IGNORED

Spieth, McIlroy & Fowler... Oh My

CalcuttaLive
Note: This thread is 3002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

And the opposite for me.  The first time I went to New York and had to wait until 1pm to watch the first football games, I'm like ... what the heck do you people do all morning?!?!?! :-P

Mornings aren't the problem in NYC. It's the night games! Monday night games that don't start until 9:30 PM make Tuesdays rough. Not to mention NBA playoff games that start at 10:30 PM!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 minutes ago, iacas said:

Prep.

Yeah, how do u tailgate at 6am?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

20 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Yeah, how do u tailgate at 6am?

Duh ... Just add eggs or sausage to whatever else you were planning on eating, and Drink bloody Mary's and mimosas instead of g&ts or rum/cokes.

• Upvote 2

Rickie has A LOT more to prove before he can be mentioned in the same sentence as the big boys. Step 1 is he needs to win a major. Step 2 then is winning with consistency. Achieve those two things and then we'll talk. Until then he's a second tier player paired with the stars of the game.

13 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Rickie has A LOT more to prove before he can be mentioned in the same sentence as the big boys. Step 1 is he needs to win a major. Step 2 then is winning with consistency. Achieve those two things and then we'll talk. Until then he's a second tier player paired with the stars of the game.

Granted, he hasn't won a major but he's 6 in the world (5 last week).  I think it's fair to mention him with the big boys.  I'll take him over Dufner, who does have a major.

• Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

8 hours ago, Gunther said:

Granted, he hasn't won a major but he's 6 in the world (5 last week).  I think it's fair to mention him with the big boys.  I'll take him over Dufner, who does have a major.

Consistency can get you a lot of world ranking points. Fowlers a consistent top-5 guy. But wins and majors still lack on his resume and you just can't compare him with Spieth/mcilroy right now.

15 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

And the opposite for me.  The first time I went to New York and had to wait until 1pm to watch the first football games, I'm like ... what the heck do you people do all morning?!?!?! :-P

Watching television, live? What the hell is that? Oh, my eyes are bleeding! :-D

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The big three (at least in this thread) are struggling a bit due to the weather in Abu Dhabi. Rickie seems to be hanging tough. I wouldn't count any of these three out just yet. However, Spieth given his recent history, seems to be the one that could make a Saturday/Sunday charge to get back into contention. 

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/14625611/jordan-spieth-rory-mcilroy-drop-andy-sullivan-leads-suspended-abu-dhabi

Well, Well, Well..... as if this post was somewhat serendipitous.  I have to admit, I was quite surprised that Fowler was the one to rise out of this star-studded field to win the tournament. Fowler moves to #4 in the world after this win. Even a strong performance (Top 5) at the Masters, and we might have to extend the party list to the "Big 4".... 

21 minutes ago, CalcuttaLive said:

Well, Well, Well..... as if this post was somewhat serendipitous.  I have to admit, I was quite surprised that Fowler was the one to rise out of this star-studded field to win the tournament. Fowler moves to #4 in the world after this win. Even a strong performance (Top 5) at the Masters, and we might have to extend the party list to the "Big 4".... 

I think Fowler's going to have a year like Jason Day last year. Of course, I predicted that last year and the year before and he let me down, so seeing in believing. But he's definitely overdue. He'll be on the Olympics team in August.

That being said, I have the same opinion with the term "Big 4" as I did "Big 5" back 10 years ago. Fowler has a long way to go to be compared to McIlroy and Spieth, just like I said 10 years ago all those 4 other guys had a long way to be compared to Tiger. Rickie needs a major this year and he needs to win with consistency. That's the big separation between Jordan/Rory and Rickie. As for Jason, he needs to follow up this year with last year.

But today was a good start for Rickie. His girlfriend will give him some lovin' tonight. Ugh..lucky bastard. Motivation, though. Time to go out to golf range in the 30-degree Florida weather to try and be like Rickie so I can get a girl like his.

Edited by ChrisP

2 hours ago, ChrisP said:

I think Fowler's going to have a year like Jason Day last year. Of course, I predicted that last year and the year before and he let me down, so seeing in believing. But he's definitely overdue. He'll be on the Olympics team in August.

If he does he would need to improve his strokes gained by one full stroke over last year to compete where Jason Day had his game at. His game has been improving. I don't see him dominating like Day did at the end of last year. I'm not sure it's in Rickie's game. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world - Palm Springs - Jason Duffner picks up his 4th win in a playoff.

1. Jason Dufner’s ball-striking ability is no secret, but how about this stat? Dufner made birdie on 28 of the 56 par-4s or par-5s he played this week. That’s 50 percent. He’s just the third winner since 1980 to make birdie or better on at least half of his par-4s and par-5s.

2. Dufner made a career-best 30 birdies at the CareerBuilder. His previous best was 27, which he had done three times, all at the CareerBuilder. He didn’t finish better than T18 in any of those three years, though.

3. Dufner now has a streak of 18 consecutive rounds of par or better, dating back to the CIMB Classic.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Rickie Fowler is playing the best golf of his life but that doesn't mean golf has a 'Big 4'

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2016/1/26/10832736/world-golf-rankings-rickie-fowler-jordan-spieth-rory-mcilroy

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 3002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!