IGNORED

Posting old scores

Baog
Note: This thread is 2960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I haven't had an official handicap for about 15 years because in the past several I've only been able to play 6-8 times per year. This year I joined a club so that I could play in tournaments and since I need five scores to get a handicap, I entered some scores in GHIN from my last few rounds in 2015 (since I play so rarely, I can remember them). When I was doing this, I forgot to change the date when posting a score from August so it defaulted to today and is now my most recent reported score. GHIN won't let me change the entry but says to "contact my club" to fix it, which seems like a hassle for everyone involved. It's not my lowest score but it's close, so it will probably be included in my handicap calculation for quite a while unless the date is changed. How big of a deal is this?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If they were solo rounds, they need to be dated prior to 12/31/2015. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

None of them were solo and they are all otherwise properly posted. My question is really, is it an ethical problem to ignore this issue and allow my scores to be posted in the wrong order? I expect it will be a hassle for me and whoever is in charge of score posting to have to go back and fix my mistake.

11 hours ago, Baog said:

GHIN won't let me change the entry but says to "contact my club" to fix it, which seems like a hassle for everyone involved. It's not my lowest score but it's close, so it will probably be included in my handicap calculation for quite a while unless the date is changed. How big of a deal is this?

Entering incorrect information after joining a club might be viewed negatively, especially when you intend to play "net" events at the club.  No one wants to be viewed as a Vanity Handicapper or a Sand Bagger.  Despite this, I don't see this as a big deal.  The score is one of your most recent 5 scores, just not in exactly the right order.  It will only make a difference once you have 20+ scores recorded.

I would recommend you play quite a few rounds at the club before you enter an event.  No one likes to see the new guy win the first event with a handicap based on 5 scores from a year ago.

Brian Kuehn

I think its worth a phone call, at minimum.  The pro shop staff can go into Ghin and change the dates to be correct.  Be sure to explain the sequence of events, and ask them to confirm that its appropriate to post these scores.  I don't see any problem, based on my understanding of the rules, but the club could have addditional  policies that might come into play.  I agree with @bkuehn1952, its a good idea to get a fair number of scores posted in the current year, even better if you can play those rounds with other members of the club.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

(edited)

Thanks for the input guys. I was leaning toward giving the course a call to see whether they think it's too much trouble to bother with. I'll try to let you know what they say.

Also, good points about trying to play with a few other members before the tournament season starts. I only know one guy that plays at the course but I think he's relatively well respected so I should try to play with him a time or two to make sure I'm less of an outsider.

Edited by Baog

On 2/8/2016 at 8:29 PM, Baog said:

I haven't had an official handicap for about 15 years because in the past several I've only been able to play 6-8 times per year. This year I joined a club so that I could play in tournaments and since I need five scores to get a handicap, I entered some scores in GHIN from my last few rounds in 2015 (since I play so rarely, I can remember them). When I was doing this, I forgot to change the date when posting a score from August so it defaulted to today and is now my most recent reported score. GHIN won't let me change the entry but says to "contact my club" to fix it, which seems like a hassle for everyone involved. It's not my lowest score but it's close, so it will probably be included in my handicap calculation for quite a while unless the date is changed. How big of a deal is this?

Tell your club handicap chair.  It is really no big deal for them to fix, the usga online management stuff for handicap chairs is pretty decent.  At least it was a couple of years ago when I was using it as my club's Hcap chair.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

20 hours ago, Baog said:

I just called the course. It was no big deal at all to change the date.

Not surprised, it is really easy for them.  Good call to keep it completely accurate.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

2 hours ago, turtleback said:

Not surprised, it is really easy for them.  Good call to keep it completely accurate.

If you start out being truthful and honest, you'll get the kind of reputation you want to have.  If there's any doubt, especially at the beginning of your relationship with the club, you could be under a cloud for a long time.  You've done the right thing, to make things accurate right from the start.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 2960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!