IGNORED

Injury Question

baller7345
Note: This thread is 2963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay, so this isn't exactly something recent.  In fact its something I did in August, that seems like it just doesn't want to heal completely.

The injury in question occurred on my downswing on August 7th, it felt as those I pulled every muscle from underneath my arm pit to the bottom of my ribs.  I gingerly tried a few swings after that and why it was tender I guess endorphins got me through the rest of the round (2 holes).  I probably should have taken a few weeks off to let everything heal after this, but seeing how I had lost 70lbs over the course of 4 months and would go onto lose 130+ lbs by October (mostly through golf) I was kind of blinded by the motivation to keep pushing myself.  I played with severe discomfort for a couple of weeks, and then it kind of faded though it felt tight to make a reaching movement with my left arm.

Now months later, the pain is basically gone when it comes to golf, but every now and again if I do some unknown action with my swing I get what feels like popping sensation and the discomfort comes back for that swing.  The tightness when reaching never really went away either.  Most of the time it isn't a problem, its just something that occasionally bothers me and I was wondering if anyone has had something similar?  I'm currently trying to strengthen the muscles around that area to see if responds to what eventually got me over a partially torn rotator cuff.

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd see a doctor.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Just now, DrvFrShow said:

I'd see a doctor.

With my insurance I can't afford a MRI.  I got one for my rotator cuff a 2 years ago and my insurance only paid $80 of the bill .  I'm still paying the bill since its either pay off it quickly and struggle with my school loans or pay it off slowly and pump more money into those things I used for school.  Without an MRI, I'm not sure how much help a doctor would be able to give me.

Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD

I had this injury last spring/summer. You have pulled your intercostal muscles in your ribs. It is a nasty injury which requires a lot of downtime (4-6 weeks minimum more like 8 weeks) to let them repair. It happens as we get older. You need to research ways to heal and take time off from doing those motions such as winding up and releasing. It took 4 months to completely heal and that included lots of ibuprofen as an anti inflammatory and stretching. Take the time off to stop the inflamation or it won't go away and could take longer to heal. It is a difficult process that takes time and when you first feel like you are okay you are more than likely to re injure and make it as bad or worse. You just have to take your medicine or that painful stitch won't go away.  

Edited by Gator Hazard
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

I had this injury last spring/summer. You have pulled your intercostal muscles in your ribs. It is a nasty injury which requires a lot of downtime (4-6 weeks minimum more like 8 weeks) to let them repair. It happens as we get older. You need to research ways to heal and take time off from doing those motions such as winding up and releasing. It took 4 months to completely heal and that included lots of ibuprofen as an anti inflammatory and stretching. Take the time off to stop the inflamation or it won't go away and could take longer to heal. It is a difficult process that takes time and when you first feel like you are okay you are more than likely to re injure and make it as bad or worse. You just have to take your medicine or that painful stitch won't go away.  

I didn't play golf for about 11 weeks due to it being difficult to play with work after day light savings time fell back.  Now, from the sounds of it, I played through the majority of the repair time as I walked 9 holes 4-5 times a week with 1 day of walking 18 for 7-9 weeks after the injury....I know, I'm an idiot.

As it stands now I don't really notice it 90% of the time, its just something that pops up on a swing every now and then.  From the sounds of your healing time, I may have caused it to heal improperly leaving me with a hitch...:mellow:.  If I really just need to not do anything and it'll heal over time then I'd gladly do it, kicking and screaming the entire way as I already had a plan in place to push my handicap into the single digits by years end.

I don't like the sound of having something happen as "I get older," I'm only 26 damn it :-P.

Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD

Note: This thread is 2963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!