IGNORED

Vintage 1 wood... worth anything?

Note: This thread is 2996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was roaming around a used golf store when I found a vintage 1 Wood(Driver) that was in almost perfect condition so I bought it without question. Is it worth anything?

The Shaft is Shakespeare and the head only has a letter H surrounded by an icy branch or something and it says "Made in U.S.A." 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Almost none of the old clubs are worth anything. You'd think there would be some market for collectors but only the truly ancient stuff (pre-1900) seems to have any value. Well, unless you could prove it belonged to someone famous or something like that.

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

(edited)
13 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

Almost none of the old clubs are worth anything. You'd think there would be some market for collectors but only the truly ancient stuff (pre-1900) seems to have any value. Well, unless you could prove it belonged to someone famous or something like that.

Ah, I'm a bit of a collector myself. Nothing serious, just a fan of the old irons and woods. Thanks!

Any idea what brand it is?

Edited by freshmanUTA

39 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

Ah, I'm a bit of a collector myself. Nothing serious, just a fan of the old irons and woods. Thanks!

Any idea what brand it is?

No idea. Could be from any of the many small local brands that died out. The alignment aid looks to be a copy of what I've seen on  Lauramite woods.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

The head is laminated maple, I can't tell much about the brand; it would have likely been made in the 1970's. The shaft is by Shakespear, one of the pioneers, actually the pioneer, in graphite shafts. The club is worth around $5 +/-. The only laminates that really interest me are PINGs, preferring persimmon in everything else. I have around 20 or so persimmon woods that I acquired in the last 3-4 years and didn't pay more than $10 for any of them. I buy these clubs to play, and if I saw something I really wanted I might pay more, but prefer to stay at $10 or under, simply because you can buy most for that. Some fairly common MacGregors from the 60's and early 70's will bring  more, but not the repros from the late 70's early 80's. I am talking here about common clubs. You will see some on certain websites that have a much higher asking price, but these are usually less common clubs, pristine examples, or something distinguishing that makes them worth more. Sometimes there is just a higher asking price and the club really isn't special.

Truly  collectible clubs are a different matter altogether, and I really don't have experience in that.

Most real hickory shafted clubs have a little more value, and some are quite valuable, both as collectibles and for the growing hickory players market. A lot of these folks prefer to take old  clubs and restore them, as opposed to paying $175 per iron and $250 per wood for new approved hickory clubs.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 2996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!