IGNORED

Shrinking drivers?

Note: This thread is 2982 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Read that the TaylorMade M1 driver is available in both 460cc and 430cc - one off or a trend?

Wondering if the increase in mini drivers are leading a move back to the option of a smaller size.

my driver is 422cc, not quite a mini but I'm happy with that

. r9a.jpg.19fddffcd7e9103941796045ee99442c

R7 425 driver -- 4 wood -- 2 hybrids -- 5 irons -- 2 wedges -- Ping PAL2 putter -- Titleist NXT Tour S

They often offer 430cc heads  in many of their products such as the SLDR and R15 and many others along the way. Many better golfers are not worried about hitting the sweet spot and can take advantage of a smaller head, and prefer a smaller head to look at I guess?

Mini-drivers are higher lofted and are teed off lower. It is mentally a more comfortable target because it is hit so close to the ground. They're like really big 3 woods. Not sure if it really is advantageous or not. I still prefer to tee up higher and it seems easier for me to hit up with a 460cc driver.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, Traveller said:

Read that the TaylorMade M1 driver is available in both 460cc and 430cc - one off or a trend?

Wondering if the increase in mini drivers are leading a move back to the option of a smaller size.

I think the popularity with mini-drivers is due to the fact that some golfers find that the shorter length shafts on them give golfers better control and accuracy on tee shots. 

5 hours ago, Traveller said:

4 hours ago, Lihu said:

They often offer 430cc heads  in many of their products such as the SLDR and R15 and many others along the way. Many better golfers are not worried about hitting the sweet spot and can take advantage of a smaller head, and prefer a smaller head to look at I guess?

Mini-drivers are higher lofted and are teed off lower. It is mentally a more comfortable target because it is hit so close to the ground. They're like really big 3 woods. Not sure if it really is advantageous or not. I still prefer to tee up higher and it seems easier for me to hit up with a 460cc driver.

Most OEMs offer a smaller head. Titlest D2 is 460 and D3 is 440.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

9 hours ago, Traveller said:

The actual head volume doesn't really mean much anymore, and the manufacturers outside of Taylormade aren't using it as a distinguishing metric as much as in the past. The manufacturers can play around with head shapes much more than they could in the past due to the lighter materials and better manufacturing techniques. They can make a 460 head look compact and a 445 head look massive and forgiving all by making the head taller, flatter, pear shaped, etc. 

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I think a mini-driver may actually be more forgiving than a 460cc for a couple of reasons:

Shallow face -- heel-toe misses are not as penal due to more weight distributed along the horizontal plane of impact.  This increases horizontal MOI.

Heavier head -- a mini driver uses a heavier head to maintain swingweight with a shorter shaft.  This increases MOI on all axes.

Personally, when I tee off with 3W I feel like impact regularly tends to be more solid and I suspect it is for these reasons.

Related: I recently picked up a Cleveland Launcher 400cc driver, 8.5 loft with the stock Fuji gold shaft at 45" just to try a smaller head.  After about a dozen balls I think the forgiveness is OK, pretty close to a typical 460 head, but the distance for me was incredible. The deep face and smaller front-to-back pushes the CG forward and seems like it makes this head a real spin-killer in 8.5.  Medium height launch and very slow descent compared to my other drivers.  I think it likely performs every bit as well as a SLDR 430.

4 hours ago, dkolo said:

The actual head volume doesn't really mean much anymore, and the manufacturers outside of Taylormade aren't using it as a distinguishing metric as much as in the past. The manufacturers can play around with head shapes much more than they could in the past due to the lighter materials and better manufacturing techniques. They can make a 460 head look compact and a 445 head look massive and forgiving all by making the head taller, flatter, pear shaped, etc. 

This is exactly why I tend to prefer Callaway's style of head shape with the woods. Back when I used the old 454 it didn't at all look like a 454cc head.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

"Mini drivers" = 12*-16* loft & shorter shafts = oversized 3w. It's more about loft & shorter shafts  than "mini". The drivers you speak of really don't fall in the category of "mini".

Edited by LBlack14

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Yeah, we may be talking about two different clubs  The 460cc and 430cc - 440cc heads are full size drivers, but the smaller of the two is usually the lower handicap version.  Titleist, TaylorMade, Cobra and Callaway all make slightly smaller driver heads for lower handicap players who don't like or want the full size driver head, they also tend to be less forgiving.

Mini-drivers are shorter shafted, higher lofted and the head size is in between a driver and a fairway wood.  There was a SLDR-mini and Callaway had a mini driver as well to go along with their #Deep fairway woods.

Joe Paradiso

On 1/27/2016 at 0:52 AM, Traveller said:

Smaller head allows for faster swings... Assuming you've got the swing to be able to hit the ball well it would suit a lot of slower swingers. At least IMO. They're still marketed towards the better player though.

Edited by freshmanUTA

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2016 at 0:22 PM, freshmanUTA said:

Smaller head allows for faster swings... Assuming you've got the swing to be able to hit the ball well it would suit a lot of slower swingers. At least IMO. They're still marketed towards the better player though.

That's the truth of it. We not so good players tend to spend our dollars on lessons!

• Upvote 1

R7 425 driver -- 4 wood -- 2 hybrids -- 5 irons -- 2 wedges -- Ping PAL2 putter -- Titleist NXT Tour S

• 2 weeks later...

Neither a one off or a trend.

A lot of OEMs have had smaller, "Tour" models for the last few years, Titleist with the 915 line comes to mind, TaylorMade with their last three or four models, Callaway had one or two, Exotics last three drivers have done it, A few companies have not really done it, but most of the bigger Driver companies have...

That being said, 430cc or so, is 20-25% larger than anything that was on the market even 15 years ago.  And nearly 3x the size of the original metal drivers which were about the same size as persimmon.

That being said, my old wilson 1200 Gear Effect Driver is a real mini driver... :-D

Edited by onthehunt526
added another point.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Note: This thread is 2982 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!