IGNORED

What's Your Swing Speed?

Zakko
Note: This thread is 3597 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think I'm with you stow. It's amazing how many guys here swing as fast as the tour pros. I can't wait until I get there, I'm excited, I think it will bring my handicap down.

thats a good ss, because im 15 as well (not for long) and im 5, 8 with a s of around 97-100

all I can say is drive for show... putt for dough. I average 105-110 and hit the ball plenty far. On average I bet I can hit a 6 iron closer than you can hit a 7I or even an 8I. Give me 50 balls and you 50 balls I will double the bet that my worst one is better than your worst one. My point is not to boast. It is to show that swing speed does not mean a whole heck of a lot. Control is the most important factor.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

I went to to the Golf store and managed to test my ss. I tried to coil my body more, and increase tewmpo speed, while maintaining a smooth solid swing.

The average was around 104mph like last time, except I find since coiling the body more I could reach higher speeds with more control. I managed to blast 2 balls at 114 mph, one had a 1.4 smash factor the other was a 1.45. The one at 1.4 had too much sidespin and lost that ball in the woods, the other was nicer, but still had too much backspin, it carried around 285-290. The average distance was around 260, with carries around 240+.

all I can say is drive for show... putt for dough. I average 105-110 and hit the ball plenty far. On average I bet I can hit a 6 iron closer than you can hit a 7I or even an 8I. Give me 50 balls and you 50 balls I will double the bet that my worst one is better than your worst one. My point is not to boast. It is to show that swing speed does not mean a whole heck of a lot. Control is the most important factor.

Great, then we'll head over and have a long drive, and i'll outdrive you by a mile.

Nobody seems to doubt peoples claims to low scores, but make them feel less manly by posting a high ss and they are quick to call bs.

DRIVER: 905r 8.5 UST V2 75 X
3 WOOD: 906f2 15 UST 85 X
HYBRID/IRON: Rapture Hybrid/3 Iron
IRONS: MX 200 Dynamic Gold X100
WEDGES: 52, 56, 60 600PUTTER: Geurin Rife Two Bar BALLS: Pro V1xGLOVE: SoftjoySHOES: Reelfit "Do those pump up?"BAG: Sun Mountain

my average swing speed, measured at multiple shops, is 119mph. at 119 its a normal swing, when I lay into it and still have a straight shot every once and a while, my swing speed is 126. im not built like your average golfer, im 6'4" 295 and bench 285, so you really cannot say that i'm "not capable" of such things because i'm not a tour pro.

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

why would you even say that? a 120 ss is incredibly fast, and anyone who has that is in the minority, in fact the average male ss for a driver is 80-85.

To me a 120 ss isn't incredibly fast, the 135-140mph ss on the long drive tour is incredibly fast to me. Just so happens that most of those guys are incredibly strong and athletic.

You're right, the average driving distance for men is what 195, I find that incredibly sad. Anybody with a lick of athletic ability should be able to hit it 250. A grown man of course, i'm not talking about teenagers still growing, so the 15 years olds need not complain :) It's no coincidence that if you compare professional athletes to celebrity actors who play golf, it's not even close, the athletes blow them away. On average, please don't point to Charles Barkley as an example ;), he's just tall and can jump 3 inches and put a ball in a hoop.

WEDGES: 52, 56, 60 600PUTTER: Geurin Rife Two Bar BALLS: Pro V1xGLOVE: SoftjoySHOES: Reelfit "Do those pump up?"BAG: Sun Mountain

my average swing speed, measured at multiple shops, is 119mph. at 119 its a normal swing, when I lay into it and still have a straight shot every once and a while, my swing speed is 126. im not built like your average golfer, im 6'4" 295 and bench 285, so you really cannot say that i'm "not capable" of such things because i'm not a tour pro.

Nice ss.

On a side note, if you can bench that much, which I am not doubting, what routine do you have when you get stuck at a certain weight. For example I am stuck at a weight, for bench and am having some problems trying to increase it.

Nobody seems to doubt peoples claims to low scores, but make them feel less manly by posting a high ss and they are quick to call bs.

haha so true. MiniMoe is obviously a little bit sour about the fact that people with higher handicaps than him hit it farther than he does, and therefore has to try and knock them down a peg by saying how he could whoop them so bad on the course. Super.

Cleveland Hi-bore 9.5* stiff, Taylormade Burner T3 14.5* stiff, Mizuno mp 32 3-PW, Nike SV Tour Black Satin 52, 56, 60* wedges, Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 35 inches
In the market for a new driver, then my bag will be the shiz.

Not doubting the swingspeed, but what do weight and bench ability have to do with swingspeed, or the capability to achieve a certain swingspeed?

I think I'm with you stow. It's amazing how many guys here swing as fast as the tour pros. I can't wait until I get there, I'm excited, I think it will bring my handicap down.

lol i also bet it is amazing how many fairways they hit. hah

Hitting fairways is highly overrated.

Actually I take that back..... it depends on how far you hit the ball and what club you usually hit into the greens.

If you're constantly hitting middle and long irons into greens, then yes, I agree if you're in the rough you're gonna pay a big price.

However when i'm hitting SW-8 into the green, the rough has very little effect on my shots. For one, flyer lies don't affect higher lofted clubs usually at all, 7-4 irons are most affected by flyer lies. So now the only lie that has any effect is one sitting down deep. But you can get SW-8 out of those types of lies, I agree though 7-4 iron would be almost impossible.

Another advantage when you hit the ball far, is you usually hit it higher, which helps stop the ball on the green out of the rough. Sure my shots might roll out 5-10 feet instead of stopping near it's pitch mark. Sure, 4-7 irons will come in much lower and roll off the green, I understand that, I just very rarely have to play that long of an iron into a green.

