IGNORED

Quitting a round early - Why Would You Quit?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Most Frequent Reason You Cut a Round Short?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Other than severe weather (lightning, tornado) or the sun has been down long enough so one can not see the ball, what is the one most common reason you cut a round short?

• Important meeting/event
    • Scoring Poorly
    • Round is Too Slow
    • Injury
    • Anger/Disappointment/Frustration
    • Course is in Poor Shape/Uninteresting
    • Tired/Fatigue
    • Cart Breaks Down or Other Equipment Issue
    • Something Else - Please Describe

Other than severe weather (lightning, tornado) or the sun has been down long enough so one can not see the ball, what is the one most common reason you cut a round short?  I imagine some of us never stop in mid-round but most of us have stopped for some reason.

For me, it is a slow round.  I don't often stop after nine but every once in a while it does happen when things are really dragging.  Last year it was the reason for the only round where I intended to play 18 but stopped after 9.  What made it easier was I had joined a 2-some so it was not like I was abandoning a friend mid-round and forcing them to play on alone.  Also, I had a season pass to the course so there was no loss of money.

How about everyone else?

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've quit a round for pretty much every reason on the poll, lol. Most of my non-finishes come from my temper, though I've mellowed significantly and don't really do that anymore.

• Upvote 1

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

The only reason I can remember cutting a round short is that we got behind a big group outing of some sort, and after three holes, we went to the pro shop and asked for a rain check, which they gave us along with an apology.  

I was playing recently with a friend, who is also a senior and is somewhat overweight, and he just gave out physically at about the 16th hole.   So he just rode the rest of the way. 

• Upvote 1

I've stopped playing a couple of times because the course is horribly slow, but I voted other because I've quit many more times from playing with some pretty horrible people.  Usually completely oblivious people (not beginners or casual players but experienced ones) who are so self centered and insane that it's better to bail. 

• Upvote 3

—Adam

I quit a round early because I was striking the ball really poorly.  So instead of wasting everyone's time I went to the range to work on my swing.  

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

I've walked off a handful of times over the years and it's always due to running out of time because the course is too slow, so we left at he turn rather than continue the death march through the back 9. It's pretty rare though and if I don't have other "chores" that need attending too, I'll usually tough it out even if it's slow. I don't think I've ever left in frustration, but that may be just selective memory on my part!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I've quit when the round is too slow. Generally if 9 holes take 2:40 or more, I'd ask for a rain check for 9 holes. But if I'm playing in LA where I know it's always slow, I play on. 

Only at courses that I know has 4:15-4:30 for 18 holes "rule" that I would quit after 9, if it is too slow. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

For me it's only if the round is playing hopelessly slow.  Even then, if I'm in good company I'm not likely to quit if the rest of the group stays on.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Time constraints is about the only thing that would make me voluntarily cut a round short. That's why I voted something else. That said, I usually know how much time I have, and gettiing in a few holes is better than none at all. . 

Next might be an unexpected injury, or family matter. Anything else listed, and I just keep on playing. 

Although not a slow player myself, slow play has never bothered me. I just won't let others' actions on a course dictate anything to me. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 hour ago, Fourputt said:

For me it's only if the round is playing hopelessly slow.  Even then, if I'm in good company I'm not likely to quit if the rest of the group stays on.

Ditto.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

In over 40 years, I've never quit a round early.  I have been rained out.  And I have stopped due to darkness.  I'm there to play.  If it's too slow, I go ball hawking.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I've only ever left a course early twice.  

The first time was in 1998.  I was playing with a father and son on a resort course in Northern New Jersey.  It was taking FOREVER.  I think I bailed after the 9th hole.  It was an expensive round for me back then... upwards of $60... so to bail wasn't an easy decision.  Still... I couldn't take it.  They weren't horrible people... just excessively slow.

The only other time was last year.  I was playing a round by myself and when I got to the 13th tee... my stomach told me it was time to leave.  I barely made it back to the clubhouse in time.  

Outside of that... I can't remember leaving a course early for any reason.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

I've quit from being sick. Struggling through and not hitting my irons well at all and left after 9 holes - what would be the point in struggling for another 9? Work it out on the range. I've left when the weather got to where we had 20 mph wind with gusts up to 30 and straight rain in my face where I couldn't see the course - quit on the 5th hole - I had my rain gear on too. The wind just came up. Once when it got cold. I can't stand the cold. I can handle 90-95 degrees, but 45 degrees is too cold. And once from slow play - a 3 hr front 9 was a little much. Also once when the course was unplayable - got a raincheck.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

When I can, I try to play early in the morning and be the first one out before the slowdowns. So, the only time I quit was going to the back nine and when I made the turn, the course let a group start on the back nine. I could tell by their playing that this was going to take awhile and needed to get to work. Other than that.... I never quit. I remember being a bit reckless in my 20s and golfing in pouring rain and lightning.... that was totally stupid... no... I won't do that anymore (hehe). Most times, its hard to leave the course... I guess that's why the sun has to go down, eh? Time to go. 

Dave

Slow rounds are annoying, but the only time I've quit (other than the issues listed in OP) is because a ridiculously slow round would cause me to be late to an important meeting or event.

Ended a round early before on the 15th as i would have been late to get to a Huddersfield Town FC home game. We are doing so poor at the moment i would choose the golf over the soccer.

Only other reason would be thunder/lightning. My Uncle had a near miss and as soon as he hears thunder he's off

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Note: This thread is 2935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!