IGNORED

High School Golf

LeFrenchDogge
Note: This thread is 2956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would recommend you play a few rounds of golf before you try out.. If any of your friends play see if they can give you an intense training session or sessions to go over rules, ect.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, LeFrenchDogge said:

Hello, I am a freshman in high school and I'm going to tryout for JV. I've never played golf before and I was wondering if anyone had any pointers?

welcome to the Sandtrap!  theres tons of great threads here on all aspects of the game.

you say youve NEVER played golf before?  are you sure you want to play?  i would start by approaching the coach and telling him of your situation.

Colin P.

Just now, colin007 said:

welcome to the Sandtrap!  theres tons of great threads here on all aspects of the game.

you say youve NEVER played golf before?  are you sure you want to play?  i would start by approaching the coach and telling him of your situation.

Playing golf is something I've always wanted to do, but I've never had a chance to try it, I'll talk to the coach today.

Welcome to TST!!

I agree with Colin.  Maybe you should try it first to see if you even like it?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Practice, practice, and more practice! Good luck!

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

if you live close to a public course you can probably go in the evening and use the putting green and chipping area for free.. I would practice ALOT on that.. If you play tennis.. the relationship of the hands is related in that as  you keep the racket square, both hands need to square the face at impact. Good luck I played in HS many many years ago.. and it was fun and a great experience.

I have coached our varsity golf team for 8 years and what I have found works well for those starting out is for them to go out and play with their friends on the team. Star that way, having some fun and getting some experience. If you go out a couple of times and enjoy it, talk to your coach so you can get lessons. It's easy to break a bad habit from a couple rounds of golf but if you go any longer it is harder to unlearn a bad habit that has been ingrained then to learn a new skill the right way.

I played one year on the high school team. It was very competitive with around 120 guys vying for 9 spots. Start playing golf now and try out for the team next year or the year after when you have had a chance to play for awhile.  Don't put extra pressure on your play by starting out in competition.

1 hour ago, ppine said:

I played one year on the high school team. It was very competitive with around 120 guys vying for 9 spots. Start playing golf now and try out for the team next year or the year after when you have had a chance to play for awhile.  Don't put extra pressure on your play by starting out in competition.

Dsagree. If the team is in need of bodies and keep him around I don't see the downside. He'll get some free golf and play with some better young golfers he could learn from. Nothing teaches you how to score well faster than competition.

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

On 2/5/2016 at 9:26 AM, LeFrenchDogge said:

Playing golf is something I've always wanted to do, but I've never had a chance to try it, I'll talk to the coach today.

Taking up a sport for the first time by trying out for the team?  Sounds screwy to me.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

On 2/5/2016 at 11:08 AM, LeFrenchDogge said:

Hello, I am a freshman in high school ...I was wondering if anyone had any pointers?

Spend more time studying and less time surfing the web.

Brian Kuehn

Relax guys. 

At certain high schools they need every warm body they can get to round out a golf team. Maybe that's the case here. The coach will (or did) tell him what he needs to know.

In any event, all the typical things you tell beginners would apply here. @LeFrenchDogge, search the treads for advice to beginners and you'll find some good stuff.

The quickest way to wreck a golf career is put kids in tournaments before they have the skills and confidence to compete. That is what happened to me as a kid.  You have to earn the right to be a competitor.

Edited by ppine

14 minutes ago, ppine said:

The quickest way to wreck a golf career is put kids in tournaments before they have the skills and confidence to compete. That is what happened to me as a kid.  You have to earn the right to be a competitor.

My son's team*** cuts kids who can't play, but if they show some potential they are on the team and training with everyone else. The ones that play well enough get to compete. They have competitions weekly to qualify the ones who can play and the ones who don't.

***I think my daughter's coed team is like that as well. Haven't really seen it in action yet.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

17 minutes ago, ppine said:

Depends on the type of person you are I guess. I played in some junior tournaments (as an individual no less) when I was just starting out and still struggling to break 100. Finishing at the bottom of the pack every time only encouraged me to get better fast. Was breaking eighty regularly in two years and won the county tournament my senior year.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Maybe some people have more ability and confidence as kids. They need to get motivated by playing against others.  Dropping your handicap by 20 strokes in two years is phenomenal.  Most people can't do that no matter how hard they work at it. I found that playing in schoolboy tournaments and one year on the high school team were not helpful at all. They both torpedoed my confidence.

1 hour ago, ppine said:

Maybe some people have more ability and confidence as kids. They need to get motivated by playing against others.  Dropping your handicap by 20 strokes in two years is phenomenal.  Most people can't do that no matter how hard they work at it. I found that playing in schoolboy tournaments and one year on the high school team were not helpful at all. They both torpedoed my confidence.

It's different for different people. My son gained confidence playing competitively. He's played 2 years so far and is enjoying it. Although, he did mention that he's backing off the competitiveness a bit this year and probably next year because his classes are so much harder. He enjoys academic competition just as much as in golf.

To the OP, if anything just do your best, play your best and compete. Golf teaches you to compete in all aspects of life in a healthy way. If you know and follow the rules of golf, and compete against others doing the same thing it really brings out the best in you. Even if you don't get on the team, you can still play and compete.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 2956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!