IGNORED

2016 Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship Discussion

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Big event for the Euro Tour headlined by McIlroy, Spieth and Fowler, along with Stenson and Kaymer. Also noticed out of the corner of my eye, Mike Weir is in the field, but everyone is probably hoping for a McIlroy/Spieth showdown. Don't forget to set your DVR, unless you enjoy watching live golf in the middle of the night.

McIlroy might not be focussing specifically on Spieth this week, but he has him in his sights for another reason. McIlroy wants to get back to the top of the world order, which means Spieth will have to move aside. However, first he has to overtake world number two Jason Day.

“I still look at it (the Official World Golf Ranking) and see where I am, especially strength of field for this week and how many points you get for a win. I know I need to play well to leapfrog Jason. I think if I can finish second I can get above him.

“I’ve made no secret I want to get back to that position, and I’d like to do it as quickly as possible. So it’s definitely a motivation.”

It should be an interesting battle. Both this week and the rest of the season.

http://golfweek.com/news/2016/jan/20/rory-mcilroy-own-game-european-tour-golf/

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2016/tournamentid=2016004/index.html

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Judging by my avatar, I'm obviously hoping for a Rickie Fowler victory.  But you're probably right, a Spieth/Rory showdown is probably what most fans want to see.  I like that the top guys admit they keep track of the rankings and want to be at the top.  That's great for the game!

I'm interested to see how Stenson plays coming off surgery.  Everyone is talking about the three young stars paired together, but Stenson is pretty damn good in his own right.  I'm definitely going to be watching this tonight before bed!  Fans get two pretty decent tournaments to watch this weekend.

Looking forward to this tournament. A lot of interesting names, and a beautiful course. also it feels a bit like the start of the 2016 season for me (even though matches already have been played).

~Jorrit

Was wondering what happened to Weir. Looks like he's getting back into it.

It’s the first step back on a road that has been rocky, to say the least. In his last 17 starts, Weir missed 13 cuts, withdrew from three tournaments and played the weekend just once.

With that record and some difficult personal issues to deal with, he took a leave of absence last summer, spending time with his family, taking his daughters to Europe and not touching a club for seven weeks. It was the longest stretch without swinging a golf club he’d experienced since he was a junior and went through winters back in Brights Grove, Ont.

But after that, it was back to work renewed, refreshed and with what he hopes is a return to form. Weir has reunited with David Leadbetter, whom he worked with at the start of his career. The two have spent considerable time together with the teacher trying to find a solution to Weir’s problems, which can be traced to one club: the driver.

http://www.sports2health.ca/2016/01/weir-ready-for-return-to-competitive.html

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Stenson/McIlroy vs Spieth/Fowler on Golfboards. Watch that ankle I was thinking while McIlroy was riding.

Steve

What a bunch of knuckleheads.  Cool to see them horsing around together having a great time.........

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Pick up the pace boys!

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/spieth-hit-monitoring-penalty-slow-play/

Spieth hit with 'monitoring' penalty for slow play

By Rex Hoggard

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates – European Tour officials didn’t waste any time putting the circuit’s new slow play policy to work, doling out a “monitoring” penalty to world No. 1 Jordan Spieth on Day 1 at the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship.

Spieth’s group, which included Rory McIlroy and Rickie Fowler, was informed they were being monitored by John Paramor, the European Tour’s chief rules official, as they walked to the fourth tee (the group’s 13th hole of the day).

Under the circuit’s new policy, which was announced at a players’ meeting on Tuesday, a player has 40 seconds (with an additional 10 seconds if they play first) to play a shot once they are informed they are being monitored.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Stenson highlights:

Stenson a month and a half ago:

Gregory Havret - hole in one:

Ian Poulter provides some overhead photos:

All aboard the Rory train:

Steve

The leader is Bryson DeChambeau, the US Amateur champion, who shot 64.   From reading up on this guy a little, I really hope he hangs around, because he's a very interesting character.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/mcilroy-upstages-spieth-with-1st-round-66-in-abu-dhabi/ar-BBovs13?li=BBnba9I

"DeChambeau is one of golf's characters -- calling himself the "Golf Scientist," he has modified his irons to make them all the same length, he has two driver swings, he puts his balls in Epsom salts to establish which of them are slightly flawed, and wears a Ben Hogan-style flat cap."

Just reading that one paragraph makes me a fan. 

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

good, that is excellent.  these guys need to know that they cannot take as much time as they want. i dont care who it is, play faster or GTFO.

Colin P.

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I was about to start a dedicated thread, but this is better. :)  Somebody needs to tell Jordan where he belongs on the course ...

“It didn’t make any sense to me,” Spieth told reporters after his four-under round of 68.

“The guys behind us hadn't even reached the fairway on a par five.”

Come on dude!  Don't worry about the people behind you, worry about the people in front of you!!!  (I nominate @Fourputt to tell him since it is - or was - his signature.):-P

10 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Come on dude!  Don't worry about the people behind you, worry about the people in front of you!!!  (I nominate @Fourputt to tell him since it is - or was - his signature.):-P

Had the exact same thought and was coming here to post it. Just because the group behind is slower than you doesn't mean you're not slow!

Speith does seem to be a relatively deliberate player, but by no means the worst. He's no Snedeker, but he's no Furyk either. Wouldn't hurt him to pick up the pace.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

35 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I was about to start a dedicated thread, but this is better. :)  Somebody needs to tell Jordan where he belongs on the course ...

“It didn’t make any sense to me,” Spieth told reporters after his four-under round of 68.

“The guys behind us hadn't even reached the fairway on a par five.”

His image is forever tarnished for me! :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

25 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Had the exact same thought and was coming here to post it. Just because the group behind is slower than you doesn't mean you're not slow!

Speith does seem to be a relatively deliberate player, but by no means the worst. He's no Snedeker, but he's no Furyk either. Wouldn't hurt him to pick up the pace.

Yeah, and I can also appreciate that it stinks to be a player who gets nabbed for being slow while the group is being watched, however while not having been the player(s) that caused you're group to get out of position and put on the clock in the first place.  Not at all sure if that happened here, but just pointing out that it would stink. :P

Slow is slow but handing out a penalty on the last hole is silly. Jordan can be kind of deliberate at times but I doubt a fine will change his ways when he's grinding to win it.

Dave :-)

4 hours ago, Dave2512 said:

Slow is slow but handing out a penalty on the last hole is silly. Jordan can be kind of deliberate at times but I doubt a fine will change his ways when he's grinding to win it.

at think at this point, the fine is irrelevant, but the public embarrassment has to sting a little.

Colin P.

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

at think at this point, the fine is irrelevant, but the public embarrassment has to sting a little.

I doubt JS is embarrassed, he's OWGR #1 and Paramor has already been painted a villain for the penalty he called on the kid at the Masters.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 3013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!