IGNORED

The Legendary Callaway Great Big Bertha Tungsten Titanium Irons of 1997

Note: This thread is 2999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

NOSTALGIA: To buy or not to buy?  That IS the Question...

I grew up playing golf.  By age 8 I was pretty much an addict.  At the course, rain or shine, every single day after school in the spring and all summer long.  I would often play with older guys, me being the 4th in a foursome as I often went early (dawn ) and by myself.  The course was in walking distance so I could manage it by myself.  Like a lot of beginners and especially juniors, I had junk clubs.  Wilson Junior 1200s to be exact.  No lessons of any kind just a golf book by Ben Hogan and a lot of hard work and discipline on the range.  I was becoming a good junior golfer by age 11. I could break 85 consistently at my home course (and 90 else where).  Once in a while you would get a group of guys that had brand new equipment.  Personalized Staff bags.  Cigars.  Decked out with Ashworth gear and making wagers with one another for me was a lot of money. 

In 1997/1998 a lot of the clubs I saw in their bags were Callaway.  The Drivers.  The Irons.  Ping putters. ;-) I think a lot of guys grab the best gear thinking that status is important and the perceived "better" clubs would equate to "better" scores or they would feel "better" about shooting 100.  I started seeing more and more of these $2,000+ sets of irons: the fabled Callaway Great Big Bertha Tungsten Titanium Irons.  If I was really fortunate, my golf skills and attitude would endear me enough to the rest of the group that they would let me hit a couple balls during/after the round after I showed interest in their equipment.  I was hitting my knockoff driver (The Rogue) about 185 yards at the time.  Take out the "Great Big Bertha" and BOOM 210 yards!  My 7 iron was carrying about 125 yards... with the tungsten titanium it was MUCH longer.  Maybe it was the design/technology.  Maybe it was purely psychological.  Maybe it was luck or all of the above.  Whatever it was, I knew immediately that with these magical clubs in my bag I could take my game to the next level. 

Sadly, I never could afford the price tag... until now.  These clubs hold a special place in my heart.  These guys were reluctant to play with the skinny 11 year old kid with crap equipment... I didn't fit the mold of a "good" golfer.  They asked the starter if they could play with some one else because I would "slow them down."  They assumed I was a hacker.  And then I proved them wrong.  I beat the pants off these guys and although it made me happy to see them eat their words, I didn't show it.  I was breaking 85 and they were breaking 100... barely.  Seeing that they underestimated me and then befriend me over the course of 18 holes was special.  It taught me a lot about people, perception, life, and reality. 

***Would you purchase a set of clubs for nostalgia alone?  Would these clubs stack up against Callaway X 20 tour irons (what I have in the bag now)???  Have you ever had a similar experience on the course with new equipment?  What is your favorite iron set of the 90s? 2000s?  What were your first set of clubs?***

• Administrator

I'm not big on nostalgia. That said they probably don't cost much if you can find them.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sure, why not. I've got a set of the old Nike Forged Blades heads that Tiger used to play in the 2000s (the same model, not his actual clubs, obviously). They're still sitting in a box because I haven't put shafts in them (I suppose I'll have to go with Tiger's True Temper Dynamic Golds in X-stiff just to keep consistent). They were like $100 on Ebay. Even if I never play them, I just like the idea of having them around.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

As Erik said, if you want to indulge yourself it probably won't cost much. For the most part, high dollar clubs of the past are pennies on the dollar. A few PINGS still bring a little money. Beware the nostalgia bug, though if it bites hard, you may be a candidate for a "Hoarders" episode.

I play around with older clubs, but most of mine are actually used.  I do have a pristine set of MacGregor VIP remakes from about 92, and a decent set of Mac persimmon from the same era, all in a genuine leather black bag. I have less than $75 in the whole kit.

• Upvote 1

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 2999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!