IGNORED

Shaping the Ball (For Trouble Shots) Videos?

Note: This thread is 2904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does anyone any quality youtube or vimeo videos they could suggest. I tried to read the thread on here but I have not been patient enough to glean the info. I have searched and watched a few videos but have not been very impressed with the ones I have seen.

TIA

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Here you go.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

15 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Does anyone any quality youtube or vimeo videos they could suggest. I tried to read the thread on here but I have not been patient enough to glean the info. I have searched and watched a few videos but have not been very impressed with the ones I have seen.

TIA

The post that @iacas references is great information, but I think the most important part of it for most of us is near the end, under the heading A Quick Word on Shaping the Ball.  If you have limited practice time, like most of us do, and/or limited ability, your time will be better spent in developing a reliable repeatable consistent shot shape.  One shape.  And use that one shape every chance you get.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

15 hours ago, iacas said:

Here you go.

You have a video in there?

16 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

TIA

I would like to see the swing in action.

2 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

If you put two videos side by side of one pro hitting a draw and a fade you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The path and face angle only need to change a couple of degrees. 

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

4 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

If you put two videos side by side of one pro hitting a draw and a fade you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The path and face angle only need to change a couple of degrees. 

I don't really need to just see the shots hit, more like a reliable walk through on the process. It seems like I get it but I often end up with a straight shot instead of draw or fade. Maybe I should just emulate Bubba.

8 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

I don't really need to just see the shots hit, more like a reliable walk through on the process. It seems like I get it but I often end up with a straight shot instead of draw or fade. Maybe I should just emulate Bubba.

You can't expect to be able to shape your shots consistently if it gives the pros trouble.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

You have a video in there?

You don't change the swing. You just change the setup. That's described in the linked thread.

But as was already pointed out… you shouldn't really be trying to work the ball all that often. Just develop and hit your stock shot. Own your pattern.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

You don't change the swing. You just change the setup. That's described in the linked thread.

But as was already pointed out… you shouldn't really be trying to work the ball all that often. Just develop and hit your stock shot. Own your pattern.

I really only want this ability for trouble shots. I tried changing the set up with intermittent success. I just feel like I should be able to do this on a regular basis to get out of trouble but can't depend on the shot. I was thinking a video would help me see it better.

• Administrator
Just now, Valleygolfer said:

I really only want this ability for trouble shots. I tried changing the set up with intermittent success. I just feel like I should be able to do this on a regular basis to get out of trouble but can't depend on the shot. I was thinking a video would help me see it better.

Maybe you didn't set up extremely enough.

For trouble shots, though, it's good to develop a hard cut and a hard hook. I'm heading out but maybe someone else can find a video for you.

• iacas changed the title to Shaping the Ball (For Trouble Shots) Videos?
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2016 at 11:42 AM, SavvySwede said:

You can't expect to be able to shape your shots consistently if it gives the pros trouble.

All I know is that this is simple physics and given proper set up and swing you should be able to achieve the shot

On 2/15/2016 at 0:15 PM, iacas said:

Maybe you didn't set up extremely enough.

For trouble shots, though, it's good to develop a hard cut and a hard hook. I'm heading out but maybe someone else can find a video for you.

Maybe. I think I had the club face wrong (although I some how got a few to draw significantly), as I recall I had a fairly closed stance, ball back in the set up and a closed club face which I believe the club face is supposed to be open or aimed to the right....which might be why I am getting straight shots. I am trying to picture the swing path/impact flight outcome but can't, maybe it is straight. Although I am predisposed to fade/slice, I can't seem to pull them off at will but maybe the setup is the issue.

I don't think I've ever come across a video that covers this.

Many trouble shots require very low or very high to get under or over trees / branches. Because they are usually out of the rough as well, trying to also shape makes it a bit of a hero shot. First be aware of the face to path relationship (D-Plane) for shot shape. Because of the rough you should at least expect less curvature than with clean lies because of the reduced friction. My personal experience is that it's possible in lighter rough, particularly if you exaggerate the difference between the path and face. Hitting a low cut / slice is tough, but made a bit easier by taking more club (less loft) and gripping down.

Kevin

• 1 month later...

Often (but not always) a trouble / recovery situation involves keeping the ball low to avoid tree branches. If this is the situation you are wondering about, I find that the typical setup for a low punch gripping down with hands forward (for de-loft) narrower stance (moving the ball effectively back) plus also maybe actual moving the ball back a bit in the stance tends to make it harder to cut the ball while favoring the draw.

For the low cut, it might be worth experimenting on the range with a slightly forward ball position so you catch the ball a bit later in the arc when the swing path is tending to move to the inside of the target line. Because moving ball position slightly forward it may also add bias toward a higher shot so I think  it's helpful to exaggerate the hands forward de-loft through impact and/or take slightly more club (& grip down) more, which helps with keeping the ball low and tilting the spin axis (curve it). In addition to exaggerating the face/path difference, I would also emphasize the 'low left' exit with the hands.

These seem relevant:

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

Note: This thread is 2904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!