IGNORED

KBS vs True Temper

Note: This thread is 3008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm about to get fitted for some new AP1 irons in a couple of weeks.  2 of the shafts offered are KBS and Tru Temper.  I hit the KBS Tour at Dick's Sporting Goods and thought it felt pretty good.  

Anyone have suggestions or opinions of which one they think is better?

I tested both shafts in the AP2 irons a little over a year ago.  For my swing, the KBS produced a slightly higher ball flight, and that's what I chose.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I tested both shafts in the AP2 irons a little over a year ago.  For my swing, the KBS produced a slightly higher ball flight, and that's what I chose.  

I liked the KBS shaft when I hit it.  I've hit some Tru Temper shafts but not with the AP1 clubhead on it.  I'm going to get fitted then go hit the AP1s with the correct flex and gram shaft at Golfsmith after to see which shaft I prefer.  

I am partial for KBS. They tend to feel a bit softer, launch a few degrees higher with slightly less spin. At least for me :) 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• mvmac changed the title to KBS vs True Temper
9 hours ago, CoachKG1984 said:

"Better" depends on what works best for the player and their needs. True Temper and KBS make a variety of shafts that launch the ball high, low, medium and in multiple weight and spin options.

If you are referring the KBS Tours and TT Dynamic Gold S300, then it's basically what others have said, KBS tends to launch the ball higher than Dynamic Gold and feels softer.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

15 hours ago, CoachKG1984 said:

I'm about to get fitted for some new AP1 irons in a couple of weeks.  2 of the shafts offered are KBS and Tru Temper.  I hit the KBS Tour at Dick's Sporting Goods and thought it felt pretty good.  

5 hours ago, mvmac said:

"Better" depends on what works best for the player and their needs. True Temper and KBS make a variety of shafts that launch the ball high, low, medium and in multiple weight and spin options.

If you are referring the KBS Tours and TT Dynamic Gold S300, then it's basically what others have said, KBS tends to launch the ball higher than Dynamic Gold and feels softer.

The new AP1s come with TT XP90 shafts, which are light and high launching. They have other stock shafts you can go with, but if you launch high already, you may want to consider a low launching shaft. 

I would recommend you spend some time evaluating both.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I've always heard that KBS has better quality control. In years past, clubmakers have mentioned that they must go through a lot of TT shafts to get consistency within a set. That may have changed - I haven't played TT in years. I went to Nippon Steel, have played irons previously with KBS, which seem friendly as to feel and launch. I play KBS now in wedges only.

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

1 hour ago, Mr. Desmond said:

I've always heard that KBS has better quality control. In years past, clubmakers have mentioned that they must go through a lot of TT shafts to get consistency within a set. That may have changed - I haven't played TT in years. I went to Nippon Steel, have played irons previously with KBS, which seem friendly as to feel and launch. I play KBS now in wedges only.

My biggest selling point for the shaft I choose is consistency and control.  I don't have any desire to look for distance.  I don't mind playing an extra club if I have to increase distance.  

I've always like TT Dynamic Gold shafts. I don't feel and difference in how soft they are compared to the KBS, They both feel fine to me. I go with Dynamic Gold because the KBS launches too high for me. The Dynamic Gold is cheaper so I'd recommend that if you're worried about price at all. Unless you're talking about the TTDG Tour model, which is a much nicer shaft, I recommend that as well, but to me that one feels too whippy in their flexes. Stiff feels like regular, etc. Maybe it's just me idk.

28 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

I've always like TT Dynamic Gold shafts. I don't feel and difference in how soft they are compared to the KBS, They both feel fine to me. I go with Dynamic Gold because the KBS launches too high for me. The Dynamic Gold is cheaper so I'd recommend that if you're worried about price at all. Unless you're talking about the TTDG Tour model, which is a much nicer shaft, I recommend that as well, but to me that one feels too whippy in their flexes. Stiff feels like regular, etc. Maybe it's just me idk.

Price really isn't an issue.  I'm ordering them through my cousin who is a head pro in South Florida, so I'm getting a pretty decent discount.  I've looked through the Titliest fitting guide and there are multiple options that don't have an upcharge and then there are other options with an upcharge.  The FST KBS Tour and FST KBS Tour 90 don't have an upcharge.  The rest of the KBS shafts do.  

TT has 6 options that aren't an upcharge, but multiples that are.  They do also offer a couple of Nippon options that aren't upcharged.  

QUESTION:  A couple of people have said that KBS has a higher launch.  Is there a negative to that?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CoachKG1984 said:

Price really isn't an issue.  

QUESTION:  A couple of people have said that KBS has a higher launch.  Is there a negative to that?

It's like maybe one to two degrees of dynamic loft. It might be more beneficial for longer irons. 

The shafts are only 6 bucks more per shaft for KBS. 

If you want something inbetween then check out the project x shafts. Those where designed by the guy who designed KBS when he worked for True Temper. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

27 minutes ago, CoachKG1984 said:

Not a negative when spin is kept to desired levels. KBS attempts to design so the shaft releases like a whip to release more energy onto the ball. Take a look at their website   http://kbsgolfshafts.com

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

More than the launch characteristics what I like about KBS is I can feel where the club head is. Never feels like just swinging something the shaft feels more reactive.

I get that with all their shafts. I have three iron sets with KBS, Tour, Tour90 and CTaper. That good feel is there with all of them the variable is trajectory. 

Dave :-)

3 hours ago, CoachKG1984 said:

If you already play shots that are high with shafts that don't launch higher there could be. But usually it's mostly for longer irons as @saevel25 said. 

The AP1's are great clubs, if I had a spare thousand lying around I'd pick up a properly fitted set. As of now my nikes are starting to feel weird, so I may go back to my old pings, but that's off topic.

14 hours ago, CoachKG1984 said:

Only if you want to lower the flight of your irons ;-)

The good thing about KBS shafts compared to "standard" S300 shafts is that even though they do launch higher the spin is controlled.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!