IGNORED

Upper arms and body in downswing.

skyou
Note: This thread is 5992 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm having problems on my swing.
Have a tendency to swing with my arm not using my upper body.
I were taught I should stick my right upper arm(right hander) from elbow to shoulder with my side body on downswing until the impact.
Is it right?
Is there any drill for this, if it's right?
Thanks.

I'm not sure of the correct answer at this time. I'm learning the golf swing from the ground up at Golftec and am not yet working on the downswing portion. You can go to this web site with fantastic video tips. Click here .

best of luck,

Mark

I highly recommend Steve Bishop's videos on his website here .
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

In so far as I know (about as far as I could throw a golf ball with respect to haw far Tiger could drive the same ball) this is correct.

If you ever see any pictures of the great ball strikers, such as Hogan, you will see that his right arm is really close to his torso.

Vijay Singh also practices a drill, which I think is really great. Take a spare golve and clamp it between your right arm and your torso (in your armpit) and don't let it drop until after impact.

Hope this helps.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

Thanks for the help.
When I started to learn the swing, I were taught to put my upper arm against the side of body on back swing(the top of it) and keep it that way until the impact. Well, it's not a pretty form, doesn't look like the players. I got away from it, and forgot and didn't pay attention to keep the arm close to my body.
The result was a disaster for few month, till I realized what's going on. Lost 50 yards on driving and every shot was going far right. Of course there should be many other defacts involved. But the one thing must be the main reason.
Now trying to keep my arm to the body as close as possible, but the bad habit is hard to beat.
Read quite few of swing tips and stuff, but didn't see this point is stressed. So kind of unsure how close I should keep the arm with body, glue it or just keep close is enough.

Once the club starts down in the downswing the elbow should be right on your side or close to it. However there is a bit of room for personal preference in the backswing. In general, the flatter your swing, the closer your arm will stay to your body. For comparison, check out your examples (Hogan or Singh vs Nicklaus or Montgomerie). By keeping your arm close in the backswing you lose width in your swing which can limit your distance potential, but it may be more accurate. Long story short, which ever way you go, be consistent with it.

Joe McNulty

5SK™ Director of Instruction, Cape Cod, MA

Driver - D3 9.5

3-Wood - SQ 15

Hybrid - 17 Adams

4-PW - 714 AP2

50, 56 & 60 - Vokeys

Putter - Scotty

Ball - Pro V1x

Skyou,

I want you and everybody who focuses on they're right arm connection to listen to this; Focus on keep your upper left side connected and the right will automatically do what it should do. Forcing the right arm close to the body causes problems with your release and a too flat swing plane. Next time you go to the range try this: At address, assuming you're a righty, feel that your upper left arm is connected to your outer left pec (chest) and then turn your body back and through while feeling this connection with your upper left side. Your swing will feel shorter and tighter so start with a short iron and make 3/4 swings. When you get your arms and body swinging together correctly you will feel effortless power and more consistency with your shots. Also, notice how your right arm automatically moves correctly. Let me know if that works.

If you would like more info on a simple swing I'm teaching my students right now visit http://golfswingconnection.com

Alan Hipps

IF you want to connect the arms with the body in a swing a friend showed me this simple drill.

I put my feet together and swing my driver. If you only swing with your arms it will feel ackward and will soon begin to connect the arms motion with the turning of the hips

the back of your shoulders should be facing the target.

Good luck, I am sure you will figure it out soon.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Thanks.
I'll try both.
I'm trying to keep both arms close to my body on turning.
It seems my head knows this, but my body betrays me when I hit the ball.;-p
Another thing is that I'm trying to keep an eye on the club head pass, and it seems it goes through pretty straight line on hitting area, not inside out. I'm guessing I'm releasing my wrist cocking too early.

another drill that might help syncronize the arms with the hips in the golf swing is to place the driver behind your back and under both your arms and swing back and through like your normal golf swing.

a full back swing will have the back of your shoulders facing the target

your feet should be about shoulder width and her head should stay behind the golf ball that you placed on the ground.

This drill will help match your arms and hips in the full swing.

once you practice this drill several times with the driver behind your back then you can try swing a wedge and see if you have syncronized your arms and hips in the golf swing.

while you are doing the above drills you can also work on the tempo of your swing by the speed of your back swing and the follow through.

also, you can work on the transition of your back swing and your forward swing.

Hope this will help, excuse me I am going to practice this myself.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Note: This thread is 5992 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!