IGNORED

Alternatives to Mizuno JPX 850 irons?

Philman
Note: This thread is 2999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

(Skip to final paragraph for main topic.)

So I'm new to golf, but not completely. I do have some experience at the range and used to play about 4 times a year whilst in high school, I don't have an official handicap either. Since the end of last year I have been very interested in golf and enjoy the sport way more than I used to in the past. Going to the range and hitting a few balls feels relaxing and enjoyable thus I want to get more into the sport.

Now, gear...I went for a club fitting (irons) at my local golf shop (Cape Town) where we tested a few brands, shafts ect.
He fitted me with a club and changed the shaft and there we were, something that I could hit easily and felt great/consistent.
The club was a Mizuno JPX 850 with a Dynamic Gold X100 shaft, it felt very good.
Avg. stats with the club: 6 iron, club head speed 100mph, ball speed 133mph back spin ~5000rpm.

So these Mizunos felt great and the club fitter advised me that I have a good swing and should get a set of clubs that would suit a wide variety of handicaps as I might improve quick.

I would like some suggestions of cheaper alternative clubs to the Mizuno JPX 850 irons which cost R10 000.00, I'm on a budget of R6 000.00 so something 60% of their value but with the same feel would be perfect! Thank you in advance :)

Moderator, please delete my double post, the lag was strong

There are plenty of options that are in the JPX 850 category, you just have to go a few releases back to get the price you want. PING G25/30, Callaway X2 Hot, TaylorMade SpeedBlades, heck you could even go with the JPX 800's.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Ping G25 set is almost double that of the Mizuno JPX 850! I can't seem to find the Callaway X2 Hot set but I could find the "X" set.

Callaway X @ R6k 
Cleveland 558 Altitude @ R5.5k 
TaylorMade Speed Blade @ R7k
Nike Slingshot 6 @ R6k
Titleist 741 AP1 @ R7k

So I phoned the golf store and spoke to the pro there, he suggested that I look at some Titleist sets that would suit my budget. How similar would the above mentioned be to the Mizuno JPX 850. (obviously not on par as they are half the price but maybe from a prize/performance viewpoint?)

Sorry if I sound like a total and utter noob, could just imagine if someone asked me to suggest a cheaper graphics card that would have the same performance as a higher tier...impossible.

2 hours ago, Philman said:

So I phoned the golf store and spoke to the pro there, he suggested that I look at some Titleist sets that would suit my budget. How similar would the above mentioned be to the Mizuno JPX 850. (obviously not on par as they are half the price but maybe from a prize/performance viewpoint?)

The Titleist 712 AP1 and 714 AP1 are good clubs but not in the same forgiveness category as the JPX 850 or the other clubs mentioned.

Here are the Callaway X2 Hot irons

http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/golf-clubs/iron-sets/irons-2014-x2-hot.html

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

You can probably also find the JPX's used.  Or a previous generation of them used.

Used clubs are a great deal as long as you don't get counterfeits

Bill - 

1 hour ago, rehmwa said:

You can probably also find the JPX's used.  Or a previous generation of them used.

Used clubs are a great deal as long as you don't get counterfeits

As long as you get them at a reputable dealer such as Roger Dunn in So. Cal. it shouldn't be a problem.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I have three friends that have moved to the JPX's.  One guy is scratch (went from the MP59's).

I hit them a little too high, but contact definitely is easier.  I tried them before and they didn't feel good one bit.  But lately, I've hit the other guy's clubs and they are much better than I remember.  When they aren't pure, they just feel like a slightly fat shot, but the ball still gets up ok.  When pure, they feel nearly as good as my MP15s

Bill - 

I was all set to get a set of Mizuno JPX850 forged. Then I hit the Callaway Apex and found a very similar feel but a little tighter groups (for me). The Callaway's were about $100 more here in Canada but may be less where you are, especially since they released a new Apex iron since.  Whatever you buy I think you will still need to hit them anyway before deciding.

Hope Im not too late to this party but just had to chime in. Everybody is gonna laugh me outta here but I hit the 850s and chose a 200 dollar set from dicks sporting goods instead. The 850s were my second favorite choice but I went with a set of Wilson Reflex irons. They were 5-7 yards longer, more forgiving, and the slightly thinner sole added playabiltiy from tighter lies. Had my Wilsons over a year now and they are by far my favorite set ever! YMMV but u owe it to yourself to check em out if theres a Dicks Sporting goods near u. Hope u find the perfect sticks without breaking the bank. :)

Note: This thread is 2999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!