IGNORED

Car broken into, clubs stolen

Note: This thread is 3000 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So this morning was horrible because while I was at class my car was broken into and my clubs, my laptop charger, and some other various things were stolen. In my sadness i went to a local playitagain sports and just looked around for some irons and grabbed the only set that had midsize grips. Heavily used Tommy Armour's. The grooves were in fair condition so i bought them for around $45 before tax along with two wedges that are called "MDX" but i searched online and couldn't find and information about this company/model.

The question i have, since the campus police probably wont solve anything, if i buy titleist AP1's with just the heads, can i take the shafts out of the clubs i just bought and put them into AP1s? Any way to tell if they'll fit? I kinda like the feel of the shafts and they look and feel fairly new, or at least i may be trying to see the positives. I was fit for standard length and lie when i went to have my fitting so i was wondering if this would work.

Aside from that, anyone know some good places to buy used fairway woods and putters? Maybe wedges. I don't need a driver cause i was fortunate enough to have been air-drying it after washing the shaft at home.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My sympathy for your loss.

If changing the shafts from your Tommy Armours to the AP1 heads is a question of CAN it be done, my is answer is always yes it can.  However, the second question is of course SHOULD it be done, I would recommend against it.  As far as I know AP1 iron heads are not an off the shelf item.  It would seem as though a lot of resources would be spent too make 2 sets of irons into 1 set of irons and some spare parts.

When I am in situations similar to yours, I ask myself if it is a good time to try something different.  As an example, if you wanted to try Single or Dual length irons, this may be the time.

As far as a source of used clubs, I have had good results with callawaygolfpreowned.

http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/other-brands/

I look forward to hearing how this all turns out for you.

6 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

So this morning was horrible because while I was at class my car was broken into and my clubs, my laptop charger, and some other various things were stolen. In my sadness i went to a local playitagain sports and just looked around for some irons and grabbed the only set that had midsize grips. Heavily used Tommy Armour's. The grooves were in fair condition so i bought them for around $45 before tax along with two wedges that are called "MDX" but i searched online and couldn't find and information about this company/model.

The question i have, since the campus police probably wont solve anything, if i buy titleist AP1's with just the heads, can i take the shafts out of the clubs i just bought and put them into AP1s? Any way to tell if they'll fit? I kinda like the feel of the shafts and they look and feel fairly new, or at least i may be trying to see the positives. I was fit for standard length and lie when i went to have my fitting so i was wondering if this would work.

Aside from that, anyone know some good places to buy used fairway woods and putters? Maybe wedges. I don't need a driver cause i was fortunate enough to have been air-drying it after washing the shaft at home.

I would look for shafts on e-bay. I see them all the time with entire sets available because they were pulled from some set the customer didn't like. Just type in the shaft type in the search bar and you will surprised how many are available.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

8 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

So this morning was horrible because while I was at class my car was broken into and my clubs, my laptop charger, and some other various things were stolen.

Sorry for your loss. Will your insurance cover that loss? If so, you could end up with a new set of clubs. I always keep my clubs in the trunk of my car where they are not visible and less likely to be stolen. 

WHY?

Would you take a set of new AP1 and sully them with old shafts?  

Just order them through your retailer from Titleist with midsize grips and the shafts that fit you...

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

1 hour ago, 9wood said:

Sorry for your loss. Will your insurance cover that loss? If so, you could end up with a new set of clubs. I always keep my clubs in the trunk of my car where they are not visible and less likely to be stolen. 

I filed a claim but I have comprehensive so they'll only cover the Windows and the gps system. It kinda sucks a lot cause that was a whole summer of part time work for those. Oh well, just home local & Campus PD will be useful. CoD was horrible when my brothers laptop got stolen last year.

28 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

WHY?

Would you take a set of new AP1 and sully them with old shafts?  

Just order them through your retailer from Titleist with midsize grips and the shafts that fit you...

I was asking because I saw a set of ap1s heads only on eBay selling for $239.99 and I was debating pulling the trigger. The bid expired so I'm kinda glad I held myself off. And besides, I sort of like the feel of these clubs and I'm only losing 5 yards or so. Maybe I'll just hold off a while.

With an old set of irons like that, it's risky to take the shafts out and try to install them somewhere else. The epoxy is old, and there could be some corrosion on the steel that makes it all kinda messy. I wouldn't bank on it going particularly well.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

36 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

I filed a claim but I have comprehensive so they'll only cover the Windows and the gps system. It kinda sucks a lot cause that was a whole summer of part time work for those. Oh well, just home local & Campus PD will be useful. CoD was horrible when my brothers laptop got stolen last year.

I was asking because I saw a set of ap1s heads only on eBay selling for $239.99 and I was debating pulling the trigger. The bid expired so I'm kinda glad I held myself off. And besides, I sort of like the feel of these clubs and I'm only losing 5 yards or so. Maybe I'll just hold off a while.

As a 12 hc and in college, I assume you have the time to improve your game -- you might want to hold off and look at the AP2 at least from 5-PW, and get hybrids and fairways below that threshold.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

50 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

I filed a claim but I have comprehensive so they'll only cover the Windows and the gps system.

In some cases, it could be covered under homeowner's insurance or renter's insurance.  Not trying to pry into family matters too much, but check to see if you're covered by your parents' policies.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

12 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

my car was broken into and my clubs, my laptop charger, and some other various things were stolen.

