IGNORED

My heated driving range is closing

DrvFrShow
Note: This thread is 2960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yep, I just got the news. In September, 2016, it's gone. So there's no heated or indoor practice area unless I want to drive about 90 miles round trip and fight miserable traffic. This means winter practice will be on the golf course if the weather warms up into the mid 50s and it's not raining cats and dogs outside. I can't stand the cold weather. Otherwise the clubs go in the garage between mid November and March. 

The place was losing money monthly. I guess having 4 professional golfers on staff for lessons and their few club sales was a bit over-ambitious. Buying a Trackman this year didn't help them either because Trackman lessons cost more and most people who were taking lessons still needed help trying to hit the ball, and didn't need the detailed analysis that Trackman provides.

This said I had a guy hitting balls next to me today give me a couple of pointers with my driver. Really helped too, since I got the club on plane and hit some really nice shots after. Turned out he was a PGA professional. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Yep, I just got the news. In September, 2016, it's gone. So there's no heated or indoor practice area unless I want to drive about 90 miles round trip and fight miserable traffic. This means winter practice will be on the golf course if the weather warms up into the mid 50s and it's not raining cats and dogs outside. I can't stand the cold weather. Otherwise the clubs go in the garage between mid November and March. 

The place was losing money monthly. I guess having 4 professional golfers on staff for lessons and their few club sales was a bit over-ambitious. Buying a Trackman this year didn't help them either because Trackman lessons cost more and most people who were taking lessons still needed help trying to hit the ball, and didn't need the detailed analysis that Trackman provides.

This said I had a guy hitting balls next to me today give me a couple of pointers with my driver. Really helped too, since I got the club on plane and hit some really nice shots after. Turned out he was a PGA professional. 

That is unfortunate. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

About 10 years ago I had a heated range go up literally a half mile from my house. It didnt last 2 years so I feel your pain. Luckily theres one about 35 minutes from where I live now that seems to always be busy. They even have a simulator.

Sorry about the range closing. The driving range business is a bit tough. It seems that the longest running ranges are connected to courses or other businesses. I have two ranges not too far from me that have been in business for quite awhile.... One is part of the public park system with a course connected. The other range is connected to a local bar.

Dave

• Administrator

Golf Evolution, Northwest Branch?

Sorry to hear about the range. Are there nearer outdoor I heated ranges that stay open?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

There is a lighted,  night time, heated range in Vegas. Last I heard the heaters were not working. Not that they need the heaters around here. Most of the time, during the colder months,  if you can get out of the wind, it's easy to stay warm. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

That's the problem... getting out of the wind. The nearest next winter will be Interbay Golf Center in Seattle which is 50 miles from my house. My current range is an 8 mile drive and takes about 20 minutes by car. Interbay is a very nice facility but that 50 mile drive can take between one and two hours each way depending upon traffic. And that's a trek. If I'm going to drive that far, I'd rather play a round of golf because there's no guarantee a breeze won't be in my face in the heated bays.

Besides it's fun competing against people who have second homes on golf courses in Arizona and Florida in April. 

Julia

Spoiler

Bummer about the range. There are a few heated ranges around here but almost all are dead into the wind and still cold. I have pretty much given up going there.

In better news, today and tomorrow are pretty warm, good chance to get out a hit a few balls.

Michael

And I talked to the owner today. The rumor is only partially correct. They are closing in September but are only closing for six months for a complete renovation and remodeling into facility like Top Golf except with their own name on it. So basically my winter range woes are only for next winter. 

On a positive note, it has been warm the past few days and I've been at the range every day. The shoulders and knees are holding up just fine. Weight training works!

Julia

Spoiler

• Administrator
14 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

And I talked to the owner today. The rumor is only partially correct. They are closing in September but are only closing for six months for a complete renovation and remodeling into facility like Top Golf except with their own name on it. So basically my winter range woes are only for next winter. 

So, basically, the complete opposite. :-D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yep! It's amazing how the rumor mill gets things twisted. In the end I suffer through next winter, but it'll be better in the long run.

Julia

Spoiler

Note: This thread is 2960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!