IGNORED

Titleist SM6 Wedges

Note: This thread is 2956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Information is now up on Titleist's site.

http://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/wedges/sm6

http://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/b/tourblog/archive/2016/01/26/introducing-the-new-vokey-design-sm6-wedges

Introducing the new Vokey Design SM6 wedges

BY MIKE D.,

“These are the best wedges we’ve ever made. Our engineers have taken everything I’ve learned working with tour players, PGA pros and amateurs over the last 20-plus years, everything (Vokey Tour Rep) Aaron Dill has learned from being on tour week in and week out, and brought it to life with technology that will help golfers at every level of the game. SM6 really is the total package.”

- Bob Vokey

The next step in wedge innovation from the clear leader in the category, the new Titleist Vokey Design Spin Milled 6 wedges establish a new performance standard by improving in the three key areas of wedge play: distance gapping, shot versatility and spin control.

Already the most played wedge model on the PGA Tour, Vokey SM6 wedges provide precise distance control, enhanced shot versatility, maximum spin and superior feel through the following key technologies:

A groundbreaking new Progressive Center of Gravity (CG) design aligns the CG with the impact position of each loft to produce precise distance and trajectory control with exceptional feel. Engineered using cutting-edge CAD technology, the Progressive CG is visible technology on the back of the wedge.

• Low Loft (46º-52º) SM6 models feature a low CG that increases ball speed on average by 1.5mph (3-5 yards). This low CG position provides a precisely aligned progression from a typical iron set. It is visible technology, highlighted by a thinner topline and raised lower section.  

• Mid lofts (54º & 56º) feature a mid CG position, precisely aligned between the low lofts and high lofts, that provides precise distance gapping and exceptional feel.

• High lofts (58º-62º) feature a high CG position that produces tighter distance dispersion, improved trajectory control and better feel. The high CG position is precisely aligned with the impact position of high lofted wedges, higher on the face. It is visible technology, highlighted by a raised upper section.

INTRODUCING-SM6-CG.jpg-1040x0.jpg.9cc398

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Interesting. Looks like the lower lofted wedges are meant more for full swing mechanics.

I like the design on the higher lofted ones as well. I wonder how different it would be from my SM5. I rarely take a shot with it outside of 60 yards because it's hard to control and I also have a tendency to glide the club right under the ball around the greens and catch it high on the face. If the higher CG keeps me from losing too much distance on that miss, that alone is a good reason for me to get one.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Interesting. Looks like the lower lofted wedges are meant more for full swing mechanics.

I like the design on the higher lofted ones as well. I wonder how different it would be from my SM5. I rarely take a shot with it outside of 60 yards because it's hard to control and I also have a tendency to glide the club right under the ball around the greens and catch it high on the face. If the higher CG keeps me from losing too much distance on that miss, that alone is a good reason for me to get one.

It looks like they added a little mass to the top line of the high CG wedges. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

It looks like they added a little mass to the top line of the high CG wedges. 

Yea, looks like one of those old Hogan channelbacks. I wonder how it performs.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Pretty silly feature for a lob wedge.  I get the concept, it's just that it will have zero effect on ball flight.  For a low lofted club, yes, weight distribution will affect the sweet spot location through CG and ALSO spin through the gear effect.  But a 60 degree wedge just hits the ball with a glancing blow by design, so raising the CG only makes the sweet spot higher on the face!

21 minutes ago, Tee2Trees said:

But a 60 degree wedge just hits the ball with a glancing blow by design, so raising the CG only makes the sweet spot higher on the face!

That's the point, did you read the excerpt? They said high lofted wedges tend to get contact higher on the face so they raised the CG to move the sweetspot up there.

Bill

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, Tee2Trees said:

Pretty silly feature for a lob wedge.  I get the concept, it's just that it will have zero effect on ball flight.  For a low lofted club, yes, weight distribution will affect the sweet spot location through CG and ALSO spin through the gear effect.  But a 60 degree wedge just hits the ball with a glancing blow by design, so raising the CG only makes the sweet spot higher on the face!

It's the same idea as the Callaway PM grind with its high toe. Since the lob wedge is so frequently opened up, moving the CG closer to where contact will be makes sense. 

