IGNORED

2016 Waste Management Phoenix Open Discussion

Club Rat
Note: This thread is 2989 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

16 hours ago, rolopolo said:

suppose the company who builds and provides the stands needs their capital to work for them and make money from other places that need stands during the year, too. 

Actually, they mentioned today that it's an environmental requirement imposed by the government; local, state or federal, they weren't sure.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, Gunther said:

Actually, they mentioned today that it's an environmental requirement imposed by the government; local, state or federal, they weren't sure.

They also said it's in the lease.   And that tearing down and putting back up the stands creates a lot of capital.  

8 hours ago, mvmac said:

I noticed that and said to myself "I don't remember those being there when Erik and I played there". Thought I was going nuts ;-)

BTW it really funny that the commentators were calling 16 one of the most unique holes in golf. Maybe it is this week with the fans but 51 weeks out of the year it's basically a "nothing" hole.

It's a unique experience for sure.  There's more to it than the shape of the hole.  You can't separate the two experiences: golf architecture and crowd volume.  

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

• Administrator
11 hours ago, mvmac said:

BTW it really funny that the commentators were calling 16 one of the most unique holes in golf. Maybe it is this week with the fans but 51 weeks out of the year it's basically a "nothing" hole.

3 hours ago, pumaAttack said:

It's a unique experience for sure.  There's more to it than the shape of the hole.  You can't separate the two experiences: golf architecture and crowd volume.  

I think it's easily possible to separate the golf architecture from the crowd, the stands, etc. As a golf hole, there are 30+ better par threes in Erie alone. It's not even the best par three on the course - it may even be the worst (#4 is no great hole either).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

26 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think it's easily possible to separate the golf architecture from the crowd, the stands, etc. As a golf hole, there are 30+ better par threes in Erie alone. It's not even the best par three on the course - it may even be the worst (#4 is no great hole either).

No, you aren't playing those holes with that crowd dynamic.  

Nobody is saying the hole is unique.  It's the atmosphere around the hole they are commenting on. 

Tony  

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, pumaAttack said:

No, you aren't playing those holes with that crowd dynamic.  

Nobody is saying the hole is unique.  It's the atmosphere around the hole they are commenting on. 

I'm not going to get into it with you given your history of "persistence," but you said "you can't separate the golf architecture and crowd volume."

I say that, yes, you can. The hole is completely boring from a "golf architecture" standpoint. The only thing that makes it a stand-out hole at all is completely unrelated to golf - it's the crowd, the noise, the stands.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

I'm not going to get into it with you given your history of "persistence," but you said "you can't separate the golf architecture and crowd volume."

I say that, yes, you can. The hole is completely boring from a "golf architecture" standpoint. The only thing that makes it a stand-out hole at all is completely unrelated to golf - it's the crowd, the noise, the stands.

Exactly.  And that's what makes it unique and special.  

It's the whole package that matters. 

Tony  

Rickie somehow hit a 358 yard drive on 17. Too bad that left the door open wide open for everybody else.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

It's a playoff. Come on Hideki!!! Get me those fantasy points!!!

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

It's a playoff. Come on Hideki!!! Get me those fantasy points!!!

Not a smart play by Rickie off #17 tee. Driver brought too many dark greys into play. He didn't need birdie.

3 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

His pace of play is Painful to watch.

Fowler is one the fastest on tour, anyone is going to look slower than usual playing alongside him.

Where they let Rickie take that drop from is some BS. He should've been further back.

EDIT: Doesn't matter he missed the putt anyway. Congrats Hideki!!

44 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

Fowler is one the fastest on tour, anyone is going to look slower than usual playing alongside him.

Yeah, it's an optical illusion. :whistle:

He should be on the clock every shot of every round. It's ridiculous. 

Hideki has a bit of the Kevin Na's in him. Just pull the damn trigger already. I bet he stands over the ball for 30 seconds on every shot. Terrible habit.

Fowler really blew it with missed putt on 16 and the water on 17. I mean he did get ridiculously unlucky with that hard bounce, but driver doesn't seem like the club to play there unless you play it right.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 2989 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!