IGNORED

NL going to add DH?

saevel25
Note: This thread is 3009 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Designated Hitter Rule  

12 members have voted

1. 1. If it were up to you would you:

• Add the DH to the NL
    • Remove the DH from the AL
    • Leave the rule as it stands (DH for AL, no DH for NL)

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Ugh.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I, personally, can't wait. :-)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Another great idea: How about substituting the standard baseball for something more like a tennis ball. Think of the home runs all those non-pitchers would hit. 

Oh, oh, oh. I've got another.

You know how they talk about lowering the pitcher's mound. Forget that. Let's have the bastards throw out of a pitcher's hole. Kind of like a baseball pot bunker.

Baseball is a bit of an odd sport in that one position (pitching) has such a disproportionate impact on the contest; and by going to the DH it changes the decision process of having to go to the bullpen. To me it is a sad decision because it is really about nothing more than money, more money for the players (or at least a player per team), more revenue from advertising (because advertisers (like chicks) dig the long ball, and it makes for a longer game. To me there is a certain balance to the game with no DH, much more on the manager to make pitching change decisions, or to play small ball at the bottom of the order to advance a runner.

I've often wondered what the other sports would look like if there was something similar to DH'ing?

- basketball, I think, could allow designated free throw shooters

- golf you could choose either a designated driver (long drive contestants) or maybe designated putters. Think of ZJ with a designated driver.

Players play, tough players win!

16 hours ago, jamo said:

I, personally, can't wait. :-)

Me too. Not because I like the DH. But because it will infuriate the baseball "purists". You know those whiney old guys who complain the game isn't the same two centuries after it was invented.

But the reason they'll do it is economics. With starting pitchers costing $30MM per year, it is a lot harder to justify them batting and running bases when their primary purpose is slinging a 95MPH fastball at the corners of the plate. You can plug in a bench guy to bat.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Me too. Not because I like the DH.

Me, three, but I support the reasons for it. NL already is the only major league in the world without a DH and most pitchers suck at hitting and baserunning because they spend most of their time (rightfully so) practicing pitching. It lengthens the lineup and reduces the chance of injuries. Plus, dingers. Who wants to see some dingers?

8 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

But because it will infuriate the baseball "purists". You know those whiney old guys who complain the game isn't the same two centuries after it was invented.

They ruined the game when they lowered the mound. Oh and fences. What's up with that? I want to see 420' homeruns actually fly 420'. Those outfielders need more exercise. ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

I hope the DH never comes to the NL. I still wish it'd go away in the AL.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I hope that it happens. It makes no sense to me that the two leagues operate under different rules.

That being said, if for some reason they decided to eliminate the DH from the AL, that would be fine with me too. That's never going to happen though. What I want to see is consistency between the two leagues.

*Poll added

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Should've done this years ago.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

I agree, DH simplifies the game from a strategic and management stand point.  Some of the toughest decisions a NL manager has to make is to pinch hit or run for a pitcher who's doing well, or doing a double swap to optimize the batting lineup for the rest of the game.  I also like that the NL rewards pitchers who try to be complete players and can contribute to their own victories with a bat in their hand.

Joe Paradiso

I hope they do it. I've never been a fan of watching a pitcher hit and even less of a fan watching star pitchers get hurt batting or running the bases. 

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

Taking the managers further out of the game is completely fine by me. They already don't do a whole lot compared to football or basketball. I couldn't care much less if they were marginalized further. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

On 1/23/2016 at 11:06 AM, iacas said:

This has always been my position as well partially because ...

On 1/23/2016 at 11:10 AM, tristanhilton85 said:

It makes no sense to me that the two leagues operate under different rules.

And mainly because the DH always felt, just, I don't know, wrong.

On 1/23/2016 at 11:10 AM, tristanhilton85 said:

That being said, if for some reason they decided to eliminate the DH from the AL, that would be fine with me too. That's never going to happen though. What I want to see is consistency between the two leagues.

And I feel the same way about this.  If I had my druthers, I'd still prefer pitchers hit in both leagues.  But if they go to the DH in both leagues, I would take that over the different sets of rules now.

On 1/23/2016 at 11:13 AM, newtogolf said:

I agree, DH simplifies the game from a strategic and management stand point.  Some of the toughest decisions a NL manager has to make is to pinch hit or run for a pitcher who's doing well, or doing a double swap to optimize the batting lineup for the rest of the game.  I also like that the NL rewards pitchers who try to be complete players and can contribute to their own victories with a bat in their hand.

I agree with this as well, although ...

53 minutes ago, jamo said:

Taking the managers further out of the game is completely fine by me. They already don't do a whole lot compared to football or basketball. I couldn't care much less if they were marginalized further. 

This is true too.  They have nothing at all to do between the time they set their lineup and usually around the 5th or 6th inning.  Then it's just 90 minutes worth of which lefty should I put against which righty, etc, until the closer is ready. :-P  (Unless you're one of those control enthusiasts like Mike Scioscia who calls all the pitches all game)

As you can see, I'm not strongly attached to either idea anymore, but if I got to make the decision I'd still stick with 9 players on each team all playing offense AND defense.

I also appreciate that adding a DH to the NL creates jobs, whereas removing the DH from the AL eliminates them - they're being good American politicians if they go this way. :beer:

On 1/23/2016 at 2:06 PM, iacas said:

Agreed.  

I hate the DH with an absolute passion.  It takes all strategy out of the game and just adds another one of these stupid hitters that can't do anything except hit a HR, strikeout, or walk.  Adding a DH also removes the need for depth in a team....having the DH means a manager can stick with their starters all the time instead of needing a couple of solid batters on the bench that can come into the game to pinch hit when the game is on the line.  The DH just cheapens the game.

What's in the bag:
Taylormade R15 
Callaway X2Hot pro 3W
Callaway X2Hot pro 20* hybrid
Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 50,54, and 58 degree wedges
Taylormade White Smoke putter

On 1/23/2016 at 7:49 AM, billchao said:

Me, three, but I support the reasons for it. NL already is the only major league in the world without a DH and most pitchers suck at hitting and baserunning because they spend most of their time (rightfully so) practicing pitching. It lengthens the lineup and reduces the chance of injuries. Plus, dingers. Who wants to see some dingers?

They ruined the game when they lowered the mound. Oh and fences. What's up with that? I want to see 420' homeruns actually fly 420'. Those outfielders need more exercise. ;-)

I like the tradition aspect and the strategizing for the manager, but there's no reason substitutions still can't come into play with pinch hitters. Admittedly less of a risk/reward scenario though with the pitcher slot out of the lineup. Tougher lineups will likely make for longer games with more pitching changes and middle relievers.

I forgot about the mound. If the NL DH idea goes forward why not give one for one. Fewer automatic outs offset by a bolstered edge for the pitcher so there's still a chance for well pitched complete games and all the good and rare stuff (no hitters) on the pitching side.

@Golfingdad - control 'enthusiast' - LOL

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

Note: This thread is 3009 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!