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I'm saying that the weight distribution or "stability" of a lob wedge has no bearing on the flight of the ball due to the fact that the high loft eliminates ball compression and any potential for the clubhead to twist on impact.  If you scoop it or submarine it with your lob wedge it doesn't matter where the sweet spot is located, the ball goes nowhere because you barely touched it -- i.e. too much dynamic loft at impact.  Same reason that cavity back irons only help at lower lofts.  Anything over a PW may as well be a blade from a forgiveness standpoint.  Have you ever felt like you caught a ball off the toe of your sand wedge?  No, because when it happens the head doesn't twist and you wouldn't feel the off-center strike.

That being said, it's a good marketing strategy because most people hit wedges too high and short and would like an easy fix.  This, however, won't do it.

• Administrator
On January 27, 2016 at 4:29 PM, Tee2Trees said:

A sweet spot higher on the face is beneficial for good wedge players. The SM5 wasn't as well liked by good wedge players for many short game shots hit intentionally a little thin because the vertical gear effect is reduced.

On January 28, 2016 at 4:34 PM, Tee2Trees said:

I'm saying that the weight distribution or "stability" of a lob wedge has no bearing on the flight of the ball due to the fact that the high loft eliminates ball compression and any potential for the clubhead to twist on impact.

And you'd be wrong… vertical gear effect is important, particularly on lower wedge shots. Path and CG have a fairly significant affect on the resultant ball flight.

Intentional thin shots (not thin like "bladed" - just a groove lower or something)  take advantage of vertical gear effect to launch lower and spin more.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 4 weeks later...

Anxious to find out how they perform. Hoping weather is fine enough to put them in play in a few weeks when they ship to my house. Really looking forward to them 

19 minutes ago, dsal89 said:

Anxious to find out how they perform. Hoping weather is fine enough to put them in play in a few weeks when they ship to my house. Really looking forward to them 

Please let us know. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

Wow.  My SM4s are still pretty much 'new.'  SM6 already?

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Had a chance to hit the 60/04 L grind about two weeks ago.  Walked straight in Harbor Town pro shop and ordered a 60/04 L grind and a 54/10 M grind.  Around the greens they are so easy to get the ball in the air and it stopped on a dime. Weight and feel,  felt really really   good. New grooves are different and spin is really good.  They won't get here fast enough !  Retiring the TVD's.  The new steel grey color is nice. 

I have to see if I can try these out somewhere. Funny thing is, I need a new 50°, but I'm most interested in the 60° (or 58° because I think I'm going to shift my wedges up to 50-54-58 as opposed to 52-56-60 due to my PW being 45° instead of 48°) due to the higher CG.

The 60° is the newest of my wedges, too. Maybe I can trade it in or sell it to save on the cost of a new one.

Bill

My Swing Thread

5 hours ago, billchao said:

I have to see if I can try these out somewhere. Funny thing is, I need a new 50°, but I'm most interested in the 60° (or 58° because I think I'm going to shift my wedges up to 50-54-58 as opposed to 52-56-60 due to my PW being 45° instead of 48°) due to the higher CG.

The 60° is the newest of my wedges, too. Maybe I can trade it in or sell it to save on the cost of a new one.

I hit them on Friday at Golfsmith. They are nice. Tough to really tell how they perform indoors though. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

I hit them on Friday at Golfsmith. They are nice. Tough to really tell how they perform indoors though. 

Yea that's why I don't do that anymore. You just can't tell. The sims suck at shots launched high and I'm not just looking to see what the club's performance is off a perfect lie.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Look on the Titleist website and search for local courses that are Titleist accounts.  They should have at least one wedge by now that you can take out to the practice green.  That's what I did at Harbor Town.  Spent about 45 minutes with them.  Walked back in and ordered.  Told me I would have them by the 20th of March.  Awesome wedges.

7 hours ago, tball said:

Look on the Titleist website and search for local courses that are Titleist accounts.  They should have at least one wedge by now that you can take out to the practice green.  That's what I did at Harbor Town.  Spent about 45 minutes with them.  Walked back in and ordered.  Told me I would have them by the 20th of March.  Awesome wedges.

My local Golfsmith said they would have them on March 11.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!