IGNORED

Different swing for Driver and Irons

RussUK
Note: This thread is 2965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Irons - keeping the right elbow closer to the body on the backswing.

Driver - wide takeaway for more distance and so I don't get stuck. This club takes a lot more practice than my irons. I'm starting to get it now. But I have to hit about 40 balls each session with it. My goal this year is to get the distance and keep it in the short grass. This will help reduce the second shots to 9 irons on most of my par 4s. I play the tee it forward. I see the pros hitting 8 and 9 irons into greens on par 4s so why shouldn't I have the same fun?

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Irons - keeping the right elbow closer to the body on the backswing.

Driver - wide takeaway for more distance and so I don't get stuck. This club takes a lot more practice than my irons. I'm starting to get it now. But I have to hit about 40 balls each session with it. My goal this year is to get the distance and keep it in the short grass. This will help reduce the second shots to 9 irons on most of my par 4s. I play the tee it forward. I see the pros hitting 8 and 9 irons into greens on par 4s so why shouldn't I have the same fun?

I have the same kind of swing for my irons and driver.

I play the tips.  I like pain.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

3 hours ago, vangator said:

I have the same kind of swing for my irons and driver.

I play the tips.  I like pain.

DrvFrShow, I just re-read my post and I wanted to clarify.  I meant to say I have the same kind of swing as you for my irons and driver. :-)

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Here are the difference I do. 

1. I put slightly more tilt in my set up to promote hitting up on the ball
2. I move the ball more forward, just past my left arm pit. 

That's about it. Just a few set up changes. Then I just swing normal. Typically I hit a slight push draw, or a straight cut when I am swinging well. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

27 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Here are the difference I do. 

1. I put slightly more tilt in my set up to promote hitting up on the ball
2. I move the ball more forward, just past my left arm pit. 

That's about it. Just a few set up changes. Then I just swing normal. Typically I hit a slight push draw, or a straight cut when I am swinging well. 

I'm not sure I believe that.  Look at your avatar.  You telling me you swing your driver like that?  Must be one of those mini-mini drivers. :-D

6 minutes ago, vangator said:

I'm not sure I believe that.  Look at your avatar.  You telling me you swing your driver like that?  Must be one of those mini-mini drivers. :-D

Umm what does my avatar have anything to do with it. That's a 7 iron in that image. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

Umm what does my avatar have anything to do with it. That's a 7 iron in that image. 

If that was a driver in your hands, you think you would look like that at that same point in your swing?

11 minutes ago, vangator said:

If that was a driver in your hands, you think you would look like that at that same point in your swing?

Not as steep because a driver naturally produces a flatter swing. Yet I was always steep in the downswing. The set up changes do promote hitting up and a slightly more inward path with out changing your swing mechanics. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
9 hours ago, vangator said:

He would and does. The shaft is a bit flatter, of course, but the body positions are similar.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Saevel if that is your swing in the picture the problem is you're completing the plane too early (across the line/steep whatever they may call it). The grip at that point should be pointing outside the ball, with longer clubs as much as 2-3 feet outside the ball. Your grip end is pointing inside the ball. I will go into more detail later today.

Please read this thread when considering swing advice from me.

3 minutes ago, Golfer2223 said:

The grip at that point should be pointing outside the ball, with longer clubs as much as 2-3 feet outside the ball. Your grip end is pointing inside the ball. I will go into more detail later today.

Please don't. I have a very good instructor and I am working on my swing. This thread is not a place to discuss my swing. I appreciate your input, but I like the direction I am going with what I am working on right now. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

That's great! Here in NY it is too cold to swing, so I have time to offer what I've learned to all golfers. Was going to use you as an example to explain a concept. Teaching online is not really possible. I apologize for not asking if I could use you as an example, and I will just talk generally. In discussing what you're trying to do with your swing in this thread, you brought up an interesting point about the wide takeaway. I believe this is widely discussed and taught, but not understood by many. I think I have a pretty good explanation for it, I will make it a new post.

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, Golfer2223 said:

Teaching online is not really possible.

This is not the topic here, but I strongly disagree with that.

Also, Matt's avatar isn't shot from the right angle, either. HIs shaft is pointing awfully close to his baseline, which is fine.

Again, though, it's off topic for here, so let's leave it there. Start new topics if you want.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You're welcome to disagree. I see there are different forums now, just started on here, appreciate the slack.

I'm aware of the angle. I cannot upload the screenshot because the file is more than 2.44mb, but there is a good video of Mcilroy from the same angle. If you go to youtube and search Rory Mcilroy slow motion swing sequence, the iron view starts at :34. I was looking at the three quarter position on the backswing.

Edited by Golfer2223

• Administrator

@Golfer2223, please start a new topic if you want to cover something outside this topic.

And embed YouTube videos here please. Consult the How To menu at the top if you're not sure how.

11 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Not as steep because a driver naturally produces a flatter swing. Yet I was always steep in the downswing. The set up changes do promote hitting up and a slightly more inward path with out changing your swing mechanics. 

So you're saying a flatter and a steeper swing is the same?

• Administrator
1 minute ago, vangator said:

So you're saying a flatter and a steeper swing is the same?

If that's the only difference I would say they have a lot more the same than not. Are the swings a golfer makes with a 5I and a 7I "the same"?

Note: This thread is 2965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!