IGNORED

2016 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am Discussion

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 minute ago, SavvySwede said:

I think it says 58 because he hasn't finished yet. PGA Tour website has him -6 through 17

Friggin CBS Sports was showing his 2nd round complete.

I went to his scorecard copied it, pasted the results, but after removing formatting it was too difficult to read.

So, I then posted the above and  went back to the leaderboard and saw it was different.

Grrrrrr, CBS. :pound:

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I must have selected the wrong "x"

ROUND 2 - Monterey Peninsula CC

Sung Kang was 11 under today......

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Strapped for time? Watch a bunch of amateur swings in the time it takes for you to say, "Back back back back back." Homework - name the celebs in the video. I see a lot of Key #2, not good.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

What happened to Vaughn Taylor in 2011, 2014? Injuries? 

vt.png.a473a3cecf6a857256023a0b93f7f43d.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
Just now, nevets88 said:

What happened to Vaughn Taylor in 2011? Injuries? 

vt.png.a473a3cecf6a857256023a0b93f7f43d.

Similar to what happened to him in 2012… and 2013? He didn't play well. Isn't that it?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

54 minutes ago, iacas said:

Similar to what happened to him in 2012… and 2013? He didn't play well. Isn't that it?

I don't know. I didn't watch much of the tournament, so I thought maybe someone who watched might have heard a comment about it.

Steve

They said his swing fell apart and he'd bounced back and forth to other tours... He said at the end that he didn't even have a tour card coming in.  He seems like  a very soft spoken guy and I think he was as surprised as anyone to have won and now have a chance to keep playing. Kind of a nice story unless your a Phil fan and saw his 5 footer lip out on 18.

I was busy yesterday and had to record the last round

I knew who won, but I watched about 2 hours (skipped commercials & fluff) and Pebble was amazing yesterday, great weather, the surf up enough to have impressive spray on 18, great camera work (especially the overhead stuff). I didn't care that much about the shots or who was moving up/down the leaderboard.

It was an amazing show from one of the great cathedrals for the religion of golf

Players play, tough players win!

Until this past week, If Taylor did not have bad luck, he had no luck at all.

A story from golfweek:

A week ago, playing in his second straight Web.com Tour event in Bogota, Colombia, Taylor was stricken by a stomach virus so severe he needed nourishment from an IV and ended up withdrawing after just a handful of holes.

Last weekend, he flew to California on Saturday rather than return home to Georgia because the flight was cheaper. He had taken his small golf bag with him to avoid those pesky baggage fees that kick in after you exceed the 50-pound limit, too. As first alternate for the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am, his spot was not even guaranteed until Carl Pettersson withdrew.

So naturally, by the end of the weekend, there was Vaughn Taylor rallying from a six-stroke deficit to defeat Hall of Famer Phil Mickelson on one of golf’s most iconic courses.

Eleven years after that last victory, Taylor has job security again, fully exempt through the 2017-18 season and ranked 15th on the FedExCup. He’s now headed for Los Angeles and this week's Northern Trust Open -- a tournament for which he had originally planned to Monday qualify.

And come April, the man who grew up and still lives in the Augusta, Ga., area will be playing in his Super Bowl the rest of us called the Masters for the first time since 2008.

"I just kept working, kept grinding." Taylor said almost shyly. "And I can't believe it actually happened today."

Interesting Story:

What Taylor calls a "life-changing moment" two years ago when he was fishing in the Savannah River near their home, the same water where he once caught a record 56-pound striper, and the boat capsized.

Taylor was alone, caught in the fast-moving current. He wasn't wearing a life jacket, one of several mistakes he made that day. The water temperature was in the low 50s even though it was a hot summer day.

"You think it's easy to swim or that, but it really changes when the water's up to your nose and you don't know what's happening," Taylor said. "It was pretty scary. I really thought for a minute that this could be it. Once the panic kind of wore off and I realized, OK, let's get your self together, then I kind of calmed down and I knew I was going to be okay."

Taylor's tackle box came floating toward him. He grabbed it to see if he could stop swimming and rest. Finally he was able to catch his breath and assess his situation. A park ranger was able to guide Taylor to shore.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

With all the attention being paid to the start of the year for Jordan Speith and Phil in the last couple of weeks was nice to get one of those "feel good" stories regarding the recent hard times and the surprise victory by Vaughn Taylor. 

Shot of Vaughn and his family in shock and then celebration after Phil's lip out on 18 was certainly better than any "manufactured reality" that one finds on TV these days.

• Upvote 1

Philip didn't play well enough to win. 72 wasn't going to pull away from anyone. And that pitch on the last hole wasn't very good for him.

Colin P.

2 hours ago, Coronagolfman said:

With all the attention being paid to the start of the year for Jordan Speith and Phil in the last couple of weeks was nice to get one of those "feel good" stories regarding the recent hard times and the surprise victory by Vaughn Taylor. 

Shot of Vaughn and his family in shock and then celebration after Phil's lip out on 18 was certainly better than any "manufactured reality" that one finds on TV these days.

The whole season so far, except for Jordan's blow out at the Hyundai has been exciting and seems to come down to the last few shots. This week was no exception. Phil can definitely still compete at the highest level despite his age.

No doubt this was an epic win for Taylor and he deserved it but he has won over $12M on the tour already.

It is a feel good story for TV but its not like he is a Monday qualifier with zero balance in his bank account.

Edited by ay33660

2 minutes ago, ay33660 said:

No doubt this was an epic win for Taylor and he deserved it but he has won over $12M on the tour already.

It is a feel good story for TV but its not like he is a Monday qualifier with zero balance in his bank account.

I'm trying to reconcile that with him using a carry bag instead of a staff bag to save on baggage expenses. I guess when you're not playing well, you gotta plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Steve

I think if I were a pro I would use a stand bag instead of a staff bag. I don't care if someone else is carrying it, I like stand bags better. Plus I would pay my caddie less for not having to carry as much. :beer:

Colin P.

7 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I think if I were a pro I would use a stand bag instead of a staff bag. I don't care if someone else is carrying it, I like stand bags better. Plus I would pay my caddie less for not having to carry as much. :beer:

Are caddies like airlines you pay based on how much the bag weighs?  

Joe Paradiso

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

I'm trying to reconcile that with him using a carry bag instead of a staff bag to save on baggage expenses. I guess when you're not playing well, you gotta plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Just because you have money doesn't mean you have to spend it.  We also don't know what his current financial situation is.  Plus, given his recent lack of success at the time, he might have thought that what he had already earned would have to last him the rest of his life.

25 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Well, maybe, but there are things you or I wouldn't put in our golf bags that go into the staff bags that only a pro would need to worry about -- for example, a spare pair of shoes in case of a spike issue.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Can we talk about how awful CBS's coverage on Sunday was? There were a few times where they would show 2 putts and then go to commercial. If Phil wasn't involved, I would have turned this off in a hurry. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 2991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!