IGNORED

2016 Farmers Insurance Open Discussion

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Almost February, beautiful views of San Diego, we're certain to see some parasailing, and we say hello to the CBS crew in 2016.

Defending champion Jason Day makes his second start after sitting out all fall, joined by No. 6 Rickie Fowler and 10 other players from among the top 30 in the current Official World Golf Ranking. … San Diego native Phil Mickelson returns for his 20th appearance, hoping his hometown course might allow him to end a dry spell that reaches back to the 2013 Open Championship. … Touted Australian teenager Ryan Ruffels, just 17, will make his professional debut at the event. Six months ago, Ruffels opened the RBC Canadian Open with a 66 before rounds of 75-76 led to a Saturday MDF.

http://www.pgatour.com/the-first-look/2016/01/22/first-look-farmers-insurance-open.html

http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/farmers-insurance-open.html

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's already been said I'm sure, but I'm so excited for this season, especially after rickies win last week.

Looking forward to a lot of battles between those top 4 all year, and hopefully it starts this week with day and fowler! :)

Really pumped for this event. I was able to play Torrey Pines about 3 weeks ago, so it will be cool to watch them play the course after I did. Of course, they're playing 1000 yards back from where I was, so it will be a little different game.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Waiting for a Dr. appointment at an office adjacent to the course.  Had an hour to kill between blood work and the appointment.  Took a walk along the east perimeter of the North. Saw Reed tee off on the 16th with 4 amatures, a fivesome. The course looks to be in great shape. 

3 hours ago, colin007 said:

this really is the first event of the season. just makes me depressed that Tigs isnt anywhere near playing.

Sorry, but I think his time has passed.  I am really looking forward to the "Fab Four" to duke it out this season.  Too bad Rory is playing in Qatar this week.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

3 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

It's already been said I'm sure, but I'm so excited for this season, especially after rickies win last week.

Looking forward to a lot of battles between those top 4 all year, and hopefully it starts this week with day and fowler! :)

Fowler wins a tournament and you don't even capitalize his first name??? :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Just now, boogielicious said:

Fowler wins a tournament and you don't even capitalize his first name??? :-P

Or his last name, or days.

I have no respect! :-P

(The spelling grammar issues that may pop up occasionally on my posts are likely from me posting quickly from my phone while merging onto the freeway.)

I'm kidding! (but I think they are from my phone):beer:

Every year, I say I'll make the trip down to San Diego for this tournament.
And every year, I fail to do so.

I did make it down to Torrey for the Open, and walked a bit of the public portion of the property when I interviewed for a job in the area a few years ago.

Maybe I'll make it to the 2017 event.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On January 27, 2016 at 10:43 AM, colin007 said:

this really is the first event of the season. just makes me depressed that Tigs isnt anywhere near playing.

Me too. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

3 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Any word on if Day is healthy enough to play today?

He will.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/defending-champ-day-flu-will-play-farmers/

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

33 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Looks like a Nationwide Tour leaderboard right now. Where are the big boys?

South course was playing tougher so scores from those playing it were higher.  Should see the bigger names near the top heading into the weekend.

Joe Paradiso

On 1/27/2016 at 7:57 AM, DeadMan said:

Really pumped for this event. I was able to play Torrey Pines about 3 weeks ago, so it will be cool to watch them play the course after I did. Of course, they're playing 1000 yards back from where I was, so it will be a little different game.

I live a few miles away and have attended a couple times.  What works well is to get just ahead of the crowd and stand at driving distance along the fairway. Hope it doesn't get foggy again.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

14 hours ago, newtogolf said:

South course was playing tougher so scores from those playing it were higher.  Should see the bigger names near the top heading into the weekend.

Yep.  Of the top 14, 3 played the South, 11 played the North. 

One of the local players from Country Club of Fairfax is tied for 10th - Steve Marino

Mickelson dropping down the leader-board, thought he would play well here.  North Course, for me, was far easier than the South Course.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Mickelson does an imitation of Big Ben

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 2999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!