I suggest you call local pawn stores and ask if they have golf clubs? (Don't mention your looking for your stolen property)  If they have equipment, go over and see if your their your clubs. Wait at least a week. If they are yours, leave the store (step outside out of view), call police. Also, you'll need proof to show police. A receipt or a photo is best. Also, if your clubs are there, then there's a good chance your other property may be also. If none of the stores acquire them, call back in two weeks.

Thieves often unload their stolen items for quick cash.

Good luck.

• Upvote 2

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

6 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

I suggest you call local pawn stores and ask if they have golf clubs? (Don't mention your looking for your stolen property)  If they have equipment, go over and see if your their your clubs. Wait at least a week. If they are yours, leave the store (step outside out of view), call police. Also, you'll need proof to show police. A receipt or a photo is best. Also, if your clubs are there, then there's a good chance your other property may be also. If none of the stores acquire them, call back in two weeks.

Good luck.

I never thought of this, thanks!

2 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

As a 12 hc and in college, I assume you have the time to improve your game -- you might want to hold off and look at the AP2 at least from 5-PW, and get hybrids and fairways below that threshold.

Aren't the AP1s more forgiving? I hit them fine so I could try a less forgiving club.

Sorry for your loss.  People who break in and steal things suck.

Does your auto insurance include theft of personal belongings under the comprehensive section of your policy?  My in-laws had both their club sets stolen from their car after a Friday night league event.  Both sets were covered under the comprehensive section of their auto insurance.  Covered even though they were stolen from an open and unlocked classic Chevy my FIL drives.

Hope all ends well given the unfortunate incident.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Sorry you got ripped off.  Lot's of dishonest people out there. Won't likely be covered by vehicle insurance but should be covered under homeowners or renters policy as they are personal belongings. That's assuming they aren't always stored in the vehicle but you would only have them there as you were planning to play or practice so should be fine. Mine got ripped off last year and my homeowners covered it. I did have a fairly high deductible but my clubs weren't that old.  The clubs, along with raingear, gloves, balls, bag etc. were worth quite a bit so was worth claiming. Good luck.

1 hour ago, dave s said:

Sorry for your loss.  People who break in and steal things suck.

Does your auto insurance include theft of personal belongings under the comprehensive section of your policy?  My in-laws had both their club sets stolen from their car after a Friday night league event.  Both sets were covered under the comprehensive section of their auto insurance.  Covered even though they were stolen from an open and unlocked classic Chevy my FIL drives.

Hope all ends well given the unfortunate incident.

dave

No, unfortunately they weren't. I'm actually shocked that our insurance company even responded to my claim this fast.

I guess it doesn't really matter. Locked, unlocked. They're all targets.

10 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Sorry you got ripped off.  Lot's of dishonest people out there. Won't likely be covered by vehicle insurance but should be covered under homeowners or renters policy as they are personal belongings. That's assuming they aren't always stored in the vehicle but you would only have them there as you were planning to play or practice so should be fine. Mine got ripped off last year and my homeowners covered it. I did have a fairly high deductible but my clubs weren't that old.  The clubs, along with raingear, gloves, balls, bag etc. were worth quite a bit so was worth claiming. Good luck.

If they are on our Homeowners/Renters the deductible is more than the clubs are worth. I'm SOL it appears.

4 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

Aren't the AP1s more forgiving? I hit them fine so I could try a less forgiving club.

AP1 are more forgiving. But AP2's are also forgiving. Depends on how much time you have to devote to the game and your issues. If you are improving, you might be happier in the long run with AP2. You could use a 23 and 27 hybrid and go 7-PW at times (I do). There is nothing that says you need an entire set or can't skip a club, especially if 2 hybrids can serve for 3 irons, although if you are improving, I'd buy 5-PW and hybrids if you can do it. Depends on where your inconsistency with irons begins.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Sorry about what happened. That sucks . just wanted to say if your looking for new clubs. And you don't mind used  make sure you check callaway preowned. I just bought big Bertha irons and x2hot 3 wood. Great condition on the clubs and you know there not counterfeit. I saved about 40% off from new. They also sell other brands there .but have not tried any of them yet . good luck hope you can find some good deals.

9 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Good luck.

9 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

Might want to check out local craigslist listings as well.

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

19 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

AP1 are more forgiving. But AP2's are also forgiving. Depends on how much time you have to devote to the game and your issues. If you are improving, you might be happier in the long run with AP2. You could use a 23 and 27 hybrid and go 7-PW at times (I do). There is nothing that says you need an entire set or can't skip a club, especially if 2 hybrids can serve for 3 irons, although if you are improving, I'd buy 5-PW and hybrids if you can do it. Depends on where your inconsistency with irons begins.

Ah, I see what you're saying. Yeah I would love to improve and as soon as it gets warm I'm looking to spend a lot of time practice before I go back home with my parents. I'll have a few weeks in warm Arizona to practice before they move out here to live in my grandparents house with all of us. And depending where I go to school next year it should be warm end ugh year round to work on golf. I'd like to get as close to scratch as I can by the end of 2016. I think if I can accel at the rate I did in baseball and football I could definitely get close to scratch with golf. We'll see how I do though.

Note: This thread is 3000 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!