IGNORED

Anybody play golf without keeping score on a regular basis?

stealthhwk
Note: This thread is 2957 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I find that even if I am playing by myself its hard not to follow along in my head with my standing against par.  Some of us play golf for the thrill of the great shot or of playing a famous hole on a famous course; some of us play the game for the satisfaction of being consistent or of fashioning the best possible score given our abilities of the day; still others like the idea of "mano e mano" competition and can't stand being on a golf course without having some kind of game going.

To each his own - which is one of the ways in which golf offers something for everybody in terms of how they want to challenge or not challenge themselves.

I do it on occassions. No big deal. I'm usually by myself, trying different shots with different clubs. Sometimes I will play left handed, which is entertaining in a scary sort of way. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For me it depends on the situation. During the HC season, I almost always play the ball down and keep score unless there are mitigating circumstances, like rushing to the course after work, jumping out of my car and hitting, in which case I just play (although still I keep score in my head). During the off-season, I just keep score in my head sort of. However, no matter what time of year, if I'm playing in my skins group and playing matches, obviously I'm keeping score. I only post in season though...

dak4n6

Never.

I might just as well hit a large bucket of balls at the range...for a third the cost and a quarter the time.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 hour ago, stealthhwk said:

Wonder if not keeping score might help me enjoy the game more. Anyone avoid keeping score? What are your thoughts? 

Hey Stealth,

. Newbee here...saw you post and thought it was an interesting topic. To anwser your question, if you have no interest in improving your game then sure...go ahead and leave the scorecard alone. But if you care to improve your game then it is the ony metric a golfer has to measure how they are progressing with their game. However, I will admit that I do go out on the course and play practice rounds where i am playing 2, 3, 4 or more shots from the same lie when I am working on my game. I might try varying my clubs, or hitting knock down shots to tight areas, hit cuts fades, hit it low or high, or work on a whole host of other various shot-making type shots. All the PGA pros do the same. However,  if you are out there to just have a little fun and drink a few beers go for it. But if you really want to improve, it is an absolute must that you keep detailed records though. Just my 2 cents.

Best wishes,

The Boss

3 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

Wonder if not keeping score might help me enjoy the game more. Anyone avoid keeping score? What are your thoughts? 

I used to always keep score and write everything down, being the anal person I am. Howeve, I got serious this summer with learning the game and started playing off hours a lot with myself and got completely away from scoring, calling it practice rounds. I would drop two or three extra balls on the approach and play them out. Only now am I starting to get back to scoring... I don't write it down, just remember how many stroke over par. But since I feel like I am still learning, I don't let the scoring stress me out.

Dave

Since I've started introducing my son to the golf course, we go out late afternoons when it's quiet and play nine holes and I won't really keep score those times.

Other than that though, I always keep score.  I don't get out often enough to "waste" any rounds.

If I PLAY.............the intent is to keep score.  Of course I've been off the 'golf map' for awhile, but the only time I don't is when I run into traffic and skip holes around the course.   I plan to play tomorrow.....first time since October!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I always keep score, as well.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

10 hours ago, David in FL said:

Never.

I might just as well hit a large bucket of balls at the range...for a third the cost and a quarter the time.

You live in FL where you can always post a HC score. ? We can't after Nov 15. If I play alone after then, I may hit extra shots and practice on the course. I won't keep a score then. It is more fun to practice on the course than on the range. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

You live in FL where you can always post a HC score. ? We can't after Nov 15. If I play alone after then, I may hit extra shots and practice on the course. I won't keep a score then. It is more fun to practice on the course than on the range. 

Posting for handicap really doesn't enter into the equation for me. Even when I lived in areas that didn't post year round, I always kept score.  Even on the very rare occasions when I know I'm not going to post a score, I always keep it. That's the whole point of playing, for me.  

Regardless though, I don't think that the OP was talking about a "practice" round per se, but rather just playing and not keeping score as a way to somehow better enjoy the round itself.  Maybe no score feels better than a bad score, but then again, without keeping score, you could miss it when lightening strikes and one of those rare, career rounds sneaks up on you.  One of the great things about this game is standing on that first tee box thinking, "today could be the day"!  I wouldn't give that moment up for the world...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I know I've played practice rounds, and played two balls from time to time, but even if I don't write down my score, I pretty much always know about what I shoot.  When I'm practicing, I still mentally keep track of my first ball.  I'm not sure I could ever play a round of golf without being somewhat aware of my score.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I always keep score, but not necessarily an honest score.    The group I play with, we break a lot of rules, like 1 mulligan per 9 holes, moving ball out of divot holes, etc.   We're not competing with each other. 

Well, I did between July and August last year. I don't have a grass range nearby, so I'd go out on the course during the mid afternoon mid week when it was slow by myself and use the course as a driving range with grass. It would give me a chance to practice with different lies. And it allowed me to get in touch with why I took up the game in the first place. 

This year, with solo rounds not counting toward HC, I expect to do that more often since I was counting solo rounds. Any round that's a solo round now becomes a practice round, unless I pair up with someone for 9 or 13 holes, then I get to report the 9 hole part, or if 13, I'm supposed to take par + HC for the other 5 holes if I play by ROG on the 13 I'm paired. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

19 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

I always record my score. I also write down notes of what I did right as well as what I didn't do right so I can make corrections next time.  It lets me know whether or not I am showing signs of improvement. 

I really don't keep score anymore, though I may start soon.  The reason being I don't follow the rules of golf to the letter and before I play with anyone I let them know that.

This lets me enjoy being outside in a pretty park like sitting, not stress over how my round is going and really enjoy when I get a low score on a hole.

It is quite different from beating balls on the range and I do get that for some people measuring themselves against par and playing partners, fellow competitors, and/or opponents is part of the enjoyment of the game.

It's just when I look at the scorecard and see two or three snowmen on it, the enjoyment of the round goes away like a snowbird in Chicago in the fall.

Soon though I am going to keep a score just to see how I do, and after crying in my beer and kicking my truck, breaking my toe and having to lay off golf for a few months, I'll play again not keep score and have fun.

I don't keep score often, I have no reason to, I don't believe in the HC system and I know when I'm having a good round or not, it's all about the next hole for me, I do play by the rules though.

Edited by MrDC

Note: This thread is 2957 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!