IGNORED

Tee Shot Yips

Bill926
Note: This thread is 2991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

so the last 3 or 4 rounds I've played I get into the mess where I can't get off the tee with a driver, 3 wood or 3 hybrid.  They're not slices or pulls they are low shanks, usually 45 deg. to the right, that barely go 75 yards, and I can repeat it 3 or 4 holes in a row with any of my woods.  I'm a 15 handicap so my swing isn't perfect and I'm not expecting great tee shots, but this just started.  All other parts of my game are normal (for me).  I can hit a 5 or 6 iron off the tee and be on the green in 3 most of the time, but I don't want to resort to that for too long.  Hitting them on the range is ok as well.  Any ideas for a routine fix or something to get out of this?

thanks, Bill

Most likely too steep with driver or a bad slide forward motion or the spine straightens to an upright position.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, Bill926 said:

so the last 3 or 4 rounds I've played I get into the mess where I can't get off the tee with a driver, 3 wood or 3 hybrid.  They're not slices or pulls they are low shanks, usually 45 deg. to the right, that barely go 75 yards, and I can repeat it 3 or 4 holes in a row with any of my woods.  I'm a 15 handicap so my swing isn't perfect and I'm not expecting great tee shots, but this just started.  All other parts of my game are normal (for me).  I can hit a 5 or 6 iron off the tee and be on the green in 3 most of the time, but I don't want to resort to that for too long.  Hitting them on the range is ok as well.  Any ideas for a routine fix or something to get out of this?

thanks, Bill

I can relate with you, Bill. I have done that sooooo many times before. For me, I get a bit anxious to get the round going, don't concentrate and forget my basic swing thoughts. For that part, I take a big deep breath and try to take a second to refocus. 

I suggest posting a swing under MySwing as there many good golfers here that are much better than me that could help you out. 

Dave

Pretty hard to shank a driver or 3 wood.  An iron, yes.  So you must be hitting the toe of the wood.  I'd lay money that you're swaying.  Keep your head still.  Align the ball so that some mark is on the inside back of the ball and concentrate on that.  Setup with your head behind the ball and don't let it move down the target line.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

yes it is coming off the toe, not sure if that's considered a shank or not, and yes when that happens it does feel like i'm ahead of the ball and there's no room to swing through it.

14 hours ago, Bill926 said:

thanks, Bill

Bill,

I second posting a swing video. I had a similar issue and it turned out my set up was a bit too close to the ball. I focused on making my setup repeatable on the course in addition to the work I was doing on my swing.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Another common problem with what you're describing could be that your left arm is breaking down.  That effectively shortens the arc and may lead to toe shots.  I find practice with an impact bag really helps with tempo and getting the club back to the ball consistently.  Don't over swing.  take a little off to ensure better ball striking.  A slightly shorter tee shot is better than a shank (at least I think so). :-)

• Upvote 1

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I went for a 1/2 hour lesson last night with a well known instructor around here.  Been doing it for 25 years.  I told him what was going on and he chalked up the face of my driver and I hit a few.  No shanks thankfully, but they were all hitting out on the toe, some left and some right, nothing consistent.  He said that I should try to find a new position for the club to start at address, until I can get my hits closer to the center of the face.  So I tried a few starting closer to the heel, and yes I started hitting them closer to the center.

Then he asked what shape of shot do I try to hit off the tee,  I said I aim straight and hope it goes straight, and it gives room for left or right misses.  He said my swing path is slightly out to in, and I'll never hit it straight, aiming straight.  So then he says, aim 10 yards right and swing left to the center target.  I hit about 5 of those and they all either went straight to the target or started right and curved back to the target.

So, he said my swing path is good and powerful enough not to change, just play it.  What surprised me the most was the ball drawing.  I always thought a out to in path would not draw, because I cant start the ball to the right.

Oh well, I'll see how it goes.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Bill926 said:

So, he said my swing path is good and powerful enough not to change, just play it.  What surprised me the most was the ball drawing.  I always thought a out to in path would not draw, because I cant start the ball to the right. 

It can draw if you hit a pull draw. Something like path -2, face -4 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 hour ago, Bill926 said:

I went for a 1/2 hour lesson last night with a well known instructor around here.  Been doing it for 25 years.  I told him what was going on and he chalked up the face of my driver and I hit a few.  No shanks thankfully, but they were all hitting out on the toe, some left and some right, nothing consistent.  He said that I should try to find a new position for the club to start at address, until I can get my hits closer to the center of the face.  So I tried a few starting closer to the heel, and yes I started hitting them closer to the center.

Then he asked what shape of shot do I try to hit off the tee,  I said I aim straight and hope it goes straight, and it gives room for left or right misses.  He said my swing path is slightly out to in, and I'll never hit it straight, aiming straight.  So then he says, aim 10 yards right and swing left to the center target.  I hit about 5 of those and they all either went straight to the target or started right and curved back to the target.

Oh well, I'll see how it goes.  

I'm having a hard time getting my head around this. :-)

i may be explaining it wrong, but what i'm understanding is that if aim straight and try to hit it straight, it will never happen because of my path, and will result in inconsistency.  I can aim a little right and trust that my natural path will hit it back left.  My ball was consistently starting left of where I was aiming.

• iacas changed the title to Tee Shot Yips

try swinging with your eyes closed....Sometimes we must channel our inner Jedi, use the force and trust ability. Also it is common regardless of skill to stand closer than normal to the ball on the first tee or when under pressure, maybe make a point to check that during your pre shot routine?

Note: This thread is 2991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!