IGNORED

Today's rule encounter

Abu3baid
Note: This thread is 3000 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

16 minutes ago, Rulesman said:

Apart fro the fact that your circles are not circles and you used the word closest instead of nearest, you are correct. ;-)

Edit. Of course the upper one is not 'possible' in your example.

But if the blue star had been exactly in line with the hole, you may (depending on stance) have had the unusual situation of two 'nearest' points.

Thank you!  Yeah, I meant nearest :). Now it's clear to me..

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, Dormie1360 said:

What program do you guys use to do these diagrams?  MS Paint?

Yeah, it was a bad attempt at a diagram by me.. :)

MS paint is the easiest for me to use.

Eyad

1 hour ago, Rulesman said:

Apart fro the fact that your circles are not circles and you used the word closest instead of nearest, you are correct. ;-)

Edit. Of course the upper one is not 'possible' in your example.

But if the blue star had been exactly in line with the hole, you may (depending on stance) have had the unusual situation of two 'nearest' points.

Yeah, I like how all of a sudden the circles turned into the orbit of Halley's Comet once it came to the NPR, haha. 

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

8 minutes ago, dkolo said:

Yeah, I like how all of a sudden the circles turned into the orbit of Halley's Comet once it came to the NPR, haha. 

I wanted to keep making the circles but it got tedious quickly.  :)

Eyad

I had a similar one come up where I had a perfectly playable lie, but a very bad angle. I had to chip out because a tree was between me and the green, and the was a danger of chipping into a bunker. But if I declared "unplayable lie" I could drop two club lengths no nearer the hole and be in the fairway with no tree interfering and have a clear shot at the hole. This was during a league competition. But my three competitors all ganged up and told me that I can't do that because my ball was perfectly playable and on short grass, and that I had to chip it out. I cited rule 28 and had a rule book in my bag, one of them said "just do it, you're holding up play." Wow. I took the unplayable, chipped on and tapped in for par.

Know your rules. Don't be bullied by people who don't know them.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

5 hours ago, Abu3baid said:

Thank you for the clarification.. That makes sense.. So, accordingly the two points I marked in red would be the two possible spots, and he would be forced to choose the one below because it is the closest point of relief?  Is that right?

npr.png.8ea44fda08541481d72f82a6348efc22

Remember that when you're taking relief from a cart path you have to take full relief, therefore it's not going to be either of those dots, it's going to be only one of them.  If he's right handed it's going to be the bottom one and if he's left handed the top since in those cases you won't also have to get clear enough from the path to take your stance.

6 hours ago, Abu3baid said:

he would be forced to choose the one below because it is the closest point of relief?  Is that right?

Yes to the lower star, the upper star does look closest to where the ball is positioned on the cart path in your drawing.

Keep in mind two factors. Closet point of relief can be any distance, but it's exactly always the point of where the relief is determined. Then a player has one club length which they must drop within that point.(note one club on free relief situation) The other factor, is even if a player must drop behind a tree or next to a bush, or even in some situations in a large scrub, obstacles are in play and the player does not get relief from them if they are the closest point which a player must drop. It's rare, but often it may be CPR.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

56 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Yes to the lower star, the upper star does look closest to where the ball is positioned on the cart path in your drawing.

Keep in mind two factors. Closet point of relief can be any distance, but it's exactly always the point of where the relief is determined. Then a player has one club length which they must drop within that point.(note one club on free relief situation) The other factor, is even if a player must drop behind a tree or next to a bush, or even in some situations in a large scrub, obstacles are in play and the player does not get relief from them if they are the closest point which a player must drop. It's rare, but often it may be CPR.

Essentially you are correct, but let's keep the terminology consistent with the rule book.  It's not "closest", it's "nearest point of relief".

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

On 1/30/2016 at 3:42 PM, DrvFrShow said:

I had to chip out because a tree was between me and the green, and the was a danger of chipping into a bunker. But if I declared "unplayable lie" I could drop two club lengths no nearer the hole and be in the fairway with no tree interfering and have a clear shot at the hole.

Good on you for knowing your options and standing your ground. But I am curious: What sort of situation were you in that moving 2 club lengths laterally made more sense than chipping or putting in one direction of another for greater relief from the tree or to get closer to the hole?

2 hours ago, fr0sty said:

Good on you for knowing your options and standing your ground. But I am curious: What sort of situation were you in that moving 2 club lengths laterally made more sense than chipping or putting in one direction of another for greater relief from the tree or to get closer to the hole?

I couldn't advance the ball from my original position. The fairway was firm and sloping away from me, and I didn't want to take a chance of skulling or overstriking the ball. There was the factor of the way the green sloped as well. The two club lengths gave me a perfect line. If I'd hit the ball a little firmer I might have holed out for a birdie.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 3000 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!