So I understand when the shorter hitters are so concerned with hitting the fairway. For me, all I need to be is between the trees.

Not doubting the swingspeed, but what do weight and bench ability have to do with swingspeed, or the capability to achieve a certain swingspeed?

IMHO, it has a great deal with being able to generate speed.

Now, i'm not just talking weight , if you're all fat, it won't help. But if you workout, and or played other sports (seriously) and built up your overall strength and learned how to use your body effectively to generate power it makes all the difference in the world. I played college football and was recruited to play college baseball.... during the spring one year I tried out for our golf team.... Keep in mind this was 12 years ago, before the new technology. The top 3-4 guys on the team were only out there 230 yards off the tee. I was blowing it by these guys by 30-40 yards. They were all skinny kids who never played anything other than golf growing up. Could they hit the ball straight, and could they put their 3 wood on the green from 210 after their drive, sure. But had they spent any time developing more athletically and building up their strength, they would have been much better golfers IMHO. Did they beat me, sure did, they turned in scores between 73-76 generally. I turned in 77-78. Had they played my drives I have no doubt they'd have turned in around 70 though. On a side note... The golf coach said I could play and would contend for the 5-6 spot on the team. My ahole football coach ( who wasn't expecting me to make the team, let me try out) wouldn't let me play, said he needed me there for spring ball >:|

I don't think it's ANY coincedence that almost all of the great golfers in history, have been both strong and athletic.

Jack Nicklaus was built like a linebacker (and played football very well, as well as many other sports)

Arnold Palmer, did you see his arms , pretty damn strong.

Lee Trevino, same thing.

Gary Player, at his height, without his fitness and athletic ability you'd never have heard of him.

Tiger Woods

Wasn't Hale Irwin a college hockey player?

Did you know that Chi Chi Rodriguez could throw 95+ fastballs and could have played baseball.

Jerry Kelly also an excellent hockey player.

Coincedence? I don't think so.

Golf as a sport for the skinny sticks is over. You have to remember, until Tiger, the athletes never played golf. It was always the kids
who couldn't or didn't play any other sport.

Now you'll have those same athletes playing golf as well, and that's where I think we'll see some of the best golfers come out of.

Over the next 20 years I guarantee you'll continue to see the PGA Tour dominated by guys who look like Tiger, JB Holmes, KJ Choi, Bubba Watson.

If you look at the skinny successful guys on tour, they are all very tall, which helps them generate speed. Accuracy isn't enough anymore, you need the
distance also to compete out there.

Take a look at the top 100 golfers in Hollywood vs the Top 100 golfers in professional sports.

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/hollywood

You've got , count it now, 4 golfers under a 5 handicap in Hollyweird.

http://www.golfdigest.com/rankings/2...ankings_gd2007

Add in the top 100 from Music, and you've still only got 14 players under a 5.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2857062

The entire top 100 athletes are under a 5.

Coincedence? I don't think so.

Not really sour about anything. Over the years I have come to realize that distance is not all that important in the game of golf. Putting is the most important aspect of the game. The guys that win on tour win because they get hot with putter.

What would be a good stat to figure out would be to see how close tour players get the ball to the hole with each individual club. Like Tigers average distance from the hole with a 7I. Do it with each player. Then you can see if the big hitters really have an advantage. Over the course of a season, I bet the short hitters will hit it closer to the pin with 7 irons than the long hitter will when hitting 9 irons.

The only real advantage the long hitters have is on the par 5's. And a good wedge game can take that advantage away.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

Not really sour about anything. Over the years I have come to realize that distance is not all that important in the game of golf. Putting is the most important aspect of the game. The guys that win on tour win because they get hot with putter.

You're right, distance is not the most important. However, what do you think is easier: Guy 1: Max swing speed 115 who swings normall at 110 or Guy 2: Max swing speed of 130 who only needs to swing 3/4 to generate 110 mph. Easier for guy 2 to be accurate IMHO

I actually think we agree on this.

Were not really arguing anything. You acknowledge that distance is an advantage, and in order for shorter hitters to overcome it , they have to be more accurate. And I think we'll all agree that somebody with an average driving distance of 240-250 is NEVER playing and dominating on the PGA Tour, so don't tell me distance isn't "all that important" If you can't hit the ball a certain distance, you simply have NO chance, as you're distance goes up, your odds just get better and better. And according to Dave Pelz , the most accurate golfer still missed their shots by an average of 7% error. So there are limits on accuracy. Give me a golfer who drives it 230 and give him the best accuracy ever of 7% error, he still has NO chance of playing on the PGA Tour.

IMHO, it has a great deal with being able to generate speed.

I never said being athletic didn't help, I said there is no correlation between weight, benching and driving distance (swingspeed).

Top 10 in driving distance on PGA Tour Bubba Watson 6'3 180lbs 315 yards Robert Garrigus 5'11 175lbs 311 yards JB Holmes 5'11 190lbs 310 yards Dustin Johnson 6'4 190lbs 309 yards Steve Allan 5'10 180lbs 303 yards Tag Ridings 6'1 185lbs 303 yards Nick Watney 6'2 180lbs 302 yards Adam Scott 6'0 170lbs 302 yards Davis Love III 6'3 175lbs 301 yards Charles Warren 5'8 160lbs 301 yards Can't speak for their benching, but none of these guys are big, in fact none are over 190lbs! The motion of benching has nothing to do with the golf swing. The main strength you need is to be able to maintain posture. Flexibility is also a big factor.

Note: This thread is 3597 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!