IGNORED

RIP Paul Kantner

Dave325
Note: This thread is 3008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just heard the sad news that Paul Kanter has passed away at the age of 74. Another one of the greats, the guitarist from the Jefferson Airplane. I still love to listen to the Airplane. Another one of my favs. Paul will be missed. RIP Paul!

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Slight correction, his name is Paul Kantner - 2 'n's.  And yes, the original Airplane is one of my favs.  I have the 2 CD greatest hits set 2400 Fulton Street, as well as Surrealistic Pillow.  

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

15 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

Slight correction, his name is Paul Kantner - 2 'n's.  And yes, the original Airplane is one of my favs.  I have the 2 CD greatest hits set 2400 Fulton Street, as well as Surrealistic Pillow.  

My bad.... typing too fast. My apologies to you, Paul and the TST community (Moderator - Please make the correction, if that's possible). Surrealistic Pillow is a fantastic album. I also love the Woodstock recordings. They had a great live show.... Bless Its Pointed Little Head.... Another great album done live back in the day.

Dave

Sigh. Another? I had not heard. When I was about 8  my Dad bought 'Jefferson Airplane Takes Off". I used to listen to it over and over. A lot more folksy kind of like the Byrds, pure 60's sound. They had quite a journey. they were on the leading edge of the hard psychedelic sound, and then morphed into elevator music as Jefferson Starship.

dak4n6

13 minutes ago, dak4n6 said:

Sigh. Another? I had not heard. When I was about 8  my Dad bought 'Jefferson Airplane Takes Off". I used to listen to it over and over. A lot more folksy kind of like the Byrds, pure 60's sound. They had quite a journey. they were on the leading edge of the hard psychedelic sound, and then morphed into elevator music as Jefferson Starship.

Ah yes, the Starship. I think the big difference in their sound around that time was some of the personnel changes, especially Paul adding Craig Chaquico with more jazz feel adding to the mix. I wasn't that big of a fan, though I did like there hit, Miracles. I pretty much followed Hot Tuna with Jorma Kaukonen after the Airplane. I still have a few of there albums on my iPod.

Dave

2 minutes ago, Dave325 said:

Ah yes, the Starship. I think the big difference in their sound around that time was some of the personnel changes, especially Paul adding Craig Chaquico with more jazz feel adding to the mix. I wasn't that big of a fan, though I did like there hit, Miracles. I pretty much followed Hot Tuna with Jorma Kaukonen after the Airplane. I still have a few of there albums on my iPod.

OMG! Jorma! When I was in college we would intake various substances and listen to Jorma. A number of us were musicians in one capacity or another, and we would just sit there after listening, and go 'F*ckin Jorma. Wow.' The only Jorma song I could come close to playing well was 'Hesitation Blues'.

dak4n6

42 minutes ago, dak4n6 said:

11 minutes ago, dak4n6 said:

OMG! Jorma! When I was in college we would intake various substances and listen to Jorma. A number of us were musicians in one capacity or another, and we would just sit there after listening, and go 'F*ckin Jorma. Wow.' The only Jorma song I could come close to playing well was 'Hesitation Blues'.

Yeah, Jorma is unreal.... I live in Ohio and have talked about trying to get over to his guitar workshop at the Fur Peace Ranch. I believe he's still got that going with Tommy Emmanuel and a few others.

Dave

5 minutes ago, Dave325 said:

Yeah, Jorma is unreal.... I live in Ohio and have talked about trying to get over to his guitar workshop at the Fur Peace Ranch. I believe he's still got that going with Tommy Emmanuel and a few others.

Go! When I was in HS, I went to a guitar workshop in NYC hosted by James Taylor. The talent there was amazing, and they talked about all these techniques, most of which I could not duplicate.But James gave a short concert, it was incredible.

dak4n6

Note: This thread is 3008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!