IGNORED

Quitting a round early - Why Would You Quit?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Most Frequent Reason You Cut a Round Short?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Other than severe weather (lightning, tornado) or the sun has been down long enough so one can not see the ball, what is the one most common reason you cut a round short?

• Important meeting/event
    • Scoring Poorly
    • Round is Too Slow
    • Injury
    • Anger/Disappointment/Frustration
    • Course is in Poor Shape/Uninteresting
    • Tired/Fatigue
    • Cart Breaks Down or Other Equipment Issue
    • Something Else - Please Describe

I voted round is too slow. I have had a few instances where I developed a migraine before while playing. Most common is when the course plays absurdly slow. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nine more than three?

I must flee

With much glee

Time's not free

Just let it be

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The only reason I've cut rounds short is pace of play. If I pay for 18 holes, I'm gonna try to get them all in come hell or high water. When I've left it is either because I'm about to miss dinner or the sun has set.

Slow play is the only reason I've quit a round before, other than bad weather and it was a brutally long round. 

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

On 2/7/2016 at 6:23 AM, bkuehn1952 said:

For me, it is a slow round.

This is the main reason for me, and apparently many others as well. . .

Life and time is short, and I'd rather not spend it all waiting for indecisive people on the course, a couple years ago I endured a few rounds in the 6-7 hour range. It's just not worth it to me any more.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

hail storm, volcano eruption, heart attack, armageddon, personal spontaneous combustion

not a lot of excuses other than those - and you can usually return and finish later for these

Bill - 

I've skipped out due to slow play a few times. Such a terrible feeling to do it, yet still better than the alternative. I know what courses/times to avoid in my area but every once in a while I'll still gamble and lose.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I have never quit a round. 
I paid for it, I am playing. Unless an injury prevents me from continuing.

I once got stung 5x's by bees, on my left hand, under ear, arm & leg.
I finished the round!

Quitting for any other reason, slow play, bad round is like throwing money away.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Slow play. When you start the day with two open holes for your foursome and you get to 12 and there is 2 foursomes waiting on the tee off, it's time to jump to the bar.

21 minutes ago, Elmer said:

I finished the round!

Quitting for any other reason, slow play, bad round is like throwing money away.

But time is money. If it's a beautiful Sunday afternoon and you know the back 9 is going to be 3+ hours, quitting early buys you back the opportunity to do something else enjoyable before the weekend is over.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

31 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

But time is money. If it's a beautiful Sunday afternoon and you know the back 9 is going to be 3+ hours, quitting early buys you back the opportunity to do something else enjoyable before the weekend is over.

I see your point and understand it.
If I made the decision to play, I am playing. I have already set aside the time, cleared my schedule and checked with SWMBO.

Most my local courses have you pay for 18 up front. If I walk off course after 9, I just donated $30+ to the course.
Dont think SWMBO is going to continue to finance my golf game if I am paying $60+ for 9 holes!

personally, I have 2 young kids, so I have to make good choices when comes to playing. If I am paying $60 to play on a sunday afternoon, I am playing. that being said I tend to play only 9 late on a sunday afternoon at a local course. I do so knowing that most people are eating dinner and the course will be empty 

Edited by Elmer
Additional info

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I can't recall ever quitting for a reason other than rain.  And I will play through a certain amount, especially if I have a cart with a windshield.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

2 hours ago, Elmer said:

I finished the round!

I once broke my left wrist on the 4th hole.  I not only finished the round but I shot an 82 and beat the guy I was playing with.  Not something that I would probably do these days though.  It's no fun playing with that kind of pain, but I was just too stubborn to stop.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I chose "something else" because the anger/frustration option wasn't a perfect fit.

For openers - if you're not having fun, call it a sunk cost and move on.

Way back in the day I would sit out a hole if I was getting seriously pissed. Happily that is way in the past - because of both game improvement and maturity.

In recent years I've only bailed twice. Once, during an early evening nine hole match play event, the wind got way out of hand (45k+) and our opponents included a kid who was super slow. At the next pass of the clubhouse, my partner wanted to leave and I agreed. Stuck the kid with a marker and just called it a night. I don't think I'd repeat this again, but it was miserable in a special way.

The other time included these factors: partner in his pocket and losing his temper, partner's girl in the cart crying because of family tragedy, and I just hooked one OB. Left for the bar...

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.   

I've left every for everything under the sun. It's usually time related and I lose patience thinking I could leave and do something more gratifying than waiting. Getting too many work call is a big one for me. I can't ignore it and if more than a half dozen or so leads to not being able to play shots or skipping shots out of respect for others around me I leave.

Dave :-)

I can only remember quitting once due to injury; I was walking and tore some muscles in my ankle and had to get a cart to get back to the parking lot and then a ride to the Dr. office.

Most likely reason is slow play, typically I will wait it out, but if I have somewhere else to be and I can see that I'm not going to be able to finish then I will try to jump ahead of the slowdown or just call it quits if the course is full up. The somewhere else to be is likely to be catching a flight, a kids game/concert, a business meeting, or dinner that I've tried to get in a quick round before the deadline.

Players play, tough players win!

I have played rounds of well over 5 hours, and unless they are interrupted by the sun going down, I soldier on... with a grudge.  I did quit once when I pulled an oblique muscle on a swing that was so far out of tempo that I am surprised I didn't hurt myself (or someone else!) worse: just the worst swing ever...

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

I only recall two times. First was a dreadfully slow round when I quit about midway through the back. The other was a round when I got a call about a work emergency (which wasn't really, once I got home to take care of it). 

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Note: This thread is 2935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!