IGNORED

Best common man Golf course in the country ?

Note: This thread is 3012 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. I believe more that once my course has been rated in the top 5 public courses in the country.

2. I walk so cost is just over $2.00 a day.

3. My dog is welcome at no charge, although I pay a small fee annually.

4. I do not need to check in. if 1 or 10 is open I can just go. Common sense is needed.

5. I can pay dues quarterly. 

6. 11 of the 14 driving holes are down hill. ( So with a stiff trailing wind even us geezers  can pop a 300yarder every now and then ).

7. All our greens are Augusta like. ( At least 12" elevation change on all greens (nothing flat.))

8. A very country and causal type atmosphere.

9. Beautiful rustic clubhouse, with a picturesque view. Also large enough for receptions and such.

10. Sadly (for the club) it is very rural and play is on the light side.  (middle Tennessee) 

Please do not look at this as bragging, ( I am a member, not the owner) I am simply saying how great full I am to be able to spend my retirement years on a course like this.

If you have a better course please let me know, I would to play it.

Edited by gmc1950s

Sounds like all that's needed is a Dome enclosure with lights and temperature control and fans behind each tee so every hole would be downwind.

What more could a guy ask for? Well maybe a cart with a big screen TV.......and lots of cold beer.......:beer:

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

30 minutes ago, gmc1950s said:

1. I believe more that once my course has been rated in the top 5 public courses in the country.

3. My dog is welcome at no charge, although I pay a small fee annually.

4. I do not need to check in. if 1 or 10 is open I can just go. Common sense is needed.

6. 11 of the 14 driving holes are down hill. ( So with a stiff trailing wind even us geezers  can pop a 300yarder every now and then ).

7. All our greens are Augusta like. ( At least 12" elevation change on all greens (nothing flat.))

8. A very country and causal type atmosphere.

9. Beautiful rustic clubhouse, with a picturesque view. Also large enough for receptions and such.

10. Sadly (for the club) it is very rural and play is on the light side.  (middle Tennessee) 

Please do not look at this as bragging, ( I am a member, not the owner) I am simply saying how great full I am to be able to spend my retirement years on a course like this.

If you have a better course please let me know, I would to play it.

There are some really nice courses down there in mid-TN. Two of my daughters live down in Murfreesboro, so I hope to get down there and play a round. I have a nice country-style course too here in Ohio, where the charge for membership is minimal and I get to play as much as I want. The fairway conditions are fair, but the greens are superb.

Dave

14 hours ago, gmc1950s said:

1. It would be useful to me to know the name of the course and the city/town in which it is located.

2. & 5. You pay dues which implies a private or semi private.  What are the quarterly dues for a single golfer who walks?  Is the $2+ fee to walk the course in addition to the dues?

Your course certainly sounds like a great layout and probably very inexpensive.

Brian Kuehn

59 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

1. It would be useful to me to know the name of the course and the city/town in which it is located.

2. & 5. You pay dues which implies a private or semi private.  What are the quarterly dues for a single golfer who walks?  Is the $2+ fee to walk the course in addition to the dues?

Your course certainly sounds like a great layout and probably very inexpensive.

I'm waiting for permission  to give out other information.  It is not a private course and the membership is open to anyone who wants to join. My membership dues are $800 per year which is up $100. from last year and no cart. I think a cart is an extra 4 or 5 hundred a year. That entitles you to unlimited golf, and the use of the facilities. Sorry coffee and range balls are extra. Daily fees are somewhere around $35. I think. I use the course almost daily, For instance the course is covered with snow today but I still took my dog and the owners dog for a six or eight hole walk. #5 is a tough one. I should have said payment and not dues. I believe it was set up so members wouldn't have to come up with all the money at once ...............but the human race being what it is, this is what happens. Some members won't make the winter payment. They are either cheap or don't realize it's a quarterly payment toward their annual dues.

Other concerns they had about giving out too much information was the dog issue. They love their dogs like everyone else but they could foresee a 4some showing up with 6 dog!  They know I pickup and look after my puppy and after 6 years she has Golf course manners. They are not so sure about others.

The 2 dollars was only what it cost me to play everyday 365 into $800. is $2.00+ per day.  I use the course most everyday I just broke the $800. down to a daily cost for dramatic effect. To clarify it is not  quarterly dues, it's a quarterly  payment. I am pretty much the only walker if you don't count the collage kids one day from last year. It is not an easy walk....remember 11 of the 14 driving holes are down hill. Also the not needing  to check in is probably more of a convenience to them so they don't have to deal with me every day.      

The next time you're down this way and if you want to walk you and your dog (?) may be my guests. If you do make it down please enjoy the scenery as I would expect  your 7.8 may take a little hit. Augusta type greens...remember, and first time playing the course. Leave me a personal message if you want.                                                                                                                                                                                                            

All I can say is that I'm thankful that no one is allowed to bring a dog onto any of the courses I play.  We don't need that sort of loose impediment on the course - the geese provide enough of it on some of the courses I play.  

