstanding. I would strongly recommend though that you bring with you Skycaddy GPS device that shows key course features as this will help you with some of the few blind shots on the course. In the absence of this, maybe you can purchase a yardage book in the Pro Shop. This couse is very challenging but very fair. Landing areas are fairly wide but greens are all well protected. I love all Stranz designed golf courses - we have 2 of our own up nere in Virginia that I play frequently. You will find that the course is filled with waste areas all over the golf course. Matter of fact, you will be hard pressed to find a golf course anywhere that has more waste areas then this one. But just aim for the green stuff and you will be fine. The course is fair but will require good course management, especially the first time you play it...be conservative. When I was down there last year, I was talking with the starter during some down time and he mentioned to me that there was a major college tournament earlier in the year. He mentioned that one college golfer from Mississippi had shot the course record of 59 from the tips. Wow! I was in total disbelief. Wait until you see this golf course. Make a note of were the tips are and you will see why how incredible this feat was. I love this course...just stunning.

Anyway, I have not played Stranz's Caledonia yet. From everything I have been told though this is the #1 couse in MB and I plan on playing it later next fall. I used to go down to MB 2 or 3 times a year but the last 4 years I have been spending my time in Pinehurst which I prefer over MB.

I would strongly recommend though, if you could possibly make a switch, you really need to play Myrtle Beach National Kings North. This course was in immaculate condition and this course is just awesome. It is a stunning layout. I put this course up there with any in MB and I believe it is the most poplar on the strand.

Hope you have a great time. When are you headed down there? 

Best wishes,

The Boss

• Upvote 1

@iacas, I just realized I have my old course guide from Caledonia.  I don't know if there's anything to be gained from it, but I'd be happy to lend it to you if you like.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

@iacas, I just realized I have my old course guide from Caledonia.  I don't know if there's anything to be gained from it, but I'd be happy to lend it to you if you like.

Sure. If you want to mail it to me I'll cover costs. Thanks.

I played both Caledonia and True Blue last year and stayed at the True Blue condos.  They are both great but tough courses for my skill level.  We played True Blue after some heavy rain and we were told by the starter that because of that we didn't get to experience the "true pain" of True Blue.  I don't think I would enjoy playing both of them the same day but since you'll take at least 20 swings less than me it might not be so bad for you.

We plan to play both again this September because we liked them so much.  Enjoy!!

Joe Paradiso

Ive played both.Shot 83 at caledonia.Very pretty and not tough if you keep ball in play.True blue we played tips cause guys paired with me wanted too but for me way too long at sea level.shot like 95 or so.Guess you can say I prefer caledonia. True blue didnt seem to pretty.

On 1/30/2016 at 11:17 AM, iacas said:

Sure. If you want to mail it to me I'll cover costs. Thanks.

My apologies, I've let this slip.  Should i mail it to the Golf Evolution address in Erie?  Don't worry about the costs, it can't be more than a couple of first class stamps.

Dave

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

My apologies, I've let this slip.  Should i mail it to the Golf Evolution address in Erie?  Don't worry about the costs, it can't be more than a couple of first class stamps.

I'll PM you.

On 1/14/2016 at 2:41 PM, iacas said:

We're playing…

GOLF ITINERARY

Looking at these course makes me feel like I have spent years slumming it in Northern MB. I will be there in April playing all the $50-$75 courses!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

have played TB 7 times I believe. it is solid, wide open fairways (huge), greens tend to be fast. if you are a bomber you will like the course. there are few spots to get in trouble by being greedy but for the most part it is bombs away. I personally don't love it but it is a quality course.

have played Caledonia well into double digits. My old group used to play it twice every year we went...my thought is for college team it is going to be a hair short. From the tips it is par 70 about 6800 if I recall properly. It will take low score for sure but there are more places to get in trouble, it is certainly much more a thinking mans golf course! it is an absolutely gorgeous course and you will not regret having played it. make sure you get the chowder at the turn...awesome!!

if you take the squad there again I think you should consider adding the dunes club to the trip, it is another awesome old school course that always delivers.

Barefoot Norman is meh, Love is nice but pretty wide open, always has great rolling greens, Fazio and Dye are both 2 thumbs up!

have a great trip.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

True Blue to date remains my favorite MB course, incidentally followed by Caledonia. Couldn't be more different. I couldn't believe they were both Mike Stranz's courses. Caledonia is a truly old school course, gentle and gorgeous, very few repeating design holes. Lot of Augusta type 'gardenery' and shrubbery around the holes. I remember driving up to the club house through all the trees with Spanish moss.TB is a bigger course and lots of waste bunkers like PH #2 which drove some of my group member nuts but I can do waster bunkers all day. Couple of holes a bit gimmicky but nothing like Royal New Kent or Tobacco Road. Undulating and quickish greens.

I am also playing all the Barefoot courses + Grand Dunes for the first time in May this year. Excited! Enjoy and please give us your impressions upon return.

Vishal S.

Note: This thread is 2989 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!