IGNORED

Putting Yips

DrvFrShow
Note: This thread is 2989 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I completely changed my own putting stroke this year.... twice. Last year I had a terrible case of the yips and was two and three putting a lot of greens - some of the two putts were on putts that were 3-4 footers resulting from chip ons. I averaged 37.8 putts per round. My back hurts when I bend over practicing putting for any length of time. I tried to fix it, but gave up after a while, decided that I needed to hit more GIRs and get closer to the pin. My putting would always be mediocre.

So at Xmas I bought a long putter .... cheap $60... no one wants them anymore. I tried side-saddle and practiced in my living room. I took it to the green yesterday and I didn't like it. I changed to the "shoulder-connected method" except with my right arm fully extended and right index finger along the shaft of the putter. I hold the putter gripped over the top like they would when anchoring it to the chest. Now I just rock my shoulders and arm as a unit. Having the right arm fully extended takes my right wrist completely out of the equation and that is what was causing my putting problem. Now, neither my forearm nor the putter head is touching my body. I am making a legal stroke at the ball. 

After about 15 minutes work, I was lag putting to within gimme range of the holes on the practice green. When I'd miss the mark, the four footer would still drop. Now this is with a completely new stroke, and not an anchored stroke either. I'm standing fairly upright too so it's easy on my back and I can practice for about 30 minutes every time I go to the range without dreading it.

While this might not cure my scoring woes this year, if I look at last years Game Golf analysis, I could save about 3 strokes a round by going from 37.8 putts per round to 34.8. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I tried a long putter 20+ years ago.  Didn't like it at all.  Now I have a short putter.  Luckily, no back issues.  BTW, sit ups do wonders for bad backs as long as there are no vertebrae issues.

I think the yips comes from moving the head when a person follows the ball.  I'm a mediocre putter due to not being able to read a putt, but I don't have the yips.  I find a spot in front of the ball on my line and most importantly, I watch the putter head hit the back of the ball.  I can start it out on line, but that line generally doesn't lead to the hole. 

Gary Player (Drive for show, putt for dough" guy) says all good putters have one thing in common.  They watch the putter head hit the back of the ball.  Don't move the head until the ball is well away from the putter.

Edited by vangator
  • Upvote 1

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Ive recently gone from a belly to a 34" putter. Really liked the the belly putter but struggled with distance control. after practicing with the short putter i seem to have more control. Will be keeping the belly though for when i get a older or the back starts to protest!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I experienced a bad case if the yips.I also bought a belly putter (which also nobody wanted, cheap but great quality). I experienced a bit with the belly (I got one to lean on, mwahahaha), but I didn't like it.

I switched to a claw grip before, which took my right hand away. I seem to have some sort of twitch in my right hand which immediately rises when I put the 'normal way'/conventional grip. Now I grip my putter in a Kuchar way combined with a claw grip. It helped me a lot. 3-4 feet put are now gimme's. Before, it was like table tennis with myself.

11 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

I completely changed my own putting stroke this year.... twice. Last year I had a terrible case of the yips and was two and three putting a lot of greens - some of the two putts were on putts that were 3-4 footers resulting from chip ons. I averaged 37.8 putts per round. My back hurts when I bend over practicing putting for any length of time. I tried to fix it, but gave up after a while, decided that I needed to hit more GIRs and get closer to the pin. My putting would always be mediocre.

So at Xmas I bought a long putter .... cheap $60... no one wants them anymore. I tried side-saddle and practiced in my living room. I took it to the green yesterday and I didn't like it. I changed to the "shoulder-connected method" except with my right arm fully extended and right index finger along the shaft of the putter. I hold the putter gripped over the top like they would when anchoring it to the chest. Now I just rock my shoulders and arm as a unit. Having the right arm fully extended takes my right wrist completely out of the equation and that is what was causing my putting problem. Now, neither my forearm nor the putter head is touching my body. I am making a legal stroke at the ball. 

After about 15 minutes work, I was lag putting to within gimme range of the holes on the practice green. When I'd miss the mark, the four footer would still drop. Now this is with a completely new stroke, and not an anchored stroke either. I'm standing fairly upright too so it's easy on my back and I can practice for about 30 minutes every time I go to the range without dreading it.

While this might not cure my scoring woes this year, if I look at last years Game Golf analysis, I could save about 3 strokes a round by going from 37.8 putts per round to 34.8. 

Back in 2010, I changed to a longer putter for my height, 35.5" and I am 5'10" because bending over gave my back fatigue. I have better posture with this setup, my aim is good (confirmed by a fitting) and my stroke and putting are doing fine (31-32 putts per round). If the above doesn't work out, consider using a longer putter and standing taller.

I think many of us see Jack, Phil, Arnie and Michelle bent way over and think we need to be on top of the ball. The reality from my point of view is your putting set up should have you in a relaxed, controlled position where you can aim well and make a repeatable stroke without unnecessary tension.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The putter I bought is a 48" Odyssey Dart. What I needed to do was find a way of keeping my right wrist out of the stroke. This putter is way too heavy for my wrist to do anything especially with my right arm fully extended. Time will tell by the number of putts that go in the hole. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I mat go to my 27" putter this weekend.  I have pretty good distance control with it.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Note: This thread is 2989 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!