IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge (February 2016)

Dave325
Note: This thread is 2975 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It was snowing like crazy today so didnt go to the range. I instead spent some time in front of the mirror working on my downswing pivot. Also worked on my putting on my indoor mat. I used a couple drills working on my stroke.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Worked indoor with the 7 and 8 iron practicing the backswing and rotation and downswing as mentioned in the last few posts. Developing my own drill with a grip to simulate the swing movement. It appears to easier to get the feel for the regular swing. Starting to practice warm-up downswings with only the left hand focusing on the hip weight shift, shoulder turn and swinging down and around (left arm only). Kind of hard to explain. I may post it after I run it by my Evolvr coach... Just trying to fasttrack some of priority items that he has been having me focus on.

Dave

Continued working on extensor action, primarily the drill my instructor gave me where I act as if my lead arm is limp, and my right arm is pulling it to the top of the backswing.

Mirror work at the gym before my workout. Focused mostly on hands further out at A5 and the pivot from A6 to A8. All slower mapping type movements.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Did some range work with slowing the back swing even more. Going to another range to drop off my daughter's clubs. Will probably hit some balls there as well.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Yoga for golfers routine, medicine ball routine and backswing drill. Last night did session #4 of 6 with club pro. Focus of lessons was maintaining a stable foundation. We went over the routines I've been doing and he recommended continuing these while watching mirror FO to keep foundation stable. 

Under construction, signature and game.

Met with my instructor today. The lesson was spent on my downswing pivot with the big priority of regaining my forward flexion in my transition/downswing. I really learned alot today and I have some good drills and checkpoints to work on to help me with this.

Spent quite a bit of time working the shoulder/hip turn drill and divided into four parts:

1. Shoulder turn with shaft across shoulders (feel: right shoulder blade moving to the left)

2. Same as #1 add hip rotation and weight shift keeping a steady head (feel: downswing feel left shoulder blade moving to the right)

3. Use club: pull left rust with the right on the backswing. Downswing and shift swing with left arm only... Keeping right elbow inward. (Feel: swing with left arm and hip). This one helps to get the feel of swinging across the body rather than out to left as much as I have been.

4. Put it together with a full swing with ball.

Made a video of the drill and reviewed it. Found a couple areas where the rotation needs to change. More work on this tomorrow.

Really cold here today, so divided practice between the garage and inside with the 1/2 swing. Also did weights, kettlebells and boxing for the aerobic exercise.

Dave

Was able to get out to the range after work tonight. The extensor action drill I've been working appears to be helping me get the club laid off at A4, which has been the priority piece in my lessons. I uploaded new videos to evolvr, so I'm hoping my instructor thinks I'm finally starting to get it right.

10 hours ago, Lihu said:

Did some range work with slowing the back swing even more. Going to another range to drop off my daughter's clubs. Will probably hit some balls there as well.

Got 9 holes in at my home course. Played 4 then searched around for a free spot and ended up playing 5-9 after all. Played one hole on the second course, hit into someone because the fairways are really bouncy today. I "tagged" my driver but actually used 3W the entire round. Just too lazy to edit my GG round. In any case, 3W was long enough to play comfortably. My driver head is loose again. Getting it fixed. Playing 3W in the meantime.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

This is the great thread and I would like to participate even though I am starting up mid-month. 

I went to the driving range today, and worked on weakening my hands and arms, particularly at the transition.   If I take a nice relaxed swing with good rhythm and weak hands and arms, I get much better lag, the club gets more on plane, and I get a lot more power.   The club swings itself.   If my hands tighten in the downswing, I tend to have an early release, cast the club, or hit the ball fat.

I also went to the putting green, about 50 putts of all lengths, chipped at the chipping green, just a little mindless chipping, working on making good contact and again, working on a relaxed stroke. 

13 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

This is the great thread and I would like to participate even though I am starting up mid-month. 

I went to the driving range today, and worked on weakening my hands and arms, particularly at the transition.   If I take a nice relaxed swing with good rhythm and weak hands and arms, I get much better lag, the club gets more on plane, and I get a lot more power.   The club swings itself.   If my hands tighten in the downswing, I tend to have an early release, cast the club, or hit the ball fat.

I also went to the putting green, about 50 putts of all lengths, chipped at the chipping green, just a little mindless chipping, working on making good contact and again, working on a relaxed stroke. 

No worries. Keep it up as much as you can. 

Mirror work at the gym before my workout. Focused again on getting the hands out more from A4 to 5 and then the pivot from 6 to 8.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Backswing drills.

Also doing a few "anti-chunk" drills. Basically, take a divot then offset my position relative to the ball accordingly. Hit a few duffs on the course yesterday. Dumped one iron tee shot into the water, skipped out and landed 10 yards short of the green. I'd really rather not discuss the other ones. . . :-P

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Worked on my downswing at the range today. Im trying to regain my forward flexion on the downswing. I also checked on my posture and setup position in my mirror at home. I try and keep an eye on that stuff because I tend to get sloppy.

Snow and the polar vortex shifted all practice indoors. Worked on the 7 and 8 iron takeaway and follow through as I have been this past week. It seems as the hip rotation on follow through is coming together much better, so I am encouraged by the progress using my new drill.

Dave

5 hours ago, Lihu said:

Backswing drills.

Also doing a few "anti-chunk" drills. Basically, take a divot then offset my position relative to the ball accordingly. Hit a few duffs on the course yesterday. Dumped one iron tee shot into the water, skipped out and landed 10 yards short of the green. I'd really rather not discuss the other ones. . . :-P

Hit on a mat, not ideal as I wanted to do divot detection. Focused on back swing and was able to hit up to 5i with reasonable results.

4i and 3i (MP-32) were pretty bad low flying bullets that landed 150-170 yards away with who knows how much roll? Lots of work to do. Not likely to use the 3i and 4i on the course. Probably going to take them out and put in another hybrid and wedge.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Didn't have much time after work today. I hit about half a bucket of balls, focusing on extensor action and keeping the shaft laid off at the top.

Note: This thread is 2975 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!