IGNORED

Competitive Leagues/Tours/Tournaments for amateurs.

freshmanUTA
Note: This thread is 2967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

FYI: I'm too close to being 18 to worry about AJGA so we can already avoid that route. I'm also taking ComCol Classes so I'm ineligible anyway.

So, I want to get down to as low of a handicap as I can this summer and since my classes end in the middle of march I'll have a lot of free time before September when I transfer schools, and I want to find as many highly competitive tournaments as I can. I'm not scratch so I won't be looking for pro qualifiers, but I'd like to be able to by the end of this or next year. I know, tough goal to reach but I think I can manage it. 

What at are some of the best places for amateurs to play to get good competition, and maybe even some college coaches if I do start playing well. I've looked at a  "Tour" already in the Golf Channel Amateur tour, and I don't know where else to look. I've never really done this before and since I'm almost 18 I can't participate in any of the junior tournaments.

Can an anyone help me find tournaments/tours/whatever that are highly competitive. I'm going to be living in Chicago when my parents move out here and I can finally get out of my grandparents house So I'd prefer them to be in the Midwest and maybe some tournaments in areas like Georgia, Florida or other places.

BTW: There's not a golf team at my school since it's just a education based community college. There are others with a team but not mine :/

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A great place to find the most competitive amateur tournaments in the country, and I mean the best since most of them are invitationals, but some are not is http://www.scratchplayers.org/USA.calendar.html. I don't know if these are the right strength for you, but when I plan my upper level tournaments for the summer this is where I go. Hopefully this helps and if you want more information, just contact me!

-Austin Sachs

Austin Sachs - Mid-level Amateur in the Eastern United States

WITB: Titleist 915 D3, Cleveland 588 3 Wood, Nike Covert Tour Hybrid, Mizuno MP-4 4-PW, Mizuno MP-T4 52, 56, 60 degree, Taylormade White Smoke Putter

59 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

best places for amateurs to play to get good competition

Contact a "local golf association" http://www.usga.org/SRGALookup/regional_state_associations.asp

For the Chicago area it would be -

Chicago District Golf Association
Midwest Golf House
11855 Archer Avenue
Lemont, IL 60439
(630)-257-2005 Fax: (630) 257-2088
rmarkionni@cdga.org

Robert Markionni, Executive Director

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

1 hour ago, Austin_Sachs said:

A great place to find the most competitive amateur tournaments in the country, and I mean the best since most of them are invitationals, but some are not is http://www.scratchplayers.org/USA.calendar.html. I don't know if these are the right strength for you, but when I plan my upper level tournaments for the summer this is where I go. Hopefully this helps and if you want more information, just contact me!

-Austin Sachs

Hey, I won't get better without playing better players.

5 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Contact a "local golf association" http://www.usga.org/SRGALookup/regional_state_associations.asp

For the Chicago area it would be -

Chicago District Golf Association
Midwest Golf House
11855 Archer Avenue
Lemont, IL 60439
(630)-257-2005 Fax: (630) 257-2088
rmarkionni@cdga.org

Robert Markionni, Executive Director

Thanks so much, should I explain my situation or just ask for tournaments around my appropriate handicap?

1 minute ago, freshmanUTA said:

just ask for tournaments

They should have a website to explain joining and a schedule of events.

They also have various divisions for play, scratch, net, age etc.

The best part about being a member is the opportunity to play great courses at a reasonable price.

USGA also has local events, mid-am, open qualifiers etc.

And Golf Channel has local events around the USA.

• Upvote 2

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Note: This thread is 2967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!