My most often played course here is under $400 for an annual membership, including cart, but I certainly wouldn't have the courage to try and compare it to Augusta (by the way, 12 inches would be a flat green at Augusta). :~(

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

my favorite common man course is in my home town, it is owned by the county, has been used as a qualifier for the State Am and for various City and County championships. The front side is longer with only 1 hole with water and only 1 real dogleg, the back side has water on 6 holes and 5 doglegs, and the greens are fast & true.

Cost, weekends, is $25/cart - $15 walking, weekdays are $20/$12 - and although I can't get back there enough to justify it the annual fee is $825/$525; but you can't play golf all year in this weather so I won't guestimate what the per round/day break down would be. But were I to retire I could easily play 100+ rounds there.

Players play, tough players win!

1 hour ago, Fourputt said:

All I can say is that I'm thankful that no one is allowed to bring a dog onto any of the courses I play.  We don't need that sort of loose impediment on the course - the geese provide enough of it on some of the courses I play.  

My most often played course here is under $400 for an annual membership, including cart, but I certainly wouldn't have the courage to try and compare it to Augusta (by the way, 12 inches would be a flat green at Augusta). :~(

You are correct sir I would not like to encounter that "sort of loose impediment" either. If you will note I did mention that I pickup up and look after her. My comment about the greens (all of our greens have at least 12" elevation change) being Augusta like was only in my imagination as I've never played there. I did not compare my course to Augusta only that our greens were Augusta like.                           

You are indeed lucky to be paying under $400. including cart for an annual membership. I really don't know much about G.C. management but I don't see how they manage at that price. What is the name and location of your course? How much is it for a walker? If it wasn't too far away I would gladly become a member there too. Don't worry I'll leave the dog at home!!

40 minutes ago, gmc1950s said:

You are correct sir I would not like to encounter that "sort of loose impediment" either. If you will note I did mention that I pickup up and look after her. My comment about the greens (all of our greens have at least 12" elevation change) being Augusta like was only in my imagination as I've never played there. I did not compare my course to Augusta only that our greens were Augusta like.                           

You are indeed lucky to be paying under $400. including cart for an annual membership. I really don't know much about G.C. management but I don't see how they manage at that price. What is the name and location of your course? How much is it for a walker? If it wasn't too far away I would gladly become a member there too. Don't worry I'll leave the dog at home!!

That course is in northeastern Colorado, so probably not for you.  I buy a membership there primarily because it's cheap and it's what's available.  

I still drive to Denver, and into the mountains as well, as often as is feasible.   I have some favorite courses that I love to play, but the nearest of them is still a bit more than 2 hours away.  I even rejoined the Men's Club at my old home course just because I miss the friends and the competition.  I'll have to drive 2½ hours each way for tournaments, sometimes stay overnight in a hotel for multiple day competitions, but I'm still looking forward to it.

By the way, I too am a responsible dog owner, but I've known too many who aren't, and they tend to spoil it for the rest of us.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

my favorite common man course is in my home town, it is owned by the county, has been used as a qualifier for the State Am and for various City and County championships. The front side is longer with only 1 hole with water and only 1 real dogleg, the back side has water on 6 holes and 5 doglegs, and the greens are fast & true.

Cost, weekends, is $25/cart - $15 walking, weekdays are $20/$12 - and although I can't get back there enough to justify it the annual fee is $825/$525; but you can't play golf all year in this weather so I won't guestimate what the per round/day break down would be. But were I to retire I could easily play 100+ rounds there.

If your course is hosting those kind of events then I would guess it's one of the better ones in the area. I imagine those prices are fairly close to what my course charges. Fourputt mentioned his annual fees are under $400. which includes a cart. . I don't know how they survive at those prices.

Your course reminds me of Ft. Ord, a military  course (s) in California. We used to go every Monday as my workmate was a retired small bird Colonel. We could play for 12 or 15 dollars all day (course that was like a hundred years ago) if memory serves. They had the U.S. open qualifying there one Monday. You are lucky to be able to play on a course that hosts those kinds of events.

I think my course is tough enough 74.6/136 from the back tees but our fairways aren't as lush. I would guess that your county can afford more maintenance than  a "for profit" course.  

11 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

That course is in northeastern Colorado, so probably not for you.  I buy a membership there primarily because it's cheap and it's what's available.  

I still drive to Denver, and into the mountains as well, as often as is feasible.   I have some favorite courses that I love to play, but the nearest of them is still a bit more than 2 hours away.  I even joined the Men's Club at my old home course just because I miss the friends and the competition.  I'll have to drive 2½ hours each way for tournaments, sometimes stay overnight in a hotel for multiple day competitions, but I'm still looking forward to it.

By the way, I too am a responsible dog owner, but I've known too many who aren't, and they tend to spoil it for the rest of us.

Sounds like your "season" is much shorter than ours as we can play most every day, which would explain your modest price. My club could not survive with a shorter season.  We just don't have population to really support a nice golf course. Two hours each way is a commitment that I understand well. I think our Ft. Ord trip were about that long but we had three drivers and we played from sun up to sun down so it was worth it.

I understand the ( but I've known to many that aren't) as those are the ones that the owners are worried about.

6 minutes ago, gmc1950s said:

Note: This thread is 3012 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!