IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge (February 2016)

Dave325
Note: This thread is 2977 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Didn't see a Feb challenge, so thought I'd add to this one. Worked a bit more on the driver, focus on shoulder/hip turn and earlier wrist hinge. Marked the balls each time to note where I was hitting the clubface. 

I received back my Evolvr analysis so took some time to review it. Also, worked on the wrist hinge and shoulder turn drill that Brian gave me. Practice hits indoor with the 7iron and outside with the 8iron. 

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to the February Practice Challenge for 2016! The rules are the same as the last several months:

• Post every day during the month above.
  • No back-dating or pre-dating posts or practice sessions.

Detail what you did for at least five minutes of practice (indoors or out, with or without golf balls, etc.). Some of you have been slacking on this - give details.

Enjoy and practice hard!

Sorry for the day late posting.

Did mirror work yesterday before my workout. Focused on gradual acceleration from A4 to A7 letting the hands drop to A5 before really starting to accelerate.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Did mirror work yesterday focusing on a centered pivot. Also still watching the length of my backswing. Practiced putting at home for a half hour or so. Did the quarters drill and checked my setup in the mirror.

Technically, we all missed a day for the challenge part.

Shoulder turn drills on the range, but it was so cold I couldn't practice it right so I abandoned 1.5 large buckets.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• iacas pinned this topic

Put the net in the backyard and filmed my practice. It's Feb 2 and there is no snow on the ground! ?

Scott

My Swing Thread

Went to the range this afternoon. Worked on my priority peice which is my hands moving more out than down from A4 to A5. I worked on that for the first half of the bucket and the second half was spent working on my pitching technique with my 56*

I missed Monday's posting. Both days hit balls in the garage about 45 min. I've been working on making better contact. I'm starting with half swings and slowly working to full swings. Most of my work is making a good turn into my back foot and hitting the ball with my hands ahead of the club

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Lihu said:

Technically, we all missed a day for the challenge part.

I'm giving you all a freebie this month. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

No miss here... Just posted to last month's posting. No biggies. Just trying to stay on task. Did a couple sessions in the  backyard again with the driver and 8-iron. After reviewing my Evolvr analysis again... Worked on the shoulder turn drill and trying to bring my hands more across my body on the follow through (I am swinging way out to the right). I guess I developed that swing practice by trying to swing inside to out and avoid the OTT swing. Tried to get this feel with both the driver and the iron play. It's raining now, so going to have to continue indoors. 

Dave

Going to get back on the daily practice train.  I've got my first tournament this weekend, so I have stopped filming my swing for the week and am focusing on getting the most out of my current game. 

Yesterday I went to the practice green on my lunch and worked on chipping from various lies to different targets.  After work, I went and hit a bucket of balls.  I had to fight the urge to work on my most recent evolvr lesson.

Today I went back to the practice green on my lunch and worked on both short putts (4-8' range), and also lag putting (30'-50' range).  With the latter, my goal was to not three putt.

Hit some balls on the course. Got a few good drives when I grouped up with a couple. Other than that my first day back out was pretty much what I expected. Triples followed by one birdie and more bad golf after that. Not so sure I wouldn't do so bad on the real Norman course after all. My short game really stinks. Got rusty, I guess?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Played 18 holes today in what I would call "one club cold weather". Wind chill was in the high 30s, low 40s. Extra clothing was needed. Shot a tough 83 with 7 pars and 11 bogies. 6 of those 11 bogies were one putts. Got everything I could out of that round. 

Saturday it was 75F, but Sunday night we had snow on the low hills around us. Thought I was in Texas. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Went to the range today and hit 90 balls. Focused solely on slow swings involving my priority peice which is my hands moving more out from A4 to A5.  I can feel it getting better and my contact has improved also. 

Mirror work at the gym. Worked on backswing and transition to A5. I noticed in my practice yesterday that I was dipping my head a bit from A4 to 6, which was a problem I had a couple years back. It's an easy fix.

Secondly, my A5 position with my hands further out has helped lay the shaft down more at A5. I've made progress on that since the fall. I wasn't consciously doing it, so that is good news.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Working on the hip turn and completing my shoulder turn.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Had a really fun practice session today. A friend met me at the practice green and we played a game of horse. We started with a chip or pitch and then competed to get down in the least amount of strokes. Winner picked the next shot. He is a far better golfer than I, and he beat me by one letter.

We both intentionally chose shots that were difficult (e.g. being short sides in the rough). Also, needing to make a 3 footer to halve a hole has a lot more pressure than just lining up putt after putt to the same cup. I think this will translate well to the golf course.

Worked on the 8-iron and 6-iron in the yard today with focus on the hip turn and bringing the arms more across the body on the follow-through (I was doing a more inside-to-out swing.... I believe I started this practice awhile back, trying to eliminate an excessive fade/slice. Also, worked a bit on the takeaway focus of hip/shoulder turn combined with an early wrist hinge. Took some videos and posted them here....

I also worked a bit with the driver, but excessive winds here kept blowing the balls off the tee (have to use plastic balls considering the size of my yard). Finished up the day with some indoor work on the 7-iron 1/2 swing (specifically the new takeaway feel). Ended with a weight, kettlebell workout and 10 rounds of boxing on the heavy bag. Its been a good day.... though the new feels are taking a bit getting used to. I now have the Analyzr, so going to spend a little quiet time reviewing my swing videos tonight. Any comments or suggestion are always appreciated.

Dave

Did a second round with my winter clubs on the shorter 6000 yard course. Played the back 12, but skipped right to the 10th hole to get ahead of everyone else.

Played okay with only one 3 putt on a tough par 3. Didn't score with GG because I forgot my phone in the car and the round was free for only another 3 minutes. So, I went without my trusty GG. My drives were still pretty decent although in the cold weather were a lot shorter than yesterday afternoon, and I was very happy with my 2 sand saves. Yesterday's score was not all that great, but entered into GHIN. I didn't have a GG record of today's 9 holes so I didn't bother to enter into GHIN. Plus, there was no one to verify my score anyway. The golfer I caught on the 10th hole drove ahead and wanted to play by himself I guess?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2